Help! I can't win the frizz fight (yet!)

Ok so here is what I have been doing

I have been using curl junkie curl assurance daily conditioner, I use that to wash my hair, sometimes I leave some in, sometime I don't. I then use the curl junkie curl jellie and brush that through my wet hair. I then do the super soaker method and soak the curls to get clumps, use a curl cloth to get rid of extra moisture, and the I use curls in a bottle by gently scrunching it into my hair, then I plop it. After I take the plop out I have some great clumpy curls and they look like they are goign to be fabulous, I spray on a little curl junkie curl enhancing spray and let them air dry.

But here comes the frizz! As they dry they don't stay together! I don't touch them until they are completely dry, yet the frizz comes anyway. Do I need another product to hold them together better?

I will say I am new to this and I LOVE the fact that my curls are defined, yet they are soft and there is no crispy product to crunch out. So I am hoping the answer doesn't involve a crsipy product that needs to be scrunched out after it is dry.

I have hair that is about down to my bra strap, 3a curls, normal porosity and normal texture.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I am so looking forward to the day I have clearly defined curls that are soft and shiny!

Thank you!

Comments

• pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't have the skills to read your post and tell you what the issue is. Sorry. Two common causes of frizz are lack of moisture in hair. This is really common in the first stages of CG. Another common cause is using humectants in styling products and leave in conditioners in humid conditions.

Here are two big threads on frizz that may help.
    types of frizz
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=10134
    Pay special attention to post #5
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Okay, just some things for you to look into:

1. CJ CA is a condish I like a lot. But I don't think it's a good cowash condish. It's got a cone and a polyquat....so if this is what you're using to wash, it might build up. Consider using CJ DF for your cowash, as it has chelating agent and it's got no silicones.

2. Curl Junkie, while a fabulously moisturizing quality line that is one of my staples in rotation and near-daily use in some form, doesn't have much by way of protein. If this is your routine, you need to consider if you're protein-moisture balance is out of whack. I get weird feeling curls and frizz when I'm deficient in protein.

You may have both build-up AND protein deficiency. Could be.

3. Rotate products. Some of us have hair that just doesn't do well on the same system day in and out. Consider acquiring another system, ideally another TWO that you can rotate. One with protein. One more moisturizing. And a third option that's flexible. This will assure you can switch things up. Try a new system and see how that goes, one with different profile to what you already use. (Ie, if what you use has a lot of glycerin, try something without. If what you use has no protein, try with protein. You get my drift..)

4. Make sure you have at least one lowpoo in your arsenal to use when you SUSPECT you have build-up. A silicone free one. I use the CJ one, and I use Abba Pure Gentle (I have allergies), and when I really need to clean things up, I use Elucence Clarifying or [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Come-Clean-Moisturizing-Shampoo-p-844.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Kinky-Curly-Come-Clean-Moisturizing-Shampoo]Kinky Curly Come Clean[/buylink].

5. Scale back. Drop the curl fuel and see what happens. Drop the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-Curls-in-a-Bottle-p-995.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curl-Junkie-Curls-in-a-Bottle]CIAB[/buylink] and see what happens. Go minimal (cleanse and condition) and see what hair looks like without stylers. Sometimes, you can't see what the issue or what product may be problematic is because there is so much stuff piled on. Try a different drying/styling technique. Maybe don't plop. Maybe don't supersoak. Maybe soak out moisture before applying products. Maybe brushing in products with a Denman. It's worth experimenting.

But if I had to give you ONE pointer right now and you know for a fact you are NOT protein-sensitive: clarify and then do a deep protein tx followed by a deep condish. See how that does it for you.

If you have Curl Junkie Curl Fix, you can start with that mixed into some Curl Rehab (or alone) and see what happens. If you see some improvement, you know you are in the right direction in balancing out hair's moisture with protein.

HTH...
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    Ok so here is what I have been doing\

I will say I am new to this and I LOVE the fact that my curls are defined, yet they are soft and there is no crispy product to crunch out. So I am hoping the answer doesn't involve a crispy product that needs to be scrunched out after it is dry.

I have hair that is about down to my bra strap, 3a curls, normal porosity and normal texture.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I am so looking forward to the day I have clearly defined curls that are soft and shiny!

Thank you!

Oops, question. How long have you been CG?

If it's only a short period, well, sometimes you simply have to get used to spazzy hair until you find your groove. I didn't find my moisture/protein groove for MONTHS. My hair had some serious heat damage and it took lots of deep conditioning and a couple protein tx's to get me up to speed. Hair doesn't heal overnight.

But that might not be you. Maybe you've been at it for a while. Dunno. But just in case--patience is key, too.

And in terms of frizz--it's deep, hot, horrible summer. Many curlies accept that they have to use "crispy" products to cut frizz. I don't. I hate crunch and crisp. BUT..I also accept an amount of frizz and I don't seek big clumps. I'm a volume-quester, so I break up my clumps on purpose when diffusing to get lighter/airier hair. If you want big clumps AND no frizz in summer...you may have to do more than just balance protein/moisture--particularly if you are in transition and have had damage from past blow-drying, straightening, coloring, etc. You may have to learn to embrace some frizz until summer passes.

Once my hair got better moisturized and a I added more regular protein, my frizz got under good control. I diffuse roughly, so I always get some, but it's minimal on day one, a bit more to a lot more day two depending on what I did. :) But without using crispy hard gels, I get pretty good hair for at least two days. Winter, I could get 3, even 4 days, but all the humidity and sweating of summer really makes it harder for me to get lots of days from one poo/style.

Anyway, er, just wanted to add that...

Just saying. :D
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09

Curl Junkie Conditions!

~CJ Protein Tx

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • AmandaCreationAmandaCreation Posts: 12Registered Users
    Thank you so much for the tips and pointers, lots to try and go over! I wish it was simpler to get awesome hair! I have seen such improvement in just the few changes I have made and I am thrilled with that, but I also know it can be even better yet, so now I am hooked and wanting it perfect NOW! I will try some other things, I will defintately switch out the conditioner, and I think I probably need more moisture...so a deep condtioner and a protein treatment will be next on my list. I have a feeling if I didn't use any product at all my hair would be a wavy mess of frizz and undefined curls, I don't know if I can waste a hair day just trying it out! I have been CG for about 2 months now. So in the scheme I think that's not that long...but seems like forever when you are trying to get your hair to look as good as these pics I have seen here!
    pedaheh wrote: »
    I don't have the skills to read your post and tell you what the issue is. Sorry. Two common causes of frizz are lack of moisture in hair. This is really common in the first stages of CG. Another common cause is using humectants in styling products and leave in conditioners in humid conditions.

Here are two big threads on frizz that may help.
    types of frizz
    Pay special attention to post #5

:shock:

That just about explains how I feel!
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think a protein treatment is a good plan, especially if you have dry hair. Protein helps your hair hang on to moisture.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • SaroyanSaroyan Posts: 398Registered Users
    Those posts were so helpful, MirCurls. I've been CG for about a month and am really struggling with frizz, so it's nice to hear from someone who's been doing it longer. Thanks! :)
    2a, very fine, very thick, protein-loving, not especially porous. cg since july 2010.

cleanse: cj daily fix, vo5 vanilla mint tea
    condition: marie dean anything, db pumpkin seed, cj curl assurance, cj beauticurls
    style: cj beauticurls leave-in, cj curl queen, cj cccc lite, kccc, homemade fsg, db coconut & hibiscus oil, ecostyler
    treatments: ss repairing protein, ss deeply decadent
    techniques: icequeen, plopping, scrunching upside down, pixie diffusing
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ..........As they dry they don't stay together! I don't touch them until they are completely dry, yet the frizz comes anyway. Do I need another product to hold them together better?

I will say I am new to this and I LOVE the fact that my curls are defined, yet they are soft and there is no crispy product to crunch out. So I am hoping the answer doesn't involve a crsipy product that needs to be scrunched out after it is dry.

"A crispy product that needs to be scrunched out after it is dry" is exactly what keeps my hair from frizzing. If it dries flexible, it dries frizzy. If it dries controlled, it dries smooth.

No big deal IMO, frizzy is probably a pretty common natural hair type.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
    OK so today I tried just letting it dry after the shower with no product...eeek! As I suspected it is one huge frizzy mess. I can't even figure out from the frizz chart what type of frizz it is! But I am thinking, if it is this frizzy as a base to start with, and I am getting A LOT of the frizz under control with the products I am using...maybe if I treat the base a little more, like with deep conditioner and protein, then the products I am currently using will still do their job, but will have to tame less frizz to start. Does that make sense? Sound like a decent plan? Now just to figure out what protein treatment to use, and what deep conditioner I should use! The battle never ends!
    OK so today I tried just letting it dry after the shower with no product...eeek! As I suspected it is one huge frizzy mess. I can't even figure out from the frizz chart what type of frizz it is! But I am thinking, if it is this frizzy as a base to start with, and I am getting A LOT of the frizz under control with the products I am using...maybe if I treat the base a little more, like with deep conditioner and protein, then the products I am currently using will still do their job, but will have to tame less frizz to start. Does that make sense? Sound like a decent plan? Now just to figure out what protein treatment to use, and what deep conditioner I should use! The battle never ends!

Since you don't wanna wait for something to be delivered (a week plus), right? I suggest you hit your local drugstore and get something like Nexxus Emergencee (and maybe whatever Nexxus deep condish people recommend).

Or you can go to Sally Beauty and try the Joico K-Pak GVP version, and then just buy a nice rich deep condish there (I'd do a forum search for Sally Beauty and see what people recommend).

That way, you can do it TODAY or tomorrow and see if that gets you to a good place faster. :)

For ordering: I recommend you try any of the following for some protein (P) and condish follower (DC):

Lighter: Curl Junkie Curl Fix (light P), maybe H&B deep fix (DC w light P)

More P: Spiral Solutions Repairing Protein Tx (P) and SS Deeply Decadent (M)

Hardcore: Aphogee two-step, Joico-K Pak(P) followed by Joico Intense Hydrator (C).

Curl Rehab by CJ is a superb condish you can use after strong protein tx's, if you prefer. My Honey Child has a great deep condish--Olive You, and so does Jessicurl (Weekly Deep Conditioning Tx). Those are a few I've used and benefitted from.

You can forum search "Protein treatment" to see what others recommend.

I'm pretty sure that Struttswife at her website with Live Curly Live Free has some homemade treatments you can try.

But today, you can get Nexxus Emergencee at CVS or Walgreens or a beauty supply store...
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09

Curl Junkie Conditions!

~CJ Protein Tx

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file