New to CG - Flat curls?

RaleighitewavesRaleighitewaves Posts: 17Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hey CG's! I think I need some help. After finding this forum on a extremely bad hair day, I went home, did the 1 last shampoo with sulfates, and started the CG method.

One thing to note - I did not go buy new products as I have about a million here at home that I was sure I could find a few that were CG Friendly.

I did a co-wash with Yes to Carrots watered down. Wide tooth combed through once. Condish with Yes to Carrots.

Squeezed excess water. Added sally Hershberger Style Primer for Wavy Hair (never seen listed here but didnt see any -cones, -xanes), Herbal Essences Set me up Mousse (again, havent seen listed but didn't see any cones). And scrunched in this horrific who knows where this came from gel called "La Bella Lots of Curls Styling Gel".

Then I plopped for about 10-15 mins before I had to run out the door again.

My hair feels light, soft, fluffy, but the waves are barely existent. They looked better right after plopping but have dried out more and are looking pretty limp.

Pre-CG, I used anything that said volumizing or frizz control on it and had about a 1 in 3 chance of curls. But these little waves are pitiful for my hair.

Seriously, I know this is a long post, but I'm at such a loss. I just started and I already feel defeated.

Should I rinse with water tomorrow and try again? Co-wash again, already? Pre-CG I was washing my hair every 3 days and had no oil issues.

On a good curl day I'd put myself between a 2b and 2c. Today is like a 2a-.

Advice? Help?
2b waves, fine, low porosity hair, with occasional ringlets in bottom back layer. Easily over conditioned. Loves protein

No Poo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat (once/week)
Co-wash: V05
Conditioner: Garnier Fructis Triple Moisture (eo wash)
Styler: Sammy's Curl Reactivator or Ecostyler & Water mix (50/50), La Bella Curls gel

Curl-ease towel & pixi-diffusing on high heat, low speed

Wash at night,pineapple for 2nd, sometimes 3rd day hair

Comments

• IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It would seem to me you got over-conditioned for one. I just did this too and my hair was soooo soft, shiny, glossy... and almost no waves. Pretty darn blah, wave/curl wise. Plus, adding a lot of styling stuff can weigh hair down. Just the weight of water can weigh hair down. Have patience and be willing to go the trial-and-error route. This is a process. Good luck.
  • justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I am a 2a and I have discovered that I cannot plop. Pulls out what waves I have.

I agree with IAgirl. I can oc faster than anything!

The ladies here also taught me that it would take at least 30 days to see a difference and I have. Patience is not in my list of virtues!

For me, it is trial and error. You will find products that your hair like and those it does not. Another lesson here was to introduce one product at a time. That helps in the detective work. Your hair could be responding to just one of the products that you tried.
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
  • RaleighitewavesRaleighitewaves Posts: 17Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the help. I probably did oc, I was more afraid of under cond. so I probably went a bit overboard.

I have tried these products in different combos before, but never all 3 together. Pretty sure I did an overboard on this part too.

Of course, all this was pre-CG so my hair was super dry all the time.

I have learned in the past that leave-ins are not my friend, so do you think just a co-wash would be enough? I'm thinking cut back on the cond w/o a leave-in would leave me with a co-wash only, but that sounds a little dry.

Additional thoughts?
    2b waves, fine, low porosity hair, with occasional ringlets in bottom back layer. Easily over conditioned. Loves protein

Styler: Sammy's Curl Reactivator or Ecostyler & Water mix (50/50), La Bella Curls gel

• IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Perhaps just the co-wash and the gel (or mousse). Try it plopping and then not plopping. I think keeping your routine simple helps you zero in on what is working (said she who still does not know what works well for herself). I am getting a good feel for what does NOT work, though. That's really good info to have.
  • RaleighitewavesRaleighitewaves Posts: 17Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    So I'm now on day 2 of CG and I'm not expecting to see a great deal of progress yet, but I have been able to better clumps.

My profile pic is of today's hair. I hope it keeps getting better...On my best days I'm close to a 3a !! :-o

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file