ACV rinse didn't help!

HarmonyHarmony Posts: 10Registered Users
My waves were getting pretty limp, my hair felt super soft and the gel I was using wouldn't hold the curl - even if I use a little (or a lot!) more than usual. That means overconditioned, right?

I tried an apple cider vinegar rinse yesterday and it still looks the same. Should I do another one again tonight?

Thanks. Oh, and this is my first post, though I've lurked here for a while, so I hope I did it right!!
2b
medium porosity - medium thickness

Comments

• pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Could be over conditioning, could be product build up, could be using too many oils for your hair.

Do you know your hair properties? Are you using any protein products and have you tried a protein treatment? What products do you use?
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • HarmonyHarmony Posts: 10Registered Users
    I'm pretty sure my hair is medium thickness, normal porosity.

I colored it (from a box) a few days ago. I also used the Renpure Organics Amazing Miracle deep penetrating reconstructor.

I've been lowpooing occasionally with Abba Moisture shampoo. Cowash with Suave Aloe and Waterlilly. I've used Garnier Fructis Curl Shaping spray gel and Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Mousse and also the gel. I also have some Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Threat conditioner. Those are all the products I own right now!
    2b
    Ugh! How do I change my signature at the bottom of my post? I didn't write that!! Sorry for any confusion...I'm new...
    2b
    I'm not the best at hair diagnosis. Hopefully someone else will chime in.
    Is your hair elastic? Normal hair stretches 1/3 of its length and then returns to its original shape. Over conditioned hair streeeeeeetches and does not return to shape.
    Do you know if your hair if fine, medium, or coarse. Fine hair tends to need more protein.
    Most of your products have some protein in them. This is probably good.

Renpure reconstructor ingredients from drugstore.com. Sometimes ingredients online aren't up to date.
    Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Amodimethicone, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetrimonium Chloride, Trideceth 12, Aleurites Moluccana Seed Oil (Kukui), Silk Amino Acids, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Panthenol, Thymus Vulgaris Leaf Extract (Thyme), Urtica Dioica Extract (Nettle), Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil (Sunflower), Cetyl Esters, Sodium PCA, PEG 10 Soy Sterol, Lactic Acid, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Fragrance
    garnier curl shaping gel
    Aqua/Water/Eau, PVP, DMDM Hydrantoin, Iodopropyl Butylcarbamate, PEG 40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, PEG 192 Apricot Kernel Glycerides, PEG 70 Mango Glycerides, Aminomethyl Propanol, Polyacrylate 3, Limonene, Linalool, Propylene Glycol, Citrus Limonium (Lemon) Fruit Extract, Amyl Cinnamal, Parfum/Fragrance, FIL
    PEG Castor oil is not great for my hair. I actually own that gel and a mousse with that in it, but I couldn't use them every day. They make my hair sort of waxy/gummy feeling. A little coated. Plenty of people can PEG castor oil with no issues.

The reconstructor has an a-cone in the first five ingredients, which means it is cone heavy. Although this cone is partially water soluble and easier to remove. If you use it once in a while and occasionally low poo, it could be just fine. But it may also cause build up. If it were my hair, I'd avoid products with cones in them (especially in the first five ingredients) until felt like I understood my hair. When you have a feel for your hair, you know when something is building up. It can be harder to tell what is going on with your hair when you are just starting.

I've also read that panthenol can cause over conditioning in some peoples hair.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    There is an orange bar across the top of the page. Click "user CP" and then click "edit signature".
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    When my hair gets really soft and limp waves it usually means I need to do a PT+DT. My fav PTs are CJ Curl Fix and SS RPT.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

Wow, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I love this site!!

I lowpood with the Abba and did another ACV rinse just for the heck of it. I think it was a pretty weak mixture yesterday. I put in just a touch of the Giovanni TTTT and only used the HH TT gel. It's a lot better right now, but still way too limp and soft.

I'm going to toss the Garnier spray gel. I bought some Nexxus Emergencee the other day but haven't used it yet. Should I give that a try?
    2b
    I would give the emergencee a try. Unless you have coarse hair, then I might start with something not as strong.
    Don't toss the gel if it is working for you. Many people here use it and love it. I actually use it too. I was just pointing out possible problems. Based on someones suggestion, I sometimes use it as a "hairspray". It isn't a hairspray, but it can function kinda/sorta the same way sometimes.
  • plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    My hair is always straighter after I colour it. And since you coloured, I'd highly recommend a PT followed by a DT.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• SegBSegB Posts: 692Registered Users
    I found that the Giovanni TTTT conditioner REALLY started to weigh my hair down...There are a lot of oils in there...
    2b/3a, normal/high porosity, fine/medium texture, medium density, low elasticity

Low Poo- Tigi Colour Goddess, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT (clarify 1X/week)
    Condish- CJ Curl Rehab, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT
    Leave In- Slip Detangler, KCKT, Redken Curl Refiner
    Style- KCCC, SS CEJ, SS FHG
    Treatment- CJ Repair Me! and CJ CR

Dislikes: Too much protein, high glycerin content, and heavy oils
    Thanks so much for all the responses. You ladies are very helpful.

I only have a little bit of the spray gel left, and I haven't tossed it yet, so maybe I'll just hang on to it ;-) to use sparingly once I get my hair back under control.

I'll try the Emergencee next time I shower. Is that enough of a DT/PT by itself do you think?
    2b
    I lowpood again this morning. My hair was pretty tangled after that, so I used some Suave to untangle. Then I used the Emergencee. This felt really weird and almost kind of sticky when i put it on my hair. Is that normal???

It felt great after I rinsed it out. I think my hair is a little bit happier today!

I'm just not sure what to do next...
    2b
    It is normal for your hair to feel kind if hard right after a PT and before a DT or moisturizing conditioner. I call it the "Oh no! I broke my hair." feeling.
    Generally you would want to use moisture after a PT. If you didn't and your hair feels fine now, then you are fine. If you didn't and your hair seems too hard, then add some moisture.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file