Hydroxyethylcellulose?

wavycurly40+wavycurly40+ Posts: 2,017Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I haven't seen a lot of discussion of this ingredient around here..... but I've noticed that it appears prominently in many of my favorite products (Curl Keeper, Duchess of Curls, Giovanni LA Naturals gel... and I think there have been others).

Anybody care to discuss?

Wurly and proud!
Modified CG since 2008.

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It's a thickening agent. I use it in my FSG when I use agave nectar. My hair likes it, too, except I'm allergic to CK.

I see that you use Duchess of Curls--did you know that's it's Essential Wholesale Simple Aloe Jelly with lavender EO? http://www.essentialwholesale.com/s.nl/sc.9/category.107165/.f

There's a whole thread about this and other products that a bulk bases.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wavycurly40+wavycurly40+ Posts: 2,017Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    oooooh, yes, indeed Kathymack! I am very aware of the DoC/EW "relationship," but thanks for the heads up!

In fact, I just bumped the Essential Wholesale co-op thread to see if anybody is still going in together on orders. I only bought DoC the one time, about a year ago, and the Essential Wholesale connection was discovered after that. But my bottle is starting to get low. (I only use it in fall/winter).

Do you think that thickening agents affect our hair a lot, or do you think they are just "fillers?" It is always so hard to know which ingredients, exactly, are affecting the hair! It could just be coincidence that my hair likes products with that in them.

Wurly and proud!
    Modified CG since 2008.
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think any ingredient has some effect on hair. Formulation is really important.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wavycurly40+wavycurly40+ Posts: 2,017Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Wurly and proud!
    Modified CG since 2008.
  • justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My beloved SS FHG has it as an ingredient. My hair must like it!
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
  • DidiluvDidiluv Posts: 0Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Hello I would like to know if this ingredion good for low porosity hair. Thank you
  • DidiluvDidiluv Posts: 0Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Hello I would like to know if this ingredion good for low porosity hair. Thank you

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file