Are you ever afraid...

plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
Have you ever had really nice clumpy bouncy waves/curls and some root curl and:

--been afraid to pineapple
--been afraid to style your hair much
--add something to help with frizz

because you were afraid of losing the nice clumpy defined wurls?

Last night I didn't pineapple, though I did lay my hair on the pillow behind me. I was afraid that my hair would loose what root curl it has if I pulled it into a ponytail. I also tend to leave my hair down a lot these days. I'm afraid that the more I play with it to style, the faster I'm gonna loose those nice looking waves and curls. I've never really understood how to smooth out frizz without potentially stretching out my wurls either. If I had a tighter curl pattern that I knew had a good spring factor, I wouldn't mind so much, but I don't have a lot of spring, and I am afraid that I will pull out any nice looking curls and waves by smoothing the frizz.

How do you all feel? Am I just paranoid? I mean, I am using gel, so that should help keep the curls...but I just worry that they're still gonna loosen up, fluff up, and fall.

Yesterday's wurls:

4935616180_3fb669202c_z.jpg

You can see why I'd be afraid to do too much to my hair, yes?

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

Comments

• rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    You're not alone. There are plenty of times when my hair looks decent and I'm afraid to BREATHE on it let alone touch it.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curlysue21curlysue21 Posts: 5,219Registered Users
    I ALWAYS feel that way when my hair comes out awesome! I never want to touch, let alone wash it! Pinapple-ing is the big test and I can usually gauge how well my second day hair will be.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2b/c, medium/high porosity, medium/coarse texture
    Current HG: Kinky Curly errythang, GVPCB, LALSG

"I will never be the woman with perfect hair, who can wear white and not spill on it."

• finaleofseemfinaleofseem Posts: 900Registered Users
    I feel this way every time I like how my hair turns out. Though recently, my longer hair is actually a lot easier to keep nice for multiple days.
    2b/cMii, medium-high porosity

Likes protein and most oils, HATES mineral oil
    Summer Routine
    Poo: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
    Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Leave In: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture, SSRPT
    Stylers: Ecostyler Krystal, LALSG (in really high dews)
    PT: SS Repairing Protein Treatment
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My clumps don't like to stay. If I can manage 2nd day hair by just taking it out of the pineapple, I have the best results. If not I scrunch the ends of my hair with wet hands and hope that takes care of it. Recently I've used fsg in place of water and had good results. But yeah, I can't do much of anything or my clumps are destroyed.
    ETA: How is it that you keep managing to make your beautiful hair even more beautiful?
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • eneriymaeneriyma Posts: 45Registered Users
    Yes, and no. I'm the kind of person who can't leave her hair alone, so even if I'm afraid to mess with it, five minutes later I'll be absentmindedly twirling my hair around my fingers.

I'm also one of those people who secretly likes bed-head hair with frizz because I tell myself that I look like a rock star and just avoid mirrors (and the truth).

Your hair is gorgeous, soooo so gorgeous. You're doing something right, whatever it is! And your color is amazing. Is the color in the photo true to life? Because - darn, you're lucky!
    2c (front and hairline)/ 2a (back and sides), Mii, normal porosity, medium elasticity.

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut Conditioner
    Conditioner: Burt's Bees Super Shiny Grapefruit & Sugar Beet Conditioner, Renpure My Pretty Hair is Parched!
    Pre-wash: Coconut oil

Products: Herbal Essences Set Me Up Gel, Herbal Essences Body Envy Volumizing Mousse, Kinky-Curly Curling Custard, Target Curls Cream Brulee, Target Curls Goddess Curl Gel
  • plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    pedaheh wrote: »
    ETA: How is it that you keep managing to make your beautiful hair even more beautiful?
    eneriyma wrote: »
    Your hair is gorgeous, soooo so gorgeous. You're doing something right, whatever it is! And your color is amazing. Is the color in the photo true to life? Because - darn, you're lucky!

The flash really helps here ladies. It hides frizz and boosts shine. The colour is sorta true to life...it sorta changes depending on the lighting. So here, with the flash, it picks up more of the red and gold from soooo many bottles of dye from soooo many years of colouring it. It is pretty close though.

This is a non-flash, natural light shot of it. You can see more frizz and it isn't as reddish-gold.

4935037043_9cf542096b.jpg

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• NorthCoastLadyNorthCoastLady Posts: 230Registered Users
    My hair is very clump resistant to begin with, so if I get them for even one day, I'm happy. ;) Plunkybug, your hair is just beautiful!
    2a in the front/sides, 2b in the back.
    Highly porous, dry, fine, low elasticity
    Currently experimenting- I'm on a mission to eventually use all homemade products for my hair!
    CG since July '10.
    co-wash with White Rain Energizing Citrus
    Using coconut oil on ends nightly
    styling with aloe vera gel
    DT once a week with mayo, egg, olive oil.
    Focusing on scalp and hair health first, then length.
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Plunkybug, you read my mind! And I love your hair, by the way. I am still learning to get clumps to stay, to get styling products to hold anything other than my natural wave, which asserts itself no matter what I do. Your clumps look great -- smallish ones over bigger whurls. I have the same frizz "problem" and I always want to do "just one more thing." Then I worry I'm overdoing it. I think the frizz is less when I use a vinegar rinse, but I wouldn't put money on it. If I mess with it while it dries, it gets frizzy/fuzzy, but if I leave it alone, it's less curly/wavy. Darned if you do, darned if you don't.
    Honestly, I think your "frizz" looks okay. Unless you want a really polished, perfected look (hosting-the-national-news polished), a little fuzz around the edges looks soft, sensual, and natural. It's the hair equivalent of responding to a compliment about a new dress with, "Oh, this old thing?" "Oh, my hair? Why I hardly need to do a thing, it looks this good on its own."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file