new! please help

klayrklayr Posts: 11Registered Users
So i just started the cg method a little over a week ago and i have already seen some improvement. :cya:
However, i have noticed that by about 4 oclock my waves have become stringy and my hair just looks like it needs to be brushed out. I was even offered a brush yesterday because it looked like I "needed" one. So far the only products I use are [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]Ag Recoil[/buylink] and LA Looks gel. I know thats not a lot of info but i really dont know why my hair looks like this and any help would be awesome.

Comments

• porque_pigporque_pig Posts: 238Registered Users
    It usually takes a little while (a few weeks or even months) for your hair to totally adjust to CG.

What is your routine? Are you CG or mod CG? How often do you co-wash or low-poo? It could be related to your conditioners and whatnot, not just your styling products. Let us know!
    :batman: 2b/cFi, low density, normal porosity, high elasticity

Low-poo
    : Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Conditioner
    : Suave Naturals (whatever scent I have on hand)
    Styling
    : Paul Mitchell Round Trip, Tresemme Climate Control Finishing Spray

I'm a hair minimalist: the less time I spend on my hair, the better.

• justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree with porque! Tell us more. Do you cleanse/style in the morning or at night. How often? What products do you use for that? Is your hair fine? Thick? Thin?
    We can offer opinions and share our experiences but need to know more to do so!
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
  • klayrklayr Posts: 11Registered Users
    Ok sorry about the lack of info. I'll try and fill in the gaps. I have fine hair but a lot of it. I use Organix coconut milk conditioner. It boasts about being all natural and healthy however it does have a silicone ( I wasn't aware of that when I bought it). I use the same brand of shampoo once a week. Also, I wash and style my hair in the morning. Occasionally at night.
    I think my problem is probably the conditioner, what would you suggest I use?
  • justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I also have fine hair but it is not thin. I have really done better with products with no cones and no sulfates.

I have been SUPER tempted to try Recoil but I have read and read and some fine haired beauties have cautioned me against it because my hair is fine and waves are lazy.

As porque suggested, a lowpoo may be in order. Again, with my fine hair, I cannot just cowash. Perhaps in the winter. I lowpoo and condition every other day or so. My hair looks better if I cleanse and add product at night and spritz and diffuse in the morning but that is really a personal preference. My hair holds buckets of water and takes too long to dry even wih diffusing!
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If you have fine hair, I'd suggest a protein treatment. Fine hair tends to need lots of protein. Follow with a deep treatment or moisturizing conditioner. Protein should give your waves their bounce back.
    I also find a hard hold gel helps to hold my hair all day.

If your hair doesn't have good clumps to start out with, try the ice queen method or the super soaker method.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
    Justajesuschick-So far I like Recoil hopefully I will continue to like it :). My hair also holds water ( I normally wash it at 6:30 and it doesn't dry all the way until about 10:30) so I tried washing it last night instead and I LOVE the way my hair turned out today.

Pedaheh-I have been wondering about
    protien treatments and I've read a lot abou them, I just don't know what to try. Is there an inexpensive one I could try to begin with? I'm pretty much clueless :/
    Sally's ion effective hair (not the reconstructor treatment) packs are 2$. This is mild. On some hair it is too mild to do anything.
    AO GPB is a protein heavy conditioner that is like a mild PT.
    Nexxus emergencee and joiko k-pac (and sally's knock off) are regular strength.
    Aphogee 2 step from sallys is very strong. Don't start with this one.
    Online, SS RPT and CJCF get a lot of buzz Kathymack sells samples.
    I think everything from sally's is reasonably priced.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
  • porque_pigporque_pig Posts: 238Registered Users
    I have fine hair, too. I have found that I can NEVER use a low-poo/conditioner set because the conditioner is always too heavy for my hair. I agree with the other folks that you should look for a lighter, cone-free conditioner. It will probably make a world of difference. You may need to do a sulfate wash to get all the build-up out of your hair. I had the same thing happen to me about a year ago, and the problem was product build-up from an "organic" line of sulfate-free hair products.

You may also need to low-poo more often. I can't co-wash, so I low-poo about three times a week. It makes my waves and curls bouncier.

I agree that protein would be a good idea. I usually don't do protein treatments. I just stick to protein-laden conditioners and hair products. My conditioner and leave-in both have nice amounts of protein. You can see them in my sig!
    :batman: 2b/cFi, low density, normal porosity, high elasticity

Low-poo
    : Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Conditioner
    : Suave Naturals (whatever scent I have on hand)
    Styling
    : Paul Mitchell Round Trip, Tresemme Climate Control Finishing Spray

I'm a hair minimalist: the less time I spend on my hair, the better.

• IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    How long is your hair? I have been CG for over a month and I am still a styling dunce, despite all the fabulous advice here, my hair does what IT wants and we haven't found out how to work together yet. That said, I have blonde hair which is fine but not thin. Once styled, to me, it looks like it needs at least a wide-toothed comb unless it's really crunchy. Then it looks like an 80s flashback. I think the length and the color (darker underneath) add to the "you need a comb!" look. Or it could just be the fact that your waves are still figuring out what they want to be when they grow up. Gangly youths. So no advice here, just commiseration. I don't yet know what the result of CG is going to be for my hair, and I imagine you are in the same position. It is frustrating. Keep plugging away. Good luck! BTW, I really hate LA Looks gel. It gives me the string-ies too.
  • SalamanderSalamander Posts: 328Registered Users
    I had some issues with "stringlets" in the beginning; my hair wanted to have very small clumps and then if the curl started loosening during the day it looked quite awful by late afternoon. My hair is very fine in texture but very thick and poofy so it looked like I had just lost my hairbrush or something.

The solution was to encourage larger clumps and use a gel with stronger hold.

I use the Icequeen method (do a search for exact directions -- but basically it involves applying everything from conditioner to leave-in to styling products by scrunching upside down -- no combing or raking) to encourage good clumpage, and I have to layer my products. Eco-Styler gives me nice curls but doesn't have enough hold so I put a little dab of BHRG over that.

The other key thing is DO NOT TOUCH YOUR HAIR AT ALL WHILE IT IS DRYING. If you have lazy wave patterns, that will loosen it further and then it just looks messy instead of wavy.

Weekly protein treatments and a weekly ACV rinse also help my fine hair. Both seem to tighten up my wave pattern and keep the frizz at bay.

Pixie-curl diffusing is also good for getting defined waves that last longer; do a search to find the directions for that.
    2a/b right now; 2c when it's longer
    Fine/iii density/high porosity

Current favorites:
    Suave Naturals Coconut co-wash
    GVP Protein Restructuring Conditioner
    GVP Conditioning Balm
    Eco-Styler, LALSG, BRHG, Garnier Curl Shaping Spray Gel
    ACV rinse 1x per week
    IAgirl, my hair does the exact same thing! 80's hair seems to be all I can get my hair to be. :-( My hair is really dark brown and currently needs to be colored again (blonde roots are not pretty) and it is to my bra strap in the back. I think the length and color definatly play a part in the "I need a comb" look. What gel do you use? I'm going to invest in a new one soon :)

Salamander, Where can you buy BRHG? I've heard a lot about it and I really want to try it. Also, what protien treatment do you use?
    KMart and CVS have BRHG. You can also get it at amazon.com in bigger bottles.
    Thanks pedaheh!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file