Heat protectant that is CG?

eneriymaeneriyma Posts: 45Registered Users
When I wear my hair wavy I use a hair dryer so much more than I did when I wear my hair straight, and my old heat protectant has silicone. Any suggestions?
2c (front and hairline)/ 2a (back and sides), Mii, normal porosity, medium elasticity.

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut Conditioner
Conditioner: Burt's Bees Super Shiny Grapefruit & Sugar Beet Conditioner, Renpure My Pretty Hair is Parched!
Pre-wash: Coconut oil

Products: Herbal Essences Set Me Up Gel, Herbal Essences Body Envy Volumizing Mousse, Kinky-Curly Curling Custard, Target Curls Cream Brulee, Target Curls Goddess Curl Gel

Comments

• pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I haven't used one, so I can't comment on how they work.
    This beyond the zone one from sally's is totally CG. It has several polyquats and one with a high number.
    https://www.sallybeauty.com/Volumizing-Mousse/SBS-140039,default,pd.html

This tresseme heat protectant is not CG. But the non CG ingredient is amodimethicone. The a-cone is partially water soluble and easier to remove then most cones. A low poo should be able to remove this if only use it once in a while.
    http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=147153&catid=3562&fromsrch=tresseme
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • eneriymaeneriyma Posts: 45Registered Users
    Pedaheh, thank you so much. Now I feel rather lazy, it's so nice of you to look those up even though you don't use one!
    2c (front and hairline)/ 2a (back and sides), Mii, normal porosity, medium elasticity.

Conditioner: Burt's Bees Super Shiny Grapefruit & Sugar Beet Conditioner, Renpure My Pretty Hair is Parched!

Products: Herbal Essences Set Me Up Gel, Herbal Essences Body Envy Volumizing Mousse, Kinky-Curly Curling Custard, Target Curls Cream Brulee, Target Curls Goddess Curl Gel
    I just reread this. I'm not sure you would want to use either of those on a daily basis. Polyquat 46?? (or whatever number it was) is a high numbered polyquat and will have potential for build up. It is high in the ingredients list. The a-cone is high in the tresseme list.
    If you can, keep your dryer on low. Glycerin can provide some heat protection.
    http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/05/glycerin-good-stuff-in-funny-form.html
    Maybe something high in glycerin would be a better option?? Hmmmm. Hopefully someone else knows.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Thanks for the info. I don't really know a lot about polyquats so it's time to do more research. It looks like just about any heat protectant without cones has polyquats. The glycerin lead looks like a possibility, though. Bummer - maybe I'll just have to go back to pinning my hair up most of the time!

Thanks! You are like a wavy research librarian!

• porque_pigporque_pig Posts: 238Registered Users
    I just got a new leave-in that is supposed to also protect against damage from heat styling. It's called Christophe Leave-in Conditioning Spray, and you can find it at CVS. It contains Quaternium-95. I don't know if that's the same as a polyquat or not. I looked it up and couldn't find a lot of info on it. I don't actually heat style my hair, so I can't tell you if it works as a thermal protectant, but I have really enjoyed it.
    :batman: 2b/cFi, low density, normal porosity, high elasticity

Low-poo
    : Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Conditioner
    : Suave Naturals (whatever scent I have on hand)
    Styling
    : Paul Mitchell Round Trip, Tresemme Climate Control Finishing Spray

I'm a hair minimalist: the less time I spend on my hair, the better.

Thanks, porque_pig - this looks promising, and I've seen it at my CVS. Oddly, the cosmetics database doesn't have any info on quaternium-45 and it's strange that a google search doesn't return any good results.

quats are different then pollyquats. I can't remember what quats do, but they are fine for CG.
    Changed my siggi. :lol:
    It's so true, you are! Haha, I was a little worried after writing that what you'd think (because some people don't think librarians very wonderful) but from me it is the highest of praise. :)

OT -Taking your advice and adding protein. Fingers crossed!

• rferfe Posts: 36Registered Users
    I love pedaheh's new nickname! She never fails to amaze me with her ability to always find the info and links anyone needs! :hello1:
    2B - Fine (but lots of it) Texture, High Porosity
    Not really CG at the moment, might try again once my hair is much longer (i.e. I can put it up if it looks awful
    8-))
  • ReddishRocksReddishRocks Posts: 779Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The best protection would be to lower your heat setting. :) I pixie curl with my diffuser on each section of hair for 2 minutes at a time on a low low setting. I did that for over a year without a haircut or any damage that I could attribute to the dryer. HTH!

17May09GlenEyriecrop-1.jpg

Hair is best when wabi-sabi.
    2b/2c at this length, more 3a when shorter
    M/C ii

Mod CG: Sept 08
    Using: Suave co-wash, GVP Conditioning Balm, Lustrasilk OOC, MGA, BRHG
    Humectants: @ dew point 40+
    My blog for dry climate curlies and growing out a pixie: Colorado Curly
    The best protection would be to lower your heat setting. :) I pixie curl with my diffuser on each section of hair for 2 minutes at a time on a low low setting. I did that for over a year without a haircut or any damage that I could attribute to the dryer. HTH!

Yeah, it's probably time for me to dial down the heat. After a decade of damaging my hair with color and heat it's strange to not reach for the heat protectant as soon as I get out of the shower.

P.S. I clicked through to your blog and really enjoy your writing style and reviews (and your hair color!!! jealous!). I noticed that your hair at the start of CG was straight underneath - mine has always had a straight section in the back with corkscrew curls under that... maybe it will eventually change. Who knows.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file