Effectiveness of Sunscreens

outtahereouttahere Posts: 343Registered Users
There was a discussion here awhile ago about the effectiveness of sunscreens. It was said that most sunscreens in the U.S. are ineffective because they're photo-sensitive and break down easily in the sun. Neutrogena Dry Touch is one of SPFs that was recommended in that thread. But, then I read that lotions with certain ingredients - avobenzone was one - are what you need. As long as it has those ingredients and is broad-spectrum. I have Coppertone Water Babies SPF 50 with Avobenzone that I wear year-round. How do I know if it is a "durable" sunscreen? I'm assuming it's not because it wasn't listed with the Dry Touch, but I guess I'm confused because the article I read says it's a good one. There doesn't seem to be much clear information out there on this topic. I'm also not sure what is really true and what is being put out there to sell products. Can someone please explain it to me? Is my sunscreen ok, or do I need a stronger one? I wear sunscreen year-round to prevent pre-mature aging, but in the midwest where it's cloudy and 30 degrees this time of year, is it really necessary? Plus, I'm kind of in the mindset that we're all going to age, anyway. I don't want to be wrinkly at 25, but I'm close to that age and don't have a whole lot of aging signs. How much of it is stress and genetics related compared to sun? When you're 30, you're going to show signs of aging regardless of what SPF you use? I'm just trying to decide if buying a certain type of SPF is worth it. I'm definitely wearing it because I'm fair-complected, but I really don't know what to buy at this point.

Comments

• ariesxtremeariesxtreme Posts: 123Registered Users
    If wrinkles are what you're concerned about I wouldn't worry too much about the SPF, that against UVB rays. What you want to be concerned about are UVA rays whether it's short or long. It's true that the US is lacking in their SS department. If I were to use a US brand it would be Neutrogena with Helioplex SPF 55 since the Helioplex makes it photostable. I myself am still learning about the whole ss and to be honest, it's all personal preference. Some like Japanese brands because they tend to have more of a matte finish, but for me it's not an option since the PPD ratings on those aren't as high as European ones (PPD=effectiveness of blocking UVA rays) UVA rays are what causes aging in the skin. Japanese sunscreens usually have a PPD rating of about 8 or so like their American counterparts. The Europeans ones are about 28 and range a little lower or higher than that. I'm also in the midwest, just because we get snow in the winter doesn't mean using ss isn't important. From my understanding UVA rays is constant throughout the day unlike UVB rays, so it doesn't matter if it's cloudy or not.

Then you get into physical and chemical ss debate and the verdict is still out on which is really better. Physical absorbs the rays while chemical reflects it. The whole ss discussion gets me still confused, with all the different ingredients and how it reacts when it's combined with this or that. Hopefully some of this has helped. Let me try to dig up a few articles regarding this if I can later.

One thing though I wouldn't recommend is using a moisturizer that has a built in sunscreen. Something in the moisturizers diminishes the effectiveness of the ss. Also an SPF 15 in a moisturizer is highly inadequate even for everday normal wear. I'd recommend a separate ss along with your moisturizer, it may be a two step process, but the outcome will be quite beneficial.
  • outtahereouttahere Posts: 343Registered Users
    If I were to use a US brand it would be Neutrogena with Helioplex SPF 55 since the Helioplex makes it photostable.

What exactly does photostable mean? That the SPF doesn't diminish over time in the sun? So do sunscreens that aren't photostable break down really easily, or does it just mean that you have to apply the sunscreen more often than a photostable sunscreen? Thanks.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,732Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i use sunscreen with spf 15 from November through March and 30 spf the rest of the time.

if you're using sunscreen properly - ie, wearing enough of it - you will go through a bottle so quickly that it won't have time to break down.

whether or not a product is "photostable", you should still follow the reapplication guidelines of the Skin Cancer Foundation:

http://www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer/prevention/year-round-sun-protection.html
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • ariesxtremeariesxtreme Posts: 123Registered Users
    Kenzie_06 wrote:
    If I were to use a US brand it would be Neutrogena with Helioplex SPF 55 since the Helioplex makes it photostable.

What exactly does photostable mean? That the SPF doesn't diminish over time in the sun? So do sunscreens that aren't photostable break down really easily, or does it just mean that you have to apply the sunscreen more often than a photostable sunscreen? Thanks.

Pretty much, the effectiveness of the sunscreen diminishes. Technically you are supposed to reapply sunscreen every few hours, but let's be real who can do that when they're at work and have makeup on and so forth. They do sell powder that one brushes on the face that has ss in it that one can reapply throughout the day. The only time I see the sun during the week is when I drive to work. By the time I leave work it's pitch dark out now.

A few non US brands that people seem to like are Shiseido Ultimate SPF 55 which I have a bottle of, Sofina Sun Killer, those are both Japanese brands and are really matte. I've also used LPR Anthelios, Bioderma AKN Spray and Bioderma Max Fluide, all about SPF 50 or so with PPD ratings of 28 or higher. Only U.S Brand I've used was the Neutrogena SPF 55 with Helioplex, only to tie me over til my shipment arrived of the new ss, but will be using this on the body during the summer months.. Before that I was using a moisturizer with a built in ss with SPF 15 which was a huge mistake and didn't find out til later which I regret.
  • SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    This is not on the topic of photostability, but...

I've noticed that most European & Japanese sunscreens (which are often considered superior to US products) contain drying alcohols. That is the primary reason (other than cost) that I have not tried them. I assume the function of the alcohol in the product is to help it dry quickly on the skin and provide a less oily/greasy/heavy feeling? But wouldn't these products be drying to the skin?
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
    it seems to counteract the "greasiness" that most people notice...

i just use sunscreen formulated for facial use.
    My blog:

• outtahereouttahere Posts: 343Registered Users
    rouquinne wrote:
    it seems to counteract the "greasiness" that most people notice...

i just use sunscreen formulated for facial use.

So, rouquinne, do you use a European or Japanese sunscreen? I would worry about the drying alcohols, too, since I have naturally dry skin. I usually use a heavy moisturizer during the winter, and layer sunscreen over that on my face and hands only. So basically the only difference b/w your average Coppertone SPF 50 and a European photostable sunscreen is that the Euro one doesn't need to be applied as often? Are Euro sunscreens better at combatting UVB rays?
    i use whatever's on sale.

seriously, my skin isn't overly dry for my age or oily anymore. Olay Daily Defense or Neutrogena Healthy Defense are my usual choices. they don't break me out, but i've heard many others say that they do.
    My blog:

• BlondieCurlBlondieCurl Posts: 108Registered Users
    How much of it is stress and genetics related compared to sun? When you're 30, you're going to show signs of aging regardless of what SPF you use.

My biggest expense when it comes to skin care is sunscreen and it's worth it. (I use the European stuff.) Sorry I don't have pics posted on the web where you can see for yourself, but...

I've been using sunscreen - higest SPF I can find - since I was in high school. I'm seriously sunphobic. My sister on the other hand is tanorexic. She tans year round. I'm 33. She's 29. Most people think I'm the younger sister. (It really makes her mad!) Last week I was at the bookstore. I was wearing jeans and a sweatshirt, no makeup. Some guy asked me what college I went to. You may not have signs of aging at 25, but using sunscreen now is like insurance. It's going to prevent the signs from cropping up later.

Keep the faith. Slather on the SPF.
    Somewhere between a 2-3a, Currently loving Innersense Quiet Calm Curl control cocktailed with L'Oreal Melting Gel.
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Posts: 2,551Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    So where do you guys buy the European stuff? I now use the Shesiedo SPF 55 and like that it is matte. I have tried the Helioplex stuff and felt it was too greasy.

I've looked online for the Euro stuff but it seems difficult to find places that ship here. Help!

Thanks.
  • BlondieCurlBlondieCurl Posts: 108Registered Users
    http://www.zitomer.com

I usually get the50+ Anthelios Fluide Extreme. It's very watery, not greasy and works nicely under makeup or powder. One bottle usually lasts me about 3 months and I use it EVERY day. When I order from Zitomer, I usually get my order within two days and about every other order they'll send me a $10 off coupon.
    Somewhere between a 2-3a, Currently loving Innersense Quiet Calm Curl control cocktailed with L'Oreal Melting Gel.
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Posts: 2,551Registered Users Curl Neophyte

I usually get the50+ Anthelios Fluide Extreme. It's very watery, not greasy and works nicely under makeup or powder. One bottle usually lasts me about 3 months and I use it EVERY day. When I order from Zitomer, I usually get my order within two days and about every other order they'll send me a $10 off coupon.

Thanks. I just ordered some, however, it is not available right now so I have to wait, it didn't say how long though.

I sure wish we would have had all of this info about sunscreen when I was younger.
  • mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    you definitely should use a photostable sunscreen with a high ppd. most american sunscreens don't have these qualities. i can definitely tell the difference, because once i started using them, my skin tone stayed even, my hyperpigmentation faded, and i never get new freckles. with a non-stable, low ppd sunscreen, all of these were still an issue.

i use vichy ultrafluide 50+ that my bf brings or sends me from europe.

before i started using it, i used neutrogena ultra sheer dry touch 55.

starting young is the key to prevention, and even when the sun is not shining hot, there are rays doing potential damage.

using good sunscreen thorougly and consistently has made my skin look better than it ever has. between this, a combination of regular chemical exfoliation, and thorough quality moisture, my skin is near-perfect, and i don't even wear face makeup anymore. my skin used to be a total mess.

m

eta: the sunscreens i mentioned have been very good for my combinatio, break out prone skin. i don't get too much shine from them, and they don't seem to block my pores as i never break out.
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

• ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    m-

What type of moisturizer do you use?

Did some research on Vichy. Vichy is a division of French cosmetics giant L’Oreal. Interesting.

Do you order your Vichy online? Also, with using the Neutrogena, did you experience results...on par with the Vichy?

Thanks!
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    i don't use a moisturizer for day. my skin is on the oily side of combo, and i find the vichy ultrafluide to be sufficient moisture for me. same with the neutrogena 55. that's one of the things i like very much about them. i adore simplicity and the less steps the better.

the vichy will tend to ball up a bit if i try to use it over a moisturizer, the neutrogena not as much.

i find them to be comparable in terms of protection and not breaking me out. the neutrogena does tend to be a tiny bit less matte than the vichy, so i get a touch of forehead shine with it once in a while.

my bf sends or brings me the vichy when he visits from europe.

at night i use a little dab of aveda intensive hydrating masque (it's oil-free, but very, very moisturizing). once a week or so i do a deep moisturizing masque of either the aveda or la roche-posay's hydraphase masque .

m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

^^^ ditto on this - my sunscreen is my daytime "moisturizer"!

:D
    My blog:

• ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    sdcurly wrote:

Thanks. I just ordered some, however, it is not available right now so I have to wait, it didn't say how long though.

I sure wish we would have had all of this info about sunscreen when I was younger.

sd curly,

have you received this product? if so, how do you like it?

thanks!
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file