Style/shape help?

IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I really don't mean to make a pest of myself. This seems so lame, but I don't really have anybody who is "into" hair to ask about this and I am new to styling my hair at all.
What do I do with this? I really need advice! The top layer (and front) is always straighter with nice curl-ish hair underneath the canopy which flops around but cannot seem to stick out like curls might. When it's shorter, it's probably less curly -- otherwise I'd cut off length to see if curls popped up. It curls more when it's longer. When I'm growing out a pixie cut, it's a frizzball underneath a flat top! It's also styling-resistant! I've been modified CG for a little over a month. I cut a shoulder-length layer in the top which just looks bad. I have a pic of my post-wash curls (indoors, night-time), one with FSG and diffused (dark blue shirt, crinkly hair) and with no product and air-dried (light blue shirt, outdoors).
I've never had "cool hair" or especially pretty hair. I'm just wanting a "look" if that makes sense and I don't know how to work with this (other than ponytails and braids and pixie cuts). In fact, I only get comments/compliments on my pixie cuts, and when I wear a bun. Any suggestions?

Comments

• CheetaraCheetara Posts: 2,182Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Pixie cut? Your hair is so long your pixie cut must have been years ago!

240-sevyveg-natalie.jpg

You can look through a section on this site that has hairstyle pictures. Other than that, if you don't want to change your length you could cut bangs or change up the color.
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

• eneriymaeneriyma Posts: 45Registered Users
    How about some bangs? You could start with side-swiped, but I also really like blunt bangs with long, wavy hair.
    http://www.haironthebrain.com/2009/12/curls-bangs/

This girl has dark hair, but hopefully you can imagine what it would look like blonde. When I have bangs I find that either thick, blunt bangs, or long side-swept work best, because the thick ones weigh themselves down and don't get too frizzy, and the long ones look a little better with some volume.

I have this photo of Emma Watson bookmarked for my next hair cut, but it looks like her wave pattern might not be too far off from yours, if you want something shorter. Her look was done with a curling iron, but it looks very natural.
    http://www.doobybrain.com/2010/05/03/emma-watson-at-the-met-ball-in-new-york-city/

I also really love pixie cuts, so if you get compliments with those and you want it really short, go for it!
    2c (front and hairline)/ 2a (back and sides), Mii, normal porosity, medium elasticity.

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut Conditioner
    Conditioner: Burt's Bees Super Shiny Grapefruit & Sugar Beet Conditioner, Renpure My Pretty Hair is Parched!
    Pre-wash: Coconut oil

Products: Herbal Essences Set Me Up Gel, Herbal Essences Body Envy Volumizing Mousse, Kinky-Curly Curling Custard, Target Curls Cream Brulee, Target Curls Goddess Curl Gel
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks Eneriyma, I really like the style on Emma Watson! Bookmarking that one myself. If only just to look at and tell my hair, "be more mature!" I do have bangs -- but I cut them wet (duh) and they shrunk like crazy! Waiting for them to grow back to side-sweep-able length.
    Me in a pixie cut... imagine a 12 year old boy with lots of cowlicks. I was a 25 year old woman with a pixie cut and little boys would ask whether I was a girl! I grew up with one frequently because my mom didn't know how to deal with the un-kempt-ness and un-stylability of my hair.
    I love those brunette bangs too! Oh, but it just ain't gonna happen. Darn cowlicks. I love the rest of her hair, though. I don't know how they make it look like that.
    Thank you!
  • eneriymaeneriyma Posts: 45Registered Users
    Oh, the brunette def. used a curling iron. I'm kind of obsessed with that Emma Watson cut so I researched it and that's how I know it was styled with an iron as well. There are pictures of the sides and back out there, too, if you decide to get a cut like that. Cowlicks are tricky! I have friends who make side-swept bangs work with cowlicks, so I hope when yours grow out you like how they look.
    2c (front and hairline)/ 2a (back and sides), Mii, normal porosity, medium elasticity.

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut Conditioner
    Conditioner: Burt's Bees Super Shiny Grapefruit & Sugar Beet Conditioner, Renpure My Pretty Hair is Parched!
    Pre-wash: Coconut oil

Products: Herbal Essences Set Me Up Gel, Herbal Essences Body Envy Volumizing Mousse, Kinky-Curly Curling Custard, Target Curls Cream Brulee, Target Curls Goddess Curl Gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file