About to do first time with Henna...

nikkyd_84nikkyd_84 Posts: 54Registered Users
I am about to colour my hair with henna for the first time.

I have everything ready and I have been reading the Henna for Hair PDF...

I just wanted to ask a couple of questions before I take the plunge...( I need to let it sit overnight anyway, so I have a bit of time to get all the info I need before I do it)

1 - How much will I need for APL medium/thick hair? I bought just one packet which is 100g... but on the henna for hair pdf it said I will need about 400g. Is that really right? or can I get away with using less? (its going to get pretty expensive if i have to buy 4 packs!)

2 - How long should I actually leave it on for? I don't really fancy leaving it on over night. Are we talking a couple of hours?

3 - Any recommendations for what I should do with my hair after washing it out? I've read you should deep condition... will an evoo treatment help too?

Thanks in advance :)
3a/bii hair... medium texture, medium porosity.

Lo-Poo= Sukin - once a week
Co-wash=
Treseme naturals conditioner
Conditioner = Tigi Bed Head Moisture Maniac
Curl Cream = NAK Kurls styling creme
Styling Product = Joico Joiwhip mousse

Loving plopping, super soaking and pixicurl diffusing at the mo.

Experimenting with Aloe Vera Gel (looving it) Coconut oil and KY

After years of straightening... I am ditching the straighteners and embracing the curl!

Comments

• nikkyd_84nikkyd_84 Posts: 54Registered Users
    Ahh I'm getting really confused the more I read about henna.

What should I mix with the henna to get the desired results? I was going to use lemon juice- even bought some!, and then everyone is saying don't do that as it will irritate your head too much!

I've read other people putting green tea and honey in, or ACV.. I dont know which one to do! I have dark brown hair and want it as read as possible.

Confused!

Co-wash=

After years of straightening... I am ditching the straighteners and embracing the curl!
  • EffieEffie Posts: 1Registered Users
    Ah, at last- a topic I can help with!

1) I'm a bit new to the hair-lingo, so I don't know what APL means- but my hair is just above my waist and thinnish-medium in thickness, and when I hennaed I used 300g and had a bit leftover.

2) The length of time you leave it on depends on how dark you want it. I usually leave mine on for about 3-4 hours, but my natural hair color is sort of a medium light brown. For darker hair, you'll probably need to leave it on for longer. I'd recommend doing a strand test to see what color you end up with after various lengths of time.

3) From what I've read, people use the deep conditioner if the lemon juice dries them out. I've also read that you shouldn't use shampoo for 24 hours afterwards, or the color may fade a bit.

4) I've hennaed my hair with lemon juice several times, and despite my sensitive skin I never had any irritation or dryness problems. I've heard that any kind of acidic juice works as a base, and orange juice and apple juice are supposedly less harsh- although I've never tried either of them personally.

I think the hennaforhair site actually has a forum, so you could try them too and see if they have any sage wisdom for you ;)

Good luck!
  • nikkyd_84nikkyd_84 Posts: 54Registered Users
    Thanks for the reply Effie :) I really appreciate the help.

In the end last night I made my henna up with green tea, left it for about an hour (I was dye testing, and it was pretty strong at this point) then I mixed in honey, and enlisted my SO to slop it on my head.

What a mess that stuff makes, I have no idea how anyone can apply it themselves!

Getting it out was such a pain! Luckily the super powerful massage function on my shower head got it out after ages of trying with no success.

I went to bed with Tigi MM on my head, and washed it out this morning... My curls are AMAZING.
    The colour is beautiful, and I have the softest shiniest curls ever. I have attached pics below.
    I am definitely doing henna from now on!
    I am converted!

DSC02095.JPG

DSC02111.JPG

Co-wash=

• MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    lately my FAVORITE thing to mix it in with is conditioner. It seems to counteract some of the drying aspects of the henna, AND makes it easier to get it out. I usually mix with water initially until it's that "mashed potatoes" texture and let it sit for about an hour and then I'll mix in enough conditioner so it's more like pudding, and put it on. I only leave it on for about an hour because my hair's naturally pretty light and I don't wanna end up with Ronald McDonald hair :P But the conditioner really helps with removing it...
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • IbCurlEIbCurlE Posts: 47Registered Users
    MimsTX wrote: »
    lately my FAVORITE thing to mix it in with is conditioner. It seems to counteract some of the drying aspects of the henna, AND makes it easier to get it out. I usually mix with water initially until it's that "mashed potatoes" texture and let it sit for about an hour and then I'll mix in enough conditioner so it's more like pudding, and put it on. I only leave it on for about an hour because my hair's naturally pretty light and I don't wanna end up with Ronald McDonald hair :P But the conditioner really helps with removing it...

MimsTX,

When you mix in the conditioner, you do it an hour before application? I mixed henna w/ apple juice & it's been in the fridge overnight. I read this string & am concerned about getting the henna out.

If I add the conditioner an hour before application, it will be easier?

Thanks.
    :wav:
    Last relaxer/texturizer: September 2009

Chop: July 20, 2010 :salut:

Hair type: 4a/fine/normal porous but I still don't know what I'm doing so I look like :happy5:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file