Spiral Solutions?

SegBSegB Posts: 692Registered Users
I have heard a lot about this line and am wondering if people could weigh in...Do you use this line, what products are your favorites, etc...I have fine to medium 2b/3a hair, low to normal porosity...Just wondering if this line is worth checking out for my hair...And did I hear that SS is releasing a really great low poo that doesn't dry your hair out?

THANKS!
2b/3a, normal/high porosity, fine/medium texture, medium density, low elasticity

Low Poo- Tigi Colour Goddess, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT (clarify 1X/week)
Condish- CJ Curl Rehab, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT
Leave In- Slip Detangler, KCKT, Redken Curl Refiner
Style- KCCC, SS CEJ, SS FHG
Treatment- CJ Repair Me! and CJ CR

Dislikes: Too much protein, high glycerin content, and heavy oils

Comments

• justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I LOVE the FHG (Firm Hold Gel) and use it every day. I use it under BRHG because I do not have the curl pattern that you have. You may do well with the CEJ and layer FHG on top. That may be enough for you. She just released these two in 2 ounce trial/travel size which would be a good way to try them.

I will be trying her new conditioning cleanser when released. I have not yet tried the Caitlin's conditioner but it gets RAVE reviews here. I tried, and liked the sample of the Repairing Protein treatment. For my hair it was like a Protein treatment and a Deep conditioning treatment as well.

Frankly, I have not read or heard any product that she has that does not have a following!
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
  • SaroyanSaroyan Posts: 398Registered Users
    I've used the protein treatment, the moisturizing treatment, and the curl-enhancing jelly. Love them all. My hair is 2a/b and frizztastic no matter what I do to it, but it never looks better than the day after a SS RPT.
    2a, very fine, very thick, protein-loving, not especially porous. cg since july 2010.

cleanse: cj daily fix, vo5 vanilla mint tea
    condition: marie dean anything, db pumpkin seed, cj curl assurance, cj beauticurls
    style: cj beauticurls leave-in, cj curl queen, cj cccc lite, kccc, homemade fsg, db coconut & hibiscus oil, ecostyler
    treatments: ss repairing protein, ss deeply decadent
    techniques: icequeen, plopping, scrunching upside down, pixie diffusing
  • SegBSegB Posts: 692Registered Users
    Thanks! Anyone else?
    2b/3a, normal/high porosity, fine/medium texture, medium density, low elasticity

• MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    SegB wrote: »
    Thanks! Anyone else?

There are several threads--a couple pretty long--discussing people using and loving--or not--SS CEJ and other products. I recommend you do a forum search and find the discussions for more info and personal use tips.

I conditioned today (r/o ) with Caitlyn's Condish, used the CEJ and then some FHG (not much). Very sproingy andpretty curls. I had Pilates today, so I had to use a scrunchie and I sweated a lot, but a quick shake and water spritz and my curls reactivated beautifully.

One of my fave lines. I alternate AG, SS, and Curl Junkie (with occasional uses of BB FSG and brulee) and my hair is very happy.
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • KarenRB53KarenRB53 Posts: 355Registered Users
    MirCurls wrote: »
    Thanks! Anyone else?

There are several threads--a couple pretty long--discussing people using and loving--or not--SS CEJ and other products. I recommend you do a forum search and find the discussions for more info and personal use tips.

I conditioned today (r/o ) with Caitlyn's Condish, used the CEJ and then some FHG (not much). Very sproingy andpretty curls. I had Pilates today, so I had to use a scrunchie and I sweated a lot, but a quick shake and water spritz and my curls reactivated beautifully.

One of my fave lines. I alternate AG, SS, and Curl Junkie (with occasional uses of BB FSG and brulee) and my hair is very happy.

Does the FHG make your hair crunchy? I know you like the med hold gels so is this a med hold?
    3b, fine textured,thin and normal to high porosity.
  • MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    KarenRB53 wrote: »
    MirCurls wrote: »
    Thanks! Anyone else?

Does the FHG make your hair crunchy? I know you like the med hold gels so is this a med hold?

I don't get crunch from it. Some people mention getting a bit (minimal crunch). I use it lightly. Just for the record, I avoid stuff that gives me crunch. So, if I highly recommend it--it doesn't give me crunch. Period.

I consider the firm holding gel as a medium type gel--that's how it works on me. Maybe if I used more it would be "firmer". Different stuff works differently on different hair. On me, it's like a solid medium hold (not a lighter type of medium hold). This is all very subjective, I suppose. It gives me adequate hold for my purposes. :D
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • LilaGirlLilaGirl Posts: 1,177Registered Users
    SS products work wonders for me. Emollience is still in trial and caitlin's fell out of favor but SS DD and SS PRT are HGs and FHG is really working for me with shescentiti coco creme as a LI... I'm still planning on trying out CEJ...

I sometimes use SS DD as a LI and it's a bit heavy but it works.
    3b/fine/normal porosity/normal elasticity

LOVES behentrimonium methosulfate
    (don't ask me to pronounce that!)

Want to grow it long again!
    And simply want to figure out this hair of mine!
  • CurlykeyCurlykey Posts: 1,540Registered Users Curl Novice
    I love SS products!! 3 of us in our household found the protein to be the best we've ever used. My staples are, the protein treatment, deep treatment, Curl enhancing Jelly, emollience and Firm Hold gel. I find that I need a hard hold gel over the FHG during the summer. The CEJ and the FHG make my hair feel silky. I can't say enough good things about this line. I do alternate with other products (in my siggy) but these products are staples in my house. :happy11:
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
  • oddityofwingsoddityofwings Posts: 1,261Registered Users
    I really like the SS products - the conditioners, anyway. The styling products are a little humectant heavy for the weather at the moment, so I get weird results with them. The Caitlin's conditioner is a nice mix of protein and moisture; Deeply Decadent is the richest and most moisturising conditioner I've ever used. I had really dried out hair for a week and nothing was working - I used that and in a single DT I was back to normal. I've never seen anything work like that before. I also really like the protein treatment and the protein leave-in spray (a nice curl refresher midday if you need it).
    3b/c. Fine, med-high porosity, normal elasticity. Hair loves oils in summer, protein in winter. Constantly battling the hard water monster.

Favourites:love5::
    CJ Curl Theory, Curl Rehab, Smoothing, Curl Fix, Daily Fix, CCCC, CIAB, CQ, SSCC, MC shampoo, Inecto Pure Coconut Oil, CP luscious curl creme (summer), DB Pumpkin Seed (summer), FD/MT, JCWDT, JCTS

American literature PhD student in the UK... :study:
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've also tried a bunch of her products!

Caitlin's-Used it once and had one of my best hair days ever! I'll have to try it again just to make sure I like it. Sometimes my hair only likes a product once.

Curl enhancing jelly-my hair did not like this. Didn't get much curl enhancement!

Firm hold gel-my hair only liked this a couple times. I saved a sample so I can try it again when it's cooler.

protein treatment-Loved it.

DD-don't like it. My hair loves other DTs and regular condishes much more.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• Kris&herKurlyKidsKris&herKurlyKids Posts: 55Registered Users
    Glad to see this thread, I was coming on here to ask the same question. I have the CEJ and absolutely love it. I think it is my first HG. I'm definitely curious about trying out some of the other SS products. I love how the CEJ gives me hold and little to no crunch. My waves are nice and soft.
    Me: 2c, medium-coarse, thick
    Began my mod-CG routine May 2010

DD (6 yo): 3c (tightly-curly girl) - now loving KCCC for her!
    DS (3 yo): a mix of 3b/3c/4a
  • LilaGirlLilaGirl Posts: 1,177Registered Users
    oh, so how do you use your emollience?
    3b/fine/normal porosity/normal elasticity

LOVES behentrimonium methosulfate
    (don't ask me to pronounce that!)

Want to grow it long again!
    And simply want to figure out this hair of mine!
  • CurlieTopCurlieTop Posts: 345Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Curl Enhancing Jelly (CEJ) is quite possibly the best styler I have ever used. It actually works for me alone, which really surprised me (I always thought I needed a firm hold gel, but apparently not!). I get turbo charged, shiny, voluminous, light, yet defined curls that are long-lasting even with San Francisco wind. Any frizz that remains after it dries is easily smoothed over either by a small amount of the jelly, or by my favorite finishing product [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-Set-it-Free-p-259.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-set-it-free]DevaCurl Set it Free[/buylink].

I tried using the Firm Hold Gel over CEJ today and, like with most firm hold gels, my hair is weighed down. I didn't feel the overall result was much better than any drugstore firm hold gel, so I won't be buying it again. CEJ though is truly unique in my opinion!

I haven't tried the conditioners or protein treatments yet (I'm a Jessicurl devotee) but when I get some more funds those products are next on my list of things to try!

By the way, for those that don't know this yet, most "crunch" (in all products) can be scrunched out, so don't feel like a product is instant fail if you get crunch!
    ~ curlie top ~
    2C in back, 3A in front, fine to medium texture
    Last time I blow fried: Spring 2011
    Last time I flat ironed: Fall 2010
    Posting and You - A must watch
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    LilaGirl wrote: »
    oh, so how do you use your emollience?

You can use it to SOTC. I like it a bit less than Botticelli Botanicals Berry Lime butter because it leaves my waves a little too soft. I also use the emollience as a body butter as well.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    You might want to check out our reviews here!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • SegBSegB Posts: 692Registered Users
    Thanks for all of the feedback! After reading all of your comments and the reviews, I bought the sample size of the curl enhancing jelly and the firm hold gel...Can't wait to try them!

• twirlygrannytwirlygranny Posts: 1,114Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Love the Repairing Protein Treatment. The deep moisturizing treatment and the firm hold gel are very nice too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file