Dealing with depression, while trying to be a parent

....if anyone has any good resources on this topic, could you share them with me? A book, a good website, a discussion board...anything.

I'm having a hard time here lately. I'd love to read about others dealing with the same problem, it would help me a lot. Thanks.

Comments

• AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    I have no advice, but I'm really sorry you're going through this, and I think you have a lot of courage to be able to ask for help and to be parenting while dealing with your own troubles. HUGS.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• ruralcurlsruralcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,574
    ....if anyone has any good resources on this topic, could you share them with me? A book, a good website, a discussion board...anything.

I'm having a hard time here lately. I'd love to read about others dealing with the same problem, it would help me a lot. Thanks.

I am so sorry you are going through this. My husband suffers from depression, and it can be very difficult at times. I will ask him what books he likes and what sites he goes to.

Have you been to a doctor? My husband had to be dragged kicking and screaming to the doctor to get the help he needed, but things really turned around once he did.

Sending hugs and good vibes your way. icon7.gif

Just remembered, something that helped him was a nice relaxing cd to listen to at night, and on his lunch break from work. Doing some breathing exercises help, too.

Are you able to get out for walks?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Yes, we've both been to doctors, but only at my insistence. This past span of counseling did nothing for us. Half the time I was the only one showing up for the appointments. He has really, really bad depression, way worse than I do (I have started past threads on his problems, they're quite serious and long-ongoing I am sad to say)

I am actually taking antidepressants/anti-anxiety (which helps tremendously) but I lost my job and health insurance back in May. I've been trying NOT to just quit them because I know that's very bad, but.....

I'm not sure if I qualify for Medicaid (I do get unemployment). It doesn't seem very easy to qualify for food stamps/Medicaid in Virginia. My daughter got her FAMIS with no problem, though.

I have an appt with Planned Parenthood for my BC...they know I'm unemployed, and I plan on asking them for resources on trying to get affordable medication (and counseling, if possible).

I sent my regular doctor a letter informing her of my job loss/health coverage; she was following up w/me pretty thoroughly as far as my progress. She does not like to just perpetually write Rx's for antidepressants over and over for her patients with no other action.

She strongly advocates talk therapy in addition to the medications...I had finally decided to go back to counseling when I lost my job.

Anyway, some of it is PMS but I am having a problem staying motivated to get out of the house and to clean the house. It's a shambles and I have a really, really hard time coping. I'm mainly THE only one with my daughter, and lately it's getting to be....weighty. Not outright stressful, but just.....hard.

I'm surprised at how little I'm able to find on this. I've found some great reading online on living with depressed spouses.....living with depressed parents.....but not much from actual depressed parents (mothers in particular) trying to raise children.

I was doing really well.....but I've taken a downturn in some sort of way. I was all over the place earlier this summer--taking trips, taking the kids to the beach with friends. Now I'm finding it a little harder to get out of bed and get up and do stuff. Anyway...Thanks so much for your kind thoughts and words.
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    Sinistral, how many kids do you have? How old?
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I have one daughter, she's 6 years old. I suffered horribly from PPD after she was born. Depression runs in the family and has always been an issue for me off and on through the years, but her birth marked a HUGE downturn. I've really, really struggled with it ever since.
  • ruralcurlsruralcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,574
    What part of VA are you in? I live there, too.

Have you been to the health department or social services?

Sounds like you know this, but do not stop that medication without a doctor's okay.

Does your daughter go to school?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file