frizz from oil

pelirubiapelirubia Registered Users Posts: 17
I think I'm getting frizzy from my oil. Is this possible? I just started incorporating coconut, avocado, and jojoba oil into my routine and I think its causing me to frizz. I did a hot oil treatment with coc and avocado oils and got frizzy after that too. What's going on? What am I doing wrong? Also I seem to have a lot of buildup and itchiness that the low poo isn't helping. Any suggestions?

my routine:
wash: [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-LowPoo-p-54.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-lowpoo]deva low poo[/buylink]
cond: biolage
leave in: coconut oil then jojoba oil
gel: fsg

Comments

• curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Registered Users Posts: 2,034
    It could be. I've been experimenting with sealing (coconut oil is the only type I can use) and it's been giving me frizz.

There is also such a thing as oil build-up and intolerances. Honestly, it sounds like a lot to me. If low-poo isn't getting rid of it, try a sulfate shampoo. Then add them back one at a time, slowly, to see which one may be causing you problems.

I've learned through trial and error that my hair doesn't tolerate any oils except coconut oil. My hair gets really frizzy and soft on the first day (almost like over-conditioning) and then really dry the next day because moisture couldn't get through. A sulfate shampoo is the only thing to get rid of the build-up. I'm not sure if that's what you're experiencing, but it can happen! I hope this helps a little :)
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • pelirubiapelirubia Registered Users Posts: 17
    Thanks Curlyjen10. I'm gonna take your advice and just try one at a time and see which one is causing the problem. I think I might have been overdoing it.
  • waviewavie Registered Users Posts: 237
    This has happened to me...

Oil sort of prevents frizz at first, but after a while it just causes weird-looking, greasy frizz.
    Hair type: 2C-3A, very dry, extremely low porosity, med elasticity, insanely thick kinky-wavy.
    HGs: Trader Joe's Nourish spa conditioner, Epsom salt rinse, Joico K-pak conditioner
  • pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    Oil or butters left on the hair causes frizz for me. I can use coconut oil by adding it to my hair for 10 minutes to overnight (start with smaller amounts) and then cowashing it out. Some people need to low poo it out.
    My hair had an aweful reaction to jojoba oil as an ingredient in a shampoo. It made my hair feel gummy and aweful. Several low poos failed to remove it from my hair, but an ACV rinse (diluted in water) got it out. I think an ACV rinse is worth a try. Do a search to find out the proper dilution.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Registered Users Posts: 5,400 Curl Connoisseur
    Oils can build up quickly. I'm porous but I need to shampoo my hair every other day. Low poos are not enough for my hair. I love the results I get from using oils and shampooing than by going shampooless alone though.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file