Cellophanes

VersaceCrazyVersaceCrazy Posts: 662Registered Users
Who here has had experience with coloring your hair with this?

I've heard that the Sebastian brand cellophane was good. Does anyone know of the ingredients in cellophanes and most importantly if it's damaging to curly hair?

Thanks!
http://members.fotki.com/Versacecrazy/

CURL JUNKIE ZOMBIE !!!:tshirt:

Comments

• greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm curious about that too. I used the original Celophanes back in the '90s and though I liked it a lot, I was pressing and flat ironing my hair at the time.

I did a search for the ingredients and found this on another site:

"Ingredients: WATER (AQUA), DIMETHICONE COPOLYOL, PHENOXYETHANOL, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, XANTHAN GUM, HAIR KERATIN AMINO ACIDS, SODIUM CHLORIDE, HYDROXYETHYCELLULOSE, TRISODIUM EDTA, METHYLPARABEN, CITRIC ACID, BENZOPHENONE-4. MAY CONTAIN+/- : D&C GREEN NO. 5 (CI 61570), FD&C BLUE NO.1 (CI 42090), D&C ORANGE NO. 4 (CI 15510), D&C RED NO. 33 (CI 17200), D&C YELLOW NO. 10 (CI 47005), EXT. D&C VIOLET NO. 2 (CI 60730), FD&C RED NO. 40 (CI 16035), FD&C YELLOW NO. 5 (CI 19140)"

(sorry for the all caps, that's how it was listed)

I have used hair color rinses with similar ingredients while curly and my hair was fine - I still want to hear from others about Sebastian.
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • VersaceCrazyVersaceCrazy Posts: 662Registered Users
    Me too! And I want to know where to find the cellophanes. I've been told that the Sebastian brand can only be purchased by a licensed stylist from certain places and that the other brands can be found in beauty supply stores, but I've searched and the one's I've gone into didn't have any cellophanes... Sally's Beauty Supply being one of them.

So where do you get them if you want to do it yourself? I know you can also go to a salon and get it professionally done.

http://members.fotki.com/Versacecrazy/

CURL JUNKIE ZOMBIE !!!:tshirt:
    In the past ('90s) there was a few local salon/retail beauty supply stores that had them. This was back in the Bay Area. Over the past several years, I've seen it on eBay. I searched recently and saw a ton of sellers with it. HTH
    My Fotki!
    004-vi.jpg
  • ReekyReeky Posts: 1,323Registered Users
    im a lil late.. but i consider "cellophanes" to be semi-permanent rinses..
    I used to do them every two weeks, they do not harm your hair (or at least never harmed mine or anyone I know lol). There is no peroxide or any drying lifting agents in it, it just coats your hair.. kind of like henna.
    Actually they helped protect when i was heat styling regularly.

& especially if your hair is colored, its great for use in between touch ups! Like if your color fades, or if you want to go darker.. its better than dying it.

Ive only used Sebastian Cellophanes once, too expensive.. I regularly used Adore brand and tried Kiss brand a couple of times, but it stained my scalp & would not come off I couldnt get jiggy with it.

Clairol has one designed to cover greys that does a GREAT job, works as good as dye.. idk what they put in it but theres no ammonia or peroxide.. its apart of their beautiful collection.
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
    I was able to find mine on eBay since I'm not able to find it locally. I will try it tomorrow for the first time on natural hair and I will update when I'm done!

When I'm done with the tube, I will try the Clairol Beautiful Collection...
    My Fotki!
    004-vi.jpg
    Update: So I took the plunge that did my cellophane treatment Sunday night. :tongue5:

I used the RED RED color and I forgot just how messy coloring hair is. I'm reminded why people prefer to pay someone else to do it - even simple color jobs like this.

After shampooing and drying my hair to about 75% (air and with a cool hair dryer), I added the cellophane in sections and put a plastic cap on. I dont have a hooded dryer to add heat with so I used my hand dryer instead and heated up my hair one section at a time - my arms were tired when I was done! I think I left it on for a total of 30 minutes including cooling time.

I washed and condition and did about six bantu knots for the night.

In terms of the color, I do notice the red, in areas of my hair that's naturally sun highlighted (much lighter than the photo suggests since I was dying my hair blue/black at the time). The red is more like a dark rust red, rather than a vibrant red that I was looking for in those areas. I haven't washed my hair since, but I will use Yes to Cucumbers shampoo for color treated hair tonight after the gym to see how it will do. I know a lot of the color will drain out because my hair has been leaking a little color every night when I retwist my hair.

In terms of shine, its there!

I'm still not sure if its worth the money (even on eBay), but time will tell...
    My Fotki!
    004-vi.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file