CurlTalk

Your worst holiday gift ever?

SuZenSuZen Posts: 1,595Registered Users
Mine was a navy-blue turtleneck sweater from my then-boyfriend. It didn't take a rocket scientist to decipher the message. I ditched him and exchanged the sweater for something more fun.

Comments

• solangesolange Posts: 2,539Registered Users
    I received a pair of used sweatpants from my college roommate. She didn't bother to wash them first so I had a little suprise in the crotch area :D .
    3C, BSL Unstretched -
  • SuZenSuZen Posts: 1,595Registered Users
    solange wrote:
    I received a pair of used sweatpants from my college roommate. She didn't bother to wash them first so I had a little suprise in the crotch area :D .

EEEEWWWW! (I need a disgusted smiley face.)
    :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted:
    3C, BSL Unstretched -
  • SilverwoodSilverwood Posts: 39Registered Users
    Mine was a cheap Zippo knock-off lighter from my first roommate in college whom I had ditched after one semester. She knew I would be opening it up in front of my parents who didn't know I smoked! The funny thing is, we're still friends 35 years later and I'm going to a Christmas party at her house Saturday night.
  • B-wavyB-wavy Posts: 1,733Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Mine was from my supposed best friend who took a really hideous Victorian-patchwork-HIDEOUS stocking she had gotten from someone else in years past and filled it with a bunch of....well...used crap from around her house. It might have been okay if it was stuff I actually would have liked or used, but it was just bizarre, random stuff. A package of Rainbow Fish book plates. A small, obviously worn, stuffed parrot. An empty tin box. Need I go on? Regifting at it absolute suckiest. :P
  • MoppyTMoppyT Posts: 998Registered Users
    My boyfriend in college gave me an $8 coffee grinder. A little box of chocolates, too. I think he shopped at Walgreen's that year.

Last year, my parents gave me one of these:
    62000.jpg

I remember thinking, "You have met me, right?"
    The best revenge is living well. The second best revenge is fire ants.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    One year my parents bought me this ugly shirt/jacket/sweater/creature thingie. It looked like the picked it from the Grandma collection. It was some ugly dark paisley. I still get sick thinking about it.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    My friend got my crayons once. I didn't throw them away or anything, I used them (I still have them on a shelf in here somewhere...), but it was a pretty weird gift. :P

Sarah

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • PeppyPeppy Posts: 3,290Registered Users
    One year my husband gave me a pullover sweater vest. One like your granny would wear. But that wasn't the worst.

The next year, he gave me another one. Same thing, different color. I showed him the one from the year before with the tags still on it.

He doesn't buy me clothes any more. :lol:
  • sassette726sassette726 Posts: 694Registered Users
    MoppyT wrote:
    My boyfriend in college gave me an $8 coffee grinder. A little box of chocolates, too. I think he shopped at Walgreen's that year.

Last year, my parents gave me one of these:
    62000.jpg

I remember thinking, "You have met me, right?"

Er... what is that thing? :?:
    2b copper penny red
    "While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats."

CURRENTLY USING:
    Renpure Moisturizing Shampoo, Body Shop Banana Conditioner, Ouidad Tress Effects GelMy fashion blog:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fa-la-mode-2010.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
  • sassette726sassette726 Posts: 694Registered Users
    My sister once gave me a DVD of a movie I had specifically told her I didn't like. The best part? She left the $4.99 Wal-Mart clearance sticker on it. :?
    2b copper penny red
    "While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats."

CURRENTLY USING:
    Renpure Moisturizing Shampoo, Body Shop Banana Conditioner, Ouidad Tress Effects GelMy fashion blog:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fa-la-mode-2010.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
    Sounds like roommates are the worst gifters so far.
    Peppy wrote:
    One year my husband gave me a pullover sweater vest. One like your granny would wear. But that wasn't the worst.

The next year, he gave me another one. Same thing, different color. I showed him the one from the year before with the tags still on it.

He doesn't buy me clothes any more. :lol:

I feel you on this!!

My husband doesn't know what my sizes are and isn't allowed to buy me clothing other than the random sweatshirt or t-shirt.
    3C, BSL Unstretched -
  • MoppyTMoppyT Posts: 998Registered Users
    Er... what is that thing? :?:

It's a lamp. A lamp that looks like a horrible, horrible purse.
    The best revenge is living well. The second best revenge is fire ants.
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    My mother is terrible at gifts. It would be easier to list the one gift she got me that I liked :lol:
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    I've gotten some strange re-gifts from my SIL.

One was a small tin of makeup meant to "smooth fine lines and wrinkles." It was obviously a regift because the original box the makeup came in was gone and the tin had been taped shut. Oh and I didn't have fine lines and wrinkles--I was a teenager.

The other was actually for my mom. It was in with a bunch of other bizarre regifts but this one took the cake--a single knife and the cardboard sheath had my SIL's stepmom's name written on it. :shock:
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users
    I got a few the first was from my grandma who got me a bunch of hair barrettes, when my hair was bob length.

And my Mother in-law is always gives the worst gifts period. And every year it just gets worse and worse. One year she got me this very horrid, large clown puppet. You know the ones with the strings? And with her, if there is something that we diffinately DONT want she will get it for us. I think she buys everything at the local gas station/cornor store.
  • DominicanaHeatDominicanaHeat Posts: 2,729Registered Users
    Ha, it was a cappuccino maker I got from a Secret Santa gift exchange at my old job. It was manual (it looked more like a penis pump!) and it broke the moment I tried to use it. :lol:
    3a/3b thick coarse WL dark brown hair. CG/Mod CG since: 5/4/05. Current products: Right now my hair is in such a tizzy over this winter weather we are hving that nothing really seems to be working. I need a haircut.
  • pinksugarpinksugar Posts: 2,346Registered Users
    a NEON green purse from my wicked SIL.
  • PeppyPeppy Posts: 3,290Registered Users
    (it looked more like a penis pump!)

A drink machine that looks like a penis pump? :shock: :lol:
  • medusahairmedusahair Posts: 3,515Registered Users
    Pink totally bendy don't work and just break tools. Pink........ I kid you not and tools........ That was the last time they ever made that mistake

My father got an awful one. My mom completely just forgot him. We knew she had gotten black sweats for my brother, she took one of those pairs and gave them to my father, unwrapped just handed them over. I can't believe they're still married.

oh wait one more, I got a swiffer one year. Is that a hint or just something to throw at them that won't hurt much?
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FMedusahair%2F" class="Popup

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
    medusahair wrote:
    Pink totally bendy don't work and just break tools. Pink........ I kid you not and tools........ That was the last time they ever made that mistake

My father got an awful one. My mom completely just forgot him. We knew she had gotten black sweats for my brother, she took one of those pairs and gave them to my father, unwrapped just handed them over. I can't believe they're still married.

oh wait one more, I got a swiffer one year. Is that a hint or just something to throw at them that won't hurt much?

Ha!

When I was single my mom was always giving me small-size crockpots and electric frying pans and whatnot. She really was not very subtle about hinting that I should do more cooking for myself! Meant well, though.
  • aptheislandgirlaptheislandgirl Posts: 636Registered Users
    My ex's family would sent the most god awful gifts ever. I can't think of one nice thing they ever bought us.

First it was a hideous $20 bedroom set from Walmart. I shudder every time I think about it. It was a south western theme and came with the matching skirt, pillow cases, etc. The sheets felt like tissue paper. The only time time we would use it was when they were coming to visit.

His family was bad about sending us blankets. I was always like, hello we live in the south morons! You may live where it snows but if you read the paper, watch the news, or ventured out of your house once a month you would know that the climate varies in different parts of the country.
    One of the blankets was a kit...you know the ones that you have to knit or stitch yourself. It was so lame. A tiger. And one of the squares was upside down. :?

I felt sorta bad at the time because my ex would be so embarrassed cause my family sent awesome gifts.

I had a coworker once and she was dating a guy for about six months. It was their first Xmas together and he bought her a generator. It was actually one of those things you throw in the back of your car and you can use it for emergencies. I forget what theyre called.
    That would have been a deal breaker for me. First Xmas presents should always be easy. Jewelry, perfume, dinner, etc...
  • Pretty much everything my stepmom has ever given me for Christmas. Some things that stand out are The Clapper, a Martha Stewart 2003 cookbook when it was 2005 (at least the ****-a-leekie recipe gave us a laugh), various crappy pieces of coral jewelry from various cruises my dad and stepmom had been on, this awful sweater with a crazy zig-zag pattern, my dad and stepmom's framed engagement picture, and a size large sleeveless top... with the way my dad gets so concerned about me being skinny you'd think the woman would have realized I wear a small.

Sorry that was so long. I'm a TAD bitter.

Oh, yeah. She gave my brother peanuts two years in a row. Not even nice peanuts, but regular old Planters.
    2C/3A -- wurly!
  • embudiniembudini Posts: 580Registered Users
    Labels. :x
    PW: ihaveafotki :toothy2:
    Fotki UPDATED! 12-14-2007
    3A-3B layered-longer-than-shoulder-length-not-really-CG
    Former Tween Scene Columnist
  • gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    We did a gift exchange at work last year, I got a water bottle.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
  • three rivers curlythree rivers curly Posts: 994Registered Users
    Gloves. Nothing else. Just gloves - they weren't even great gloves. From a "boyfriend".

Buh - bye.
    Better everyone think your a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Perception is not reality.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fhmiklos" class="Popup
  • RheannaRheanna Posts: 2,614Registered Users
    When I was 14, my grandpa and his wife gave me a sweater with a puppy on it. It was a children's large. I was in adult clothes. It was also see-thru and they left the price tag on it; from the Dollar General. :lol:

The worst gift I've ever seen someone else get is what my hubby got the first Christmas we were dating. My grandparents didn't know him well at all, but they knew that sometimes we went bowling as dates. Mind you, he's not a big bowler and he didn't have his own ball or anything. They were really grasping for something that he'd like, so they got him a bowling bag (for his ball that he did not possess). Only it was baby blue and looked JUST. LIKE. A. PURSE. He opened it and looked over at me like " :?: " and I'm sitting there thinking 'OH MY GOD, Why did my grandparents just give my boyfriend a purse?!" I felt so bad for him.

ETA: These are different grandparents btw! Hehe. The first is my paternal grandparents, the second maternal. Just didn't want anyone to think that my grandparents are just horrendous gift-givers.
    DPTFm5.png
  • BefrizzledBefrizzled Posts: 3,854Registered Users
    A family friend asked my mother if I read romance novels, and she said no, I didn't like them. So what did I get? A romance novel. It's not necessarily a bad gift, I was just peeved that she asked about it, my mother said not to get it for me, and she did anyway. I returned it.. maybe even that night.
    Under construction.
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    I don't really remember any Christmas gifts. I do remember getting roller skates for Christmas when I was 12, but other than that? Nope.

I guess that means I've never gotten a bad Christmas gift. :lol:
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*