Huge mistake..help!

vampirecurlsvampirecurls Posts: 50Registered Users
Recently, I let a salon use a flat iron on my hair. Never having done this before I had no idea what to expect. What I had later was damage so severe that there was no recourse but to cut it incrediably short. I had fish hook split ends, burned and breakage in other areas..it was a mess. I was told by the salon that I should of known my type of hair couldnt handle such intense styling and they offered a deep conditioning treatment..what ended up was me going to another salon and having them cut it so short its nearly into a pixie style. I barely have enough length to see the natural curl anymore. I know now its a matter of letting it simply grow out but are there products to use to keep it conditioned and soft while its growing out?. I dont buy anything online so I need ideas of things I can find locally. Really any advice would be welcomed right about now.

Comments

• MissConstruedMissConstrued Posts: 323Registered Users
    They offer a nice selection of curly hair products on this website. If you click on the "Product Reviews" link next to "Curltalk" above you can search products by hair type and see how how they rank by people on this website and their comments. Hope this helps.
    "The one unchangeable certainty is that nothing is certain or unchangeable."

Hair type: 3C
    I am a serial cutter :help:
  • porque_pigporque_pig Posts: 238Registered Users
    I would just recommend using your regular conditioner or co-wash as a leave-in. It will protect your hair from future damage.

I hate that for you! I don't blame you for going to another salon for a new cut. I can't believe they told you that YOU should know what your hair could handle. I would think their expert stylists would be the source for that info. But at least you know your hair is healthy, and you don't have to worry about taking care of damaged hair. Good luck with the growing out process!
    :batman: 2b/cFi, low density, normal porosity, high elasticity

Low-poo
    : Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Conditioner
    : Suave Naturals (whatever scent I have on hand)
    Styling
    : Paul Mitchell Round Trip, Tresemme Climate Control Finishing Spray

I'm a hair minimalist: the less time I spend on my hair, the better.

• VersaceCrazyVersaceCrazy Posts: 662Registered Users
    Recently, I let a salon use a flat iron on my hair. Never having done this before I had no idea what to expect. What I had later was damage so severe that there was no recourse but to cut it incrediably short. I had fish hook split ends, burned and breakage in other areas..it was a mess. I was told by the salon that I should of known my type of hair couldnt handle such intense styling and they offered a deep conditioning treatment..what ended up was me going to another salon and having them cut it so short its nearly into a pixie style. I barely have enough length to see the natural curl anymore. I know now its a matter of letting it simply grow out but are there products to use to keep it conditioned and soft while its growing out?. I dont buy anything online so I need ideas of things I can find locally. Really any advice would be welcomed right about now.

Are you kidding me?

No, they're the "stylists"..they SHOULD'VE known what would be best for your hair after looking at it. This is exactly why I don't like giving beauticians the ok to do whatever they want to do to my hair. Those days are long gone.

Sorry this happened to you. I'm sure that if you take good care of it it will grow back in no time.
    http://members.fotki.com/Versacecrazy/

CURL JUNKIE ZOMBIE !!!:tshirt:
  • VisionaryTressVisionaryTress Posts: 4Registered Users
    I am so sorry to hear that something like that has happened to you . Unfortunately in the beauty industry there are many stylists out there that are mis informed and or do not have the proper experience in order to deal with different hair types . ( ie: A Person with straight hair being horrible in dealing with a client that has any curl formation in their hair ) I am a licensed cosmetologist that has been in the industry for many years . I do have naturally curly hair , with having some of the same experiences as many on this board have experienced , i strive on being able to provide accurate professional information to any client of mine or any other person that has issues dealing with their hair types . One question that I do have is , Did the stylist put anything on your hair prior to using a flat iron on your hair ???? Did she section your hair to small manageable sections and apply a heat barrier spray or serum or any other product to your hair ?? If you answered no to any of these questions , you probably had a lazy and or uneducated stylist . I have encountered many clients that have naturally curly and or wavy hair that have been misinformed in the past as to how to properly care for and or prepare their hair for such a high heat hot tool .

What you can do now is try and be as gentle as you possibly can with your hair , please try and stay away from any chemical service . ( Try and avoid any coloring service or highlighting service )

And please remember these basic fundamentals on caring for your hair .

Shampoo your hair twice , and apply conditioner ONCE . from Ends toward scalp , unless you have a scalp condition you should not be putting any conditioner directly on the scalp . If anything , Take the hair from the ends and gently massage it towards the scalp .

AND Before you apply the shampoo to your scalp , please do the following . Put some shampoo on your hand and rub it in-between both your hands a couple of times , it should then turn white . The Shampoo is now READY to be applied to your hair , you always want to prep the shampoo first by starting to break in down in your hands.

The first shampoo breaks down any product or oils that you have built up on your hair .
    The Second shampoo washes it clean from the hair strand . FEEL your hair , you should be able to tell if there is any residue remaining on your hair . (One sure fire way to tell if you have adequately cleaned your hair is if by the 2nd shampoo your hair suds immediately .
    Think of bug fluffy white suds like in a bubble bath being sloughed around in your hair . Now thats clean! :)

And of course , apply your conditioner ... The reason why I am starting with the basics of just washing your hair is because if you do NOT adequately wash your hair , ANY product that you put on your hair to assist in its repair is just being caked on top of layers of conditioners and anything else that has not been washed clean from your hair .

So think of it like this .... You want your hair nice and clean to apply the conditioner , deep conditioner or any other treatment that you are opting for so that it can actually penetrate the hair shaft and get to work.

So before you spend an arm and a leg for any treatment , start with the basics . And I can assure you , you will yield much more promising results :)

If you have any questions feel free to pm me :)
  • LISA LISALISA LISA Posts: 566Registered Users
    I recently had a bad chop myself. I trusted a stylist's suggestion to cut layers into my waist length curls. I came away with BSL noticeably choppy, cliff-like layers. My head looks like a jelly fish.

Devastated, I searched the web for a way to grow out faster so I could at least even out the layers. I found www.hairformula37.com. After reading the reviews I ordered a one month supply.

I've been using it for about 3 weeks now (they say to use it for two full months before growth rate DOUBLES!) I figured 12 inches in 12 months sounds pretty good to me!

I'll post a review after a see some real results (normal growth so far) but I thought suggesting it might give you some hope as it has done for me!

Good luck!
    Big Chop from hip - 5/2014
    Enjoying the journey to APL or BSL!
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75884&dateline=1412004981

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file