Spontaneity
I'm not sure if this has come up before, but how do you feel about
having spontaneous overnight guests? Do you feel your home is
ready for them on a moment's notice?
I'll explain. Last night, as the bars were closing, my husband and I
ran into an old school friend of mine, she and her family were passing through
town and needed a place to stay.
At the same time that my husband was offering to put them up at our
place, I was telling the friend that I wasn't really ready for company.
Its pretty much true, my housekeeping has been a little slack, and
the bedrooms we would have offered are dusty, cluttered, and more than likely house some spiders. The bathrooms, as well, needed cleaning.
It was well past midnight, and we'd all had a few drinks.
Once I got home I realized it wasn't that bad, and today I feel kind of guilty
not letting them stay.
So I guess my question is this: Is it worse to say no to guests or to have them over when your housekeeping isn't up to par?
How would you feel as a guest in that situation, or as a host?

Comments

• LotsawavesLotsawaves Registered Users Posts: 9,777 Curl Virtuoso
    I'm a litte confused. So, were they just passing thru town and decided to go to a bar and it got late so they needed a place to stay? You said it was her and her family. Does this also mean children? If so, where were they? I know, I'm nosey.

To address your question. It wouldn't bother me if the house wasn't in shape for guests. It would have been the thought that counted.

From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • 2poodles2poodles Registered Users Posts: 2,485 Curl Connoisseur
    I'd stress about offering, but would probably do it - hoping they'd politely decline. If they were going to stay over, I'd rush home, change the sheets, clean the bathroom, dust up the obvious bunnies and bugs and apologize....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• crwrittcrwritt Registered Users Posts: 705 Curl Neophyte
    Lotsawaves wrote: »
    I'm a litte confused. So, were they just passing thru town and decided to go to a bar and it got late so they needed a place to stay? You said it was her and her family. Does this also mean children? If so, where were they? I know, I'm nosey.

To address your question. It wouldn't bother me if the house wasn't in shape for guests. It would have been the thought that counted.

It was her, her husband, and teen son. Another friend
    had mentioned they might show up at the same event we were going to. That friend left the event before she and her family showed up, so he missed them. I just chanced to recognize her, it had been decades since we'd seen each other.
    I did feel like if it happened again, I'd say yes, but
    wished I would have time to at least clean up quickly.
  • 2poodles2poodles Registered Users Posts: 2,485 Curl Connoisseur
    Wow. I didn't realize you hadn't seen her in decades. In that case, I probably wouldn't have felt too comfortable having them stay over on short notice....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    Call me inflexible, but I would not offer up my home as a flophouse in the middle of the night to someone I hadn't seen in decades.

Nor would I expect it of someone else.

I have to question the life skills of someone who lets it get to be midnight and still hasn't found a place to sleep for the night.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,731 Curl Virtuoso
    Call me inflexible, but I would not offer up my home as a flophouse in the middle of the night to someone I hadn't seen in decades.

Nor would I expect it of someone else.

I have to question the life skills of someone who lets it get to be midnight and still hasn't found a place to sleep for the night.

I couldn't say it any better than this. My house is pretty much always ready for guests. But I keep it like that for my own self, not because I actually want people to drop in unexpectedly. And having near strangers in my house (which they would be after all that time) isn't something I would want even with notice.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • VerityVerity Registered Users Posts: 616 Curl Neophyte
    I'd need at least a day's notice to be ready for overnight guests, and even then I'd stress out. The internet has been an education in how incredibly picky people are!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file