How do you create "style" in your curly hair?

kabandmekabandme Posts: 2Registered Users
I love the feel of my hair with the CG method. I now have natural curls and much less frizz than when I straightened and fought against my natural hair.

My biggest challenge with the CG method and curls in general is creating a "style" with my hair. I have been clipping and that helps a lot, but I fight hard against the flat top. My hair tends to get really big and I can easily look like a ball of hair. It seems the more I try to create a style, I create frizz because I'm messing with it too much. I want something around my face so I don't look like I didn't even try with my hair.

What works for you? Should I add more clips (I use about 4 or 5)? Maybe layers? I love the back of my hair, but need something more to the front. Ideas?

Comments

• Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yes to layering to help the hair look more like a style.
    Also I am not good at clipping but have been clipping just the front hair over to keep it out of my eyes and then later when the clip comes out it does look styled.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • kabandmekabandme Posts: 2Registered Users
    I clipped this morning and literally looked like a lion. I had to laugh at myself in the mirror. My hair took every shape of the clip and went straight up from the root then curly. I'm wearing my hair up in a twist now. I need to work on creating a style during drying.
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    OK I'll be more specific, maybe it will help.
    I can't do the clipping at roots, if I don't wait till it's WAY dry, it just pulls out the curls & makes them straight, if I do wait it looks messy ugly at the top. Not curly enough, I think?

I have, however, lately been able to do the rinse upside down, scrunch upside down, since my hair's been shorter. This makes the curls all the way to the root and a little more volume at top.

So after the upside down scrunch, I stand up and sort of scrunch & gently shake the sides and back to loosen them so they don't make the wings or tangle too much.

Then I look at the front and see which way the hair wants to go, and pull it over to that side, like a side part but only the front. Loosely clip it with a little claw clip or 2 in an arrangement that will look OK dry - these will have to stay in until the hair is dry.

Then I usually try to get the top (behind that front part) to go in the opposite direction.

All of this GENTLY, not pulling.

Then I look in the mirror at the back to make sure no bald spots, the curl-to-root makes the top nice but since they clump up they can make huge partings that look bald while they are drying (they look OK once dry but terrible wet.)

How long is your hair?
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file