Product suggestions for high porosity, medium texture hair?

MoiraIndigoMoiraIndigo Posts: 21Registered Users
Hi,

I'm new to curly care and hoping somebody can help me pick out some products. I'm looking for a protein treatment, a moisturizing conditioner, and trickiest of all, styling products. I am utterly lost on styling products.

Protein treatment: I'm looking at the GVP Hair Reconstructor and Nexxus Emergencee Reconstructor. (I think these are protein treatments?) Are either of these good? Would you suggest something different?

Conditioner: I was thinking of going with Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition, but I read that salon quality counts here. Any recommendations?

Styling Products: All I know is that I need to stay far, far away from humectants (and the usual bad guys: silicones, salts, petrochemicals and short chain alcohols). I'm not sure if I should be using just a gel, or something else before/after. Really, I'm very confused about what to use, period. The goal is wash, apply product, and go, with a boost to the wavy.

As far as my hair elasticity goes, I'm not sure I've got that right. My hair is pretty short and hard to wrap around my fingers to keep a grip on when I'm stretching. It has both broken and stretched out but not back, keeping a nasty kink instead, in several tests.

Many thanks!
2aM/Fii
Medium texture with some fine mixed in, high porosity, lowish elasticity, normal thickness, comfy dewpoints, short hair, weak wave pattern.
Brand new to Naturally Curly

Comments

• pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If your dew points are comfortable, then humectants are your friend right now. In dews between 20-70 or 30-70, depending on which expert you ask, humectants are awesome. The draw moisture to the hair. You want this. It moisturized the hair.
    In dew points over 70, humectants draw too much moisture into the hair and cause frizz. In low dews there is no moisture in the air, so the humectants steal water (moisture) from your hair.

Curl chemist on humectants
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curly-q-a/curlchemist-humidity-humectants-and-hair

Also, IMHO, there isn't a big difference between salon products and drugstore products. If you read the ingredients lists, they sound similar. There is a difference between drugstore products and some of the boutique hair companies like curl junkie and spiral solutions. Many of these products don't have anything similar on the ground. It also makes sense to start with cheap products when you don't know what type of ingredients your hair likes. It is cheaper. Samples are another good way to go.
    I haven't tried either of the PT's you mentioned. I get the sense from reading that is just depends on your hair which you will prefer. The one from sally's has mineral oil if that is important to you. I've also read from many people who have tried lots of PTs seem to mention the same two as being best. [buylink=https://www.curlmart.com/Spiral-Solutions-Repairing-Protein-Treatment-p-1074.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Spiral-Solutions-Repairing-Protein-Treatment]Spiral solutions repairing protein treatment[/buylink] and curl junkie curl fix. Kathymack sells samples of both of these.

There is a big thread of love for GFTN. I liked it myself. I think it is worth a try and a good place to start.

Most people here use gel. If you have a weak curl pattern, you will probably want a hard hold gel. Biosilk rock hard gel, LA looks curls or sports gel, and Herbal Essences set me up gel are popular ones. If you need a medium hold gel, herbal essences totally twisted is a good one. The cones in this one are PEG cones that are water soluble and CG safe.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • MoiraIndigoMoiraIndigo Posts: 21Registered Users
    Thanks for your reply, pedaheh. I don't think dewpoint rises above 65 here often, if at all, so it looks like I'm safe until cooler weather hits. If it hits. We pretty much skipped winter here in San Diego this year.

I can't find GFTN in the acronym list or in the list of brands in the shop. Would you clue this noob in?

I think I'll try the LA Looks gel to start out with. Do I need another product to go underneath/over that, or is it good on its own?
    2aM/Fii
    Medium texture with some fine mixed in, high porosity, lowish elasticity, normal thickness, comfy dewpoints, short hair, weak wave pattern.
    Ha ha ha. I'm from North Dakota, so nothing you get in San Diego would seem like winter to me. :toothy5:
    GFTN is Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition. Sorry.

Most people like a curl enhancer under their gel. For things you can find on the ground, you may like Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel (like for sunburns), homemade flax seed gel, or bioterra curl cream from Sallys. I don't think too many wavies use curl cream. I love ecostyler as a curl enhancer. Many people find this has enough hold to use as both a curl enhancer and a gel. This might be worth a shot, since it is 3$(on sale, 4-5$ normally) a tub. CVS and sally's have it in their ethnic section.
    Here is a recent wavy thread on ecostyler.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=110028
    Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm is another popular moisturizing conditioner. It is generic biolage.
    Blerg. don't think the link is working right. But search this forum for a thread called "me and ecostyler-It's a love affair."
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    GFTN is Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition. Sorry.
    Okay, funny. Shows how much I'm paying attention.

You've convinced me. I'm gonna give Ecostyler a try. I'm curious: what's your go-to in winter?
    2aM/Fii
    I'm still looking. I'm hoping it will be homemade flax seed gel. Last year I used gel only.
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You're hair sounds a little like mine! I liked [buylink=https://www.curlmart.com/Spiral-Solutions-Repairing-Protein-Treatment-p-1074.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Spiral-Solutions-Repairing-Protein-Treatment]Spiral Solutions Repairing Protein treatment[/buylink] and Curl Junkie Curl Fix about equally in performance. I didn't however like the Spiral Solutions Deeply Decadent as a deep treatment though, liked Curl Junkie Curl Rehab much better! I haven't tried either of the drugstore brands.

Conditioner: I liked the GVP conditioning balm (Biolage knockoff) better than the GFTN. The GFTN has a lot of oils which your hair may or may not like. Another drugstore condish I like is Yes to Cucumbers.

Styling products: You can see I have a whole slew of products in my sig! It's really just trial and error. What may work for one season may not for another season. Does your hair have a stronger wave pattern? I highly recommend trying samples from kathymack if you're interested in non drugstore styling products.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

You're hair sounds a little like mine! I liked [buylink=https://www.curlmart.com/Spiral-Solutions-Repairing-Protein-Treatment-p-1074.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Spiral-Solutions-Repairing-Protein-Treatment]Spiral Solutions Repairing Protein treatment[/buylink] and Curl Junkie Curl Fix about equally in performance. I didn't however like the Spiral Solutions Deeply Decadent as a deep treatment though, liked Curl Junkie Curl Rehab much better! I haven't tried either of the drugstore brands.

Conditioner: I liked the GVP conditioning balm (Biolage knockoff) better than the GFTN. The GFTN has a lot of oils which your hair may or may not like. Another drugstore condish I like is Yes to Cucumbers.

Styling products: You can see I have a whole slew of products in my sig! It's really just trial and error. What may work for one season may not for another season. Does your hair have a stronger wave pattern? I highly recommend trying samples from kathymack if you're interested in non drugstore styling products.

I was just drooling over the SS Protein Treatment. Why didn't you like the Deeply Decadent? How porous is your hair?

I'm not sure anymore what my hair is capable of, what with all the damage and silicones. I've been able to scrunch blow-dry it curly in the past, but I usually blew it out straight(ish). Finger-combing it straight at any length meant it dried barely wavy. I stopped blow-drying it last week, and if I just scrunch and let it dry with no product or maybe a little bit of supposed frizz control, it's loosely wavy. I think it will be a lot curlier than I'm used to once I treat it, use the right products and stop beating it to death. Time to go with the wave!
    2aM/Fii
  • heidiheidi Posts: 243Registered Users
    pedaheh wrote: »
    If your dew points are comfortable, then humectants are your friend right now. In dews between 20-70 or 30-70, depending on which expert you ask, humectants are awesome. The draw moisture to the hair. You want this. It moisturized the hair.

Those temp. ranges don't match up with everything I've read about dewpoints. 45-60 or 35-65 are the ranges I've read that are safe for humectant use with low porosity (or normal but fine) hair.
    Since I've been watching dewpoints here there has not been one day so far where the dews are in the "comfortable" range. It's always under 45. Feels perfectly comfortable to me since it's all I've ever known, but not good for my hair :roll:. So I try to limit humectants even though I think my hair is more in the normal porosity range (its mostly fine and prone to dryness).
    Medium-fine Texture, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity, Thick Density
    Co-wash: Renpure Body&Shine
    RO: Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
    LI/Curl Enhancer: Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
    Other: I'll add a little AG Mousse Gel if I want something extra.
    I can't my source for my numbers. (may have to change my siggi) I did find this blog post. Scroll to bottom for numbers.
    http://pittsburghcurly.wordpress.com/2009/01/23/its-not-the-humidity-its-the-humidity/
    All hair is different, and you should do what works for you. My hair starts to reject humectants around the 20-30 range. At a dewpoint of about 65 it starts spinning in circles and singing a medley of Julie Andrews musical numbers. At 70 my hair is so cranky you don't even want to be around it.
  • heidiheidi Posts: 243Registered Users
    pedaheh wrote: »
    I can't my source for my numbers. (may have to change my siggi) I did find this blog post. Scroll to bottom for numbers.
    http://pittsburghcurly.wordpress.com/2009/01/23/its-not-the-humidity-its-the-humidity/
    All hair is different, and you should do what works for you. My hair starts to reject humectants around the 20-30 range. At a dewpoint of about 65 it starts spinning in circles and singing a medley of Julie Andrews musical numbers. At 70 my hair is so cranky you don't even want to be around it.

Hehe, no need to change your siggy! Going by that chart all summer has been in the "Iffy" range here and it's in the "Low" range the rest of the year. I doubt I've ever experienced the "Prime Curl" range and I know I've never had to deal with the high dews you poor ladies struggle with.

LCLF has the ranges for cautious humectant use at anything under 45° or over 60° and I know I read about the same thing when I was starting out because that's what I've been going by all summer. (I read several articles on the topic but no longer have them bookmarked.) I think one had the low's starting at 35° and highs at 65°.

But, yes, like you say all hair is different. Which is why there is sooo much trial and error with products and methods.
    Medium-fine Texture, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity, Thick Density
    Co-wash: Renpure Body&Shine
    RO: Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
    LI/Curl Enhancer: Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
    Other: I'll add a little AG Mousse Gel if I want something extra.
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte

I was just drooling over the SS Protein Treatment. Why didn't you like the Deeply Decadent? How porous is your hair?

I'm not sure anymore what my hair is capable of, what with all the damage and silicones. I've been able to scrunch blow-dry it curly in the past, but I usually blew it out straight(ish). Finger-combing it straight at any length meant it dried barely wavy. I stopped blow-drying it last week, and if I just scrunch and let it dry with no product or maybe a little bit of supposed frizz control, it's loosely wavy. I think it will be a lot curlier than I'm used to once I treat it, use the right products and stop beating it to death. Time to go with the wave!

Porosity is tricky for me to understand so I don't know how "porous" it is exactly. This summer I swam a lot in the chlorine and coupled that with being in the sun a lot as well which made my hair more porous. I mostly go by that it dries really quickly despite all my hair! It dries in less than two hours without product, and just a little longer with product.

I didn't like SS DD because it didn't give make my hair very slippery and soft. Some drugstores condishes I've tried have made my hair feel better!
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

heidi Quote:
    Originally Posted by pedaheh viewpost.gif I can't my source for my numbers. (may have to change my siggi) I did find this blog post. Scroll to bottom for numbers.
    http://pittsburghcurly.wordpress.com...-the-humidity/

Hehe, no need to change your siggy! Going by that chart all summer has been in the "Iffy" range here and it's in the "Low" range the rest of the year. I doubt I've ever experienced the "Prime Curl" range and I know I've never had to deal with the high dews you poor ladies struggle with.

LCLF has the ranges for cautious humectant use at anything under 45° or over 60° and I know I read about the same thing when I was starting out because that's what I've been going by all summer. (I read several articles on the topic but no longer have them bookmarked.) I think one had the low's starting at 35° and highs at 65°.

But, yes, like you say all hair is different. Which is why there is sooo much trial and error with products and methods.
    Thanks. I looked to see what dews they listed at LCLF but couldn't find them. I can't tell you where my numbers came from or if they are the least bit accurate. They could have come from some random poster.
    I suspect my dehydrated hair is going to LOVE oils, so I'm going to go with GFTN. I splurged on the SS PT and SS DD pair, and can't wait to see what happens with my hair. I'm also going to give Ecostyler a go, and top it off with LALSG if the hold isn't strong enough.
    At a dewpoint of about 65 it starts spinning in circles and singing a medley of Julie Andrews musical numbers.

I'd pay to see this.
    2aM/Fii
  • SalamanderSalamander Posts: 328Registered Users
    I've been using Nexxus Emergencee for a protein treatment; I'm going to give Joico a try next.

Conditioner: I love L'oreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss for medium/long hair that is wavy or curly (important to get that exact one as the other Nutri Glosses have cones), though of late it has been hard to find.

For styling, I'm using Eco-Styler Krystal and LOVE it. It's also cheap (around $3 for a large tub at Rite-Aid). It doesn't have quite enough hold for my lazy waves so I finish it off with just a dab of BRHG. Eco-Styler has protein so it's a good one for porous hair.
    2a/b right now; 2c when it's longer
    Fine/iii density/high porosity

Current favorites:
    Suave Naturals Coconut co-wash
    GVP Protein Restructuring Conditioner
    GVP Conditioning Balm
    Eco-Styler, LALSG, BRHG, Garnier Curl Shaping Spray Gel
    ACV rinse 1x per week

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights