What is all this about protein??

Sorry newbie here!! I started being CG about a week and a half ago and I am LOVING it! But I keep hearing people talk about protein and stuff. How do you know if your hair needs more protein? and what should I buy to give it this?

Thanks guys :)!

Comments

• curlyhairmichukcurlyhairmichuk Posts: 860Registered Users
    Sorry newbie here!! I started being CG about a week and a half ago and I am LOVING it! But I keep hearing people talk about protein and stuff. How do you know if your hair needs more protein? and what should I buy to give it this?

Thanks guys :)!

Hi I would read this first http://livecurlylivefree.com/curly%20hair%20basics.htm - once you know the properties of your hair you'll be able to work out if you might need protein HTH
    UK curly

fine to medium strands, porous, medium density
    CG May 2009 - low poo occasionally
    Co-wash: Tresemme Naturals
    Styling -Naked Curl Defining Cream, BRHG, Mop Top, FSG
    Product for a good hair day: FSG or Mop Top
    Hair loves protein!
    http://public.fotki.com/curlyhairmichuk/
    new pics added Jan 2012

Enjoying the freedom of going curly!:wave:
    Duchess of Alba, Keeper of the Tartan Curls in The Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Just do a forum search and you'll find plenty of threads discussing protein and others who asked the same question. Info is there. You'll find it.

Also, do google search, and you'll find articles like over at RedCelticCurls' blog (I don't have the link handy).

It's not always easy--even after reading--to figure out if your hair needs protein. After some time getting to know your hair, you can GUESS. Some of the more observant gals here with know-how can pinpoint

For me, when my curls stop sproinging and I get a sort of frizzy look, I hit the hardcore protein. If that fixes it, then I needed protein. :)

My hair likes protein, so I use plenty of products with it. However, I also like moisture (I have dry, porous hair, so I love the Curl Junkie line, which has little to no protein in most products (exceptions include Curl Fix and H&B Deep fix). But you can easiy check over at CurlMart for products and look to see if it is tagged WITH or without protein to get an idea what has what.

Lots of ladies with FINE hair love lots of protein. Ladies with coarse hair often try to avoid too much or any protein. Medium hair is, well, flexible, I guess. Hair that is bleached or damaged from hot-irons, etc, generally need some protein to repair the damage.

In the coming months and years, you'll learn how to identify what your hair needs better. Be patient and keep reading.
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • CurlyMomCurlyMom Posts: 334Registered Users
    As usual, Mir gives some great advice. When I need protein my hair will start looking flat, dull and heavy. I also noticed my hair will start getting frizzy and because of that I used to think I needed more moisture, thinking frizz=not enough moisture, and I'd end up overconditioned.

OCing was a constant battle for me for a while because I was so afraid of protein. Now I realize how important protein is for my hair and I use it in some form or another everyday. I also still do PT's 1-2x's per week.

That will all probably change the healthier my hair gets and with the seasons, I've read where you need more protein in the summer.

Definately learn your texture/porosity here's another good link with photos from Curl Junkies blog, if you need a visual *I'm a visual learner*

http://curljunkie.blogspot.com/2010/02/my-2-cents-on-proteintextureporositymoi.html

it will really help you in knowing if your hair is a good protein candidate.

hth!
    2c/3a/3b Fine/med texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file