Has anyone ever told you wearing your hair curly makes you look older? :(

So everyone keeps telling me that they like my hair curly. I was wearing it straight for the longest time but have been wearing it curly for better hair health and lower maintenance.

My best friend, who hasn't seen me a while, told me that she liked my hair but it makes me look older, 30 or 33! I just turned 28! I already feel like I'm too ugly to live half the time and this just makes me feel worse! :(

Does anyone tell you that it makes you look older? She said when my hair is straight I look 25 :(
Mostly relaxed, yet still curly hair, which I am going to try to grow out with daily conditioner rinses and a shampoo once or twice a week.

Officially Transitioning since March 2011.
Last Relaxer September 2010

Got some kind of curly bangs going here! And I think my bangs are all natural!

I think that my natural hair is somewhere between a 3b and a 3c, I hope it's not too soon to tell! :blob4:

Comments

• plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    Nope. Sometimes I choose to look older though...I usually just put my brainy specs on in those situations. I think shorter and darker hair on me makes me look older. I don't think curly or straight affects it either way for me. If anything, I'd say curly=younger...but who knows.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• JKinks<3JKinks<3 Posts: 62Registered Users
    I'm told I look older when I wear my hair straight
  • mandy87mandy87 Posts: 13Registered Users
    I actually get told the opposite, that I look younger with curly hair
    2b/3a
    high porosity, medium texture, density & elasticity
    Low-Poo: Giovanni Tea Tree shampoo (1x week)
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals coconut, or greeen apple
    Leave in: Orgnx embrace balance sulfate free leave in condish
    Creams & Stylers: AG recoil, proclaim gel, LOOB
    -> just recovering from 7 yr flat iron addiction, currrently attempting to master plopping method :thumright:
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    I've been told both.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've been told it makes me look younger. :) I wonder if it's because folks who knew me in the 80's (when curly hair was in and all) remember the me from back then? Dunno.

I do find that very straight hair on an older--ahem--face can make the age show more, whereas a softer style with more movement can be softening to the face as well. Depends on the style and all.
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've been told it makes me look younger. Maybe consider a different haircut? I'd love to see pictures.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • AsLckyGrlAsLckyGrl Posts: 188Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have not been told... but I do notice that I look thinner and older with my hair worn curly...

I am fairly skinny already, so to me that statement is negative, haha. I want to be younger and curvier...

But I love to be natural!!
    3B ; BSL; Low Porosity; Med Texture; CG since July '10.
    Clean: Ever Sleek
    Treat: EVCO, Neutrogena 3xMoisture
    Tools: Boar Brush, wide tooth comb
    Styler: Garnier Sleek&Shine
  • crownroyallecrownroyalle Posts: 8Registered Users
    My daughter told me that I looked 13. Not sure I wanted to go back THAT far!
  • CurlieTopCurlieTop Posts: 345Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Maybe some people think curls are dated because the last time they were truly popular was in the 80's. That's my best guess. If people told me I looked older I would probably try getting a haircut and see if that changes anything. Good luck :)
    ~ curlie top ~
    2C in back, 3A in front, fine to medium texture
    Last time I blow fried: Spring 2011
    Last time I flat ironed: Fall 2010
    Posting and You - A must watch
  • eamoneseamones Posts: 53Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi,

I was told I look younger with curly hair and older with straight hair
  • BigHairLalaBigHairLala Posts: 116Registered Users
    JKinks<3 wrote: »
    I'm told I look older when I wear my hair straight

Same
    [FONT=&quot]Mod CG since January 2010[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]2b/c – in winter; mostly 3a in summer; working toward 3a all year-round
    Fine - Dense - Fairly porous
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Cowash & Leave in: Co-wash with TJ’s Tea-Tree Tingle cond. , Suave Naturals, TJ Nourish[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Styling products in rotation: AG Re:coil, K-Y liquid; FSG, epsom salt & lavender curl-revitalizer;
    [/FONT]
  • bettinflabettinfla Posts: 389Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I worked so hard all my life fighting these curls and now I don't care if I look younger or older -- I have finally embraced my lovely curls and wouldn't straighten them for anything -- no matter how many hairdressers ask. I grew up in the 60's with teased hair and curls were NOT accepted, called brillo head, wool head, frizz bomb, but now say what you want -- I LOVE THEM!!!!
    Homemade FSG, CK, KCCC and BRHG. Co wash w/Suave, or soap bars (occasionally) or Come Clean (Kinky Curly).
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I look older with straightened hair.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • greekgoddessgreekgoddess Posts: 494Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I too have been told that I look older with straight hair.
    Long: Fine, low porosity 3b curls
    Shampoo: Suave clarifying 
    Low sulphate shampoo: Elucence Moisture benefits, Not Your Mother’s Curl defining 
    Conditioner: Acure Argan Oil & Pumpkin, Elucence Moisture balancing, GVP Conditioning Balm
    Leave in: Curls Blueberry Bliss
    Cream: Amika Curl cream, Ag recoil
    Gel: Giovanni 
  • Marci PieMarci Pie Posts: 668Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have been told the opposite. I think that was a dig from your friend because she's jealous and wants your curls!

3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo, Cantu Quinoa Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair, Decadence No Poo
    Co-wash: Nourish Conditioner, Suave, Aussie Moist, Clairol Natural Blends Coconut
    Deep Conditioner: Loreal Total Repair Balm, Cantu Masque
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's), Decadence Conditioner
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Homemade Flax Seed Gel, Devacurl Ultradefining Gel, Coconut Oil
    Methods: Sleep with extra large satin bonnet. Able to get 7 day hair. Prior to getting 7 day:Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.
  • LogyLogy Posts: 156Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    No one has told me one way or the other. But I FEEL younger with curly hair! And I do think it softens my face. Now that I'm older I am heavier and I think the curls plump out so they fit my face better. With straight hair I felt like I was all face.
    54, mix of 3a, 2b,c, with the occasional straight strand thrown in to keep things interesting. Low porosity. Very fine!

HG: CJCF Never lets me down.
    Others I Like: DevaCurl One Co, CHSCK, Giovanni Smooth as Silk, SSDD, AnGel, DevaCurl No Poo, Elucence Moisture Balancing Condish, Curls Like Us towels.

"Still crazy after all these years" Paul Simon :nemo:
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yea, people tell me I look like a little kid with curly hair.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file