Haven't Asked For Help in 7 Months, But I Need Expert Advice!!!!!!!! (PICTURE)

Ook, so I've been strictly CG for 7 months now. In the beginning I was doing a lot of protein and DT's....but about 3 or 4 months ago I sorta jumped off the protein/DT bandwagon as I got busy with work and life in general. BUT, I still use GVP joico k-pak once a week (just in the shower) and I was using CJ banana and hibiscous deep fix in the shower as well. So, no REAL protein or DT's, but I suppose you could say that I've generally been treating my hair wonderfully.

Everything was going great ever since I got a trim by Tiffany at LCLF in March....but then it seemed like all of a sudden my ends just thinned out in a matter of 1 or 2 co-washes. WTH? I went through this BEFORE I went CG and so I can't understand why I am NOW going through this again. It isn't terribly bad (about an inch of thinning at the ends -- which makes my hair look shorter when its dry) but I'm worried that if I don't find the culprit then it may get worse. Trimming is out of the question...so what am I to do??

I am in need of some expert advice here. :confused1:
3b/c :: Fine :: Porous

I:love5: My Hair

Comments

  • MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Can you post a pic? I find it hard to imagine what you are describing.

    Also, why is a trim out of the question? It's been 5 months since you got one....so...?

    I'm 4 months post trim and I'm thinking of scheduling a trim in a month or so myself. My ends are a tad, tad, teensy bit crunchy in some spots--my dry spots-- though much less than before mod-CG when I needed a trim every 2 months, I'd get so dry. I might need a half inch off in general. I might be one of those who needs a trim 3x a year or more, not sure, as I'm not even a year mod-CG. :D

    So, anyway, yeah...why no trim and maybe a pic?
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

    Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

    ~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

    Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Aside from too much or too little protein, crunchy brittle ends can come from general buildup (clarify) or mineral buildup (chelate).
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

    Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • jenny curljenny curl Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    I forgot to mention that I did trim my ends mid-July, about 1/4 of an inch. I attached a picture of what I'm talking about. This is my hair when its still wet, you can see at the bottom how my ends look. They aren't brittle or crispy which is another reason that I'm confused. On the regular, they feel just fine....I posted another thread about how I may be using too much protein.

    Please let me know what you think, girls. I appreciate the help thus far.
    3b/c :: Fine :: Porous

    I:love5: My Hair
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I see it -
    Mine had some like this after the haircut - my hair's not as curly so they looked "drippy". I know you said no trim, but that's all I did, just snipped away the pieces that were too pointy, blunting the ends of the curls, and that made it look fine.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

    Shoulder-Length now.

    Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

    Henna!
  • jenny curljenny curl Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    I see it -
    Mine had some like this after the haircut - my hair's not as curly so they looked "drippy". I know you said no trim, but that's all I did, just snipped away the pieces that were too pointy, blunting the ends of the curls, and that made it look fine.

    That's an idea, but I'm just scared that if I cut those longer pieces off I'd be setting myself way back in terms of length (which would really depress me). I've been trying to grow out my hair and I was doing so well up until a few days ago :sad1: This seems to always happen after doing so well for months.....
    3b/c :: Fine :: Porous

    I:love5: My Hair
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    santini wrote: »
    I see it -
    Mine had some like this after the haircut - my hair's not as curly so they looked "drippy". I know you said no trim, but that's all I did, just snipped away the pieces that were too pointy, blunting the ends of the curls, and that made it look fine.

    That's an idea, but I'm just scared that if I cut those longer pieces off I'd be setting myself way back in terms of length (which would really depress me). I've been trying to grow out my hair and I was doing so well up until a few days ago :sad1: This seems to always happen after doing so well for months.....

    :(
    Well, maybe someone else will have a better idea for you - my hair is not like yours so you may be able to do something else... Especially if it's a sudden change, not just since your trim.
    On mine, I just noticed it was the same curls over and over so it seemed safe to trim it - evening up isn't the same as losing length, to me, it's like those pieces were too long in relationship to everything else.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

    Shoulder-Length now.

    Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

    Henna!
  • MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh, that. My hair does that if I supersoak and go for clumps.

    So, I don't.

    I break up clumps (finger-comb them apart) so I don't get "octopus ends". :)

    I think that's a normal consequence of longer hair and bigger clumps. I think it's time for you to get to Tiffany again and have her trim them up.....or break up the clumps...or just accept that this is what clumping curls do at times.
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

    Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

    ~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

    Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • jenny curljenny curl Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    MirCurls wrote: »
    Oh, that. My hair does that if I supersoak and go for clumps.

    So, I don't.

    I break up clumps (finger-comb them apart) so I don't get "octopus ends". :)

    I think that's a normal consequence of longer hair and bigger clumps. I think it's time for you to get to Tiffany again and have her trim them up.....or break up the clumps...or just accept that this is what clumping curls do at times.

    The thing is, the breakage will creep up sometimes more than an inch from the ends. That can't be normal. The last time I flat ironed my hair was two years ago, so I'm wondering if its still the last of the hair that was damaged that's weak and breaking ??? Ugh I just don't get it, it looked great a week ago and now this again.

    How much thinning to do you get at the ends, Mir?

    I'm so unhappy :sad1:
    3b/c :: Fine :: Porous

    I:love5: My Hair
  • MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    santini wrote: »
    MirCurls wrote: »
    Oh, that. My hair does that if I supersoak and go for clumps.

    So, I don't.

    I break up clumps (finger-comb them apart) so I don't get "octopus ends". :)

    I think that's a normal consequence of longer hair and bigger clumps. I think it's time for you to get to Tiffany again and have her trim them up.....or break up the clumps...or just accept that this is what clumping curls do at times.

    The thing is, the breakage will creep up sometimes more than an inch from the ends. That can't be normal. The last time I flat ironed my hair was two years ago, so I'm wondering if its still the last of the hair that was damaged that's weak and breaking ??? Ugh I just don't get it, it looked great a week ago and now this again.

    How much thinning to do you get at the ends, Mir?

    I'm so unhappy :sad1:

    I don't consider it thinning. I have layers. And I have a patch of hair at the back that always "lifts" differently than the bottom layer of hair. When I have bigger type clumps, it's natural that the hair have tubes--tubes are not like straight hair where it's a curtain. Tubes have separation. I think this is normal for clumped hair...maybe I'm wrong.

    I also blew dried my hair like mad (twice a week, high heat, stretching it straight with brush), so my ends prolly still have damage, right? But they feel pretty good and moisturized (except for my super dry spots, which I've had forever). If you don't want to trim those up to meet the layer above, if you don't want to break up teh clumps to get a smoother bottom, then I dunno what to tell you. Here's one pic (of many) showing mine: http://public.fotki.com/MirCurls/curl-products--hair/img-0559-jpg.html and http://public.fotki.com/MirCurls/curl-products--hair/img-0563-jpg.html I was freshly trimmed in both. No split ends. Here it is before my trim after I overdid protein/conditioning: http://public.fotki.com/MirCurls/curl-products-and-hair/img-0264-jpg.html And here I fingercombed it out for more even base: http://public.fotki.com/MirCurls/curl-products-and-hair/img-0272-jpg.html

    My hair looks better now, than then (trimmed, longer), but even in May: http://public.fotki.com/MirCurls/hair--curl-products/img-0633-jpg.html So I fingercombed it again: http://public.fotki.com/MirCurls/hair--curl-products/img-0638-jpg.html#media

    So I stopped doing supersoaking and clump encouraging, and just roughly diffuse out the clumps: http://public.fotki.com/MirCurls/hair-july-2010/img-1274.html

    I have a conventional cut, so this is part of my issue. A dry cut could trim the "octopus ends" right up to the rest. But, I'm lazy and not driving to Tiffany. :D

    But what do you mean about breakage? Am I missing something?

    Anyway..

    As hair grows longer, the curl pattern can change, ya know? The longer my bottom layer the more it elongates, so it will do that...in a different way than yours perhaps, but same idea.

    But, really, if you wanna keep your clumps, then get a trim and grow it out SLOWER, keeping the bottom higher and more cohesive with other layers. IMO.

    Maybe you can email Tiffany with your pic and ask her , right? She certainly would know more than we what would suit your hair (as she's dealt with it firsthand).
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

    Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

    ~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

    Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Okay, after that long-winded reply of mine, I just realized that you may NOT be referring to the "octopus tentacle tubey ends" I was talking about, but just the really thin thin bits at the end of the tubes. Is that what you mean? The thready bits at the end of the longer, hanging clumps?

    Do you have elasticity issues? You admit you're not doing treatments, so if it's excessive elasticity, you may need protein? I dunno...but I may have misunderstood what you're concerned about.

    Overall, the curling and cut look fine to me....but I am not sure now what the issue really is.

    Okay, sorry, I can be a twit. hah.
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

    Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

    ~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

    Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • jenny curljenny curl Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    MirCurls wrote: »
    But what do you mean about breakage? Am I missing something?

    Anyway..

    As hair grows longer, the curl pattern can change, ya know? The longer my bottom layer the more it elongates, so it will do that...in a different way than yours perhaps, but same idea.

    But, really, if you wanna keep your clumps, then get a trim and grow it out SLOWER, keeping the bottom higher and more cohesive with other layers. IMO.

    Maybe you can email Tiffany with your pic and ask her , right? She certainly would know more than we what would suit your hair (as she's dealt with it firsthand).

    Thank you for sharing your pictures, Mir. It makes me feel better to see that someone else knows what I'm going through.

    The reason why i say "breakage" is because I can't figure out what else this could be from. Reason being is because one week it will look great and the next week it looks like this....and I knoooow my hair doesn't grow THAT fast, LMAO. It just seems so sudden whenever this happens, that I can't attribute it to anything else other than it being the result of breakage.

    I will try to dig up Tiffany's email and see if she may know. Most people can see the issue but either tell me not to worry about it or that they don't know what its caused from....((sigh))
    3b/c :: Fine :: Porous

    I:love5: My Hair
  • MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    santini wrote: »
    MirCurls wrote: »
    But what do you mean about breakage? Am I missing something?

    Anyway..

    As hair grows longer, the curl pattern can change, ya know? The longer my bottom layer the more it elongates, so it will do that...in a different way than yours perhaps, but same idea.

    But, really, if you wanna keep your clumps, then get a trim and grow it out SLOWER, keeping the bottom higher and more cohesive with other layers. IMO.

    Maybe you can email Tiffany with your pic and ask her , right? She certainly would know more than we what would suit your hair (as she's dealt with it firsthand).

    Thank you for sharing your pictures, Mir. It makes me feel better to see that someone else knows what I'm going through.

    The reason why i say "breakage" is because I can't figure out what else this could be from. Reason being is because one week it will look great and the next week it looks like this....and I knoooow my hair doesn't grow THAT fast, LMAO. It just seems so sudden whenever this happens, that I can't attribute it to anything else other than it being the result of breakage.

    I will try to dig up Tiffany's email and see if she may know. Most people can see the issue but either tell me not to worry about it or that they don't know what its caused from....((sigh))


    Okay, but it's like anything with curls. Have you considered that on days when your curl is more enhanced, those longer clumps simply blend in better by shortening up? Or the longer layers relax and blend in?

    On days when I use more curl enhancer on my back areas, they blend in better. Did you check to see if using specific products makes it more or less so?
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

    Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

    ~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

    Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • jenny curljenny curl Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    MirCurls wrote: »
    Okay, but it's like anything with curls. Have you considered that on days when your curl is more enhanced, those longer clumps simply blend in better by shortening up? Or the longer layers relax and blend in?

    On days when I use more curl enhancer on my back areas, they blend in better. Did you check to see if using specific products makes it more or less so?

    That's an interesting point. You can't really tell as much when my hair dries....so maybe I'm getting all worked up for nothing. I just get very paranoid (I look at the back of my hair everyday after I put my products in it to make sure everything is ok -- I know, I AM WEIRD!) Its just a fear of mine since I used to have inches of breakage on the ends of my hair before I went CG resulting in me having to cut it short. And I haven't been happy since.

    No I haven't noticed if different products make the curl appear different; this is probably because I only switch on and off between HETT and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-Curls-in-a-Bottle-p-995.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curl-Junkie-Curls-in-a-Bottle]CIAB[/buylink] and they both make my hair look comparable.
    3b/c :: Fine :: Porous

    I:love5: My Hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file