Help. I am desperate for your CURL knowledge

DESERTGIRLDESERTGIRL Posts: 37Registered Users
I have only gone CG for a few weeks now after a lifetime of frizz. Still learning and unfortunately live in the middle of nowhere on a community in the NT. Alice Springs is 5 hours drive away and the only opportunity to buy products (including ingredients for home made recipes). Alice has a Priceline, Woolworths and a Coles. What can I get in the way of product? I thought I should go directly to mass of curl knowledge - yourselves. Everything I am reading about from the states sounds great however there is no way I am going to find it in the middle of nowhere. Help me curly girls you are my only hope. Desertgirl
3b/3c
porosity - normal
density - varied mostly thickish
(I think????)
Type = Mostly 3C (with a hint of 3B and 4A)
Porosoity/Mid Texture/Medium-Thick Length/ BSL
Dislike/ Humidity, Shampoo, Brushes
Love/ Honey, Air Drying, Plopping
Cursed by FRIZZ/(Surface, In-The-Curls, Dry, Spider Weby,Crimped,Poofball & General Frizz)
Location/ Central Australia

Comments

• FeralcurlsFeralcurls Posts: 408Registered Users
    Yikes, that is tricky. You can get products at all those places you mentioned. How about mail order? Would that be better for you?

If you have some olive oil in the pantry, that makes a good treatment. How about growing your own aloe vera?
  • curlywurlygurlycurlywurlygurly Posts: 1,180Registered Users
    firstly.. cute dogs in ur avatar!

Like feral curls said tricky. I would say it might be worth giving those places (well at least priceline) and double check what ranges they are stocking, especially if you're intending on making a special trip. You may even be able to organise them to send you products?? not sure.

Mail order idea sounds reasonable... as long as they are packaged well.

bi-carb soda you can mix with your conditioner for a scalp scrub *warning* it can be quiet drying but is a decent deep clean, which is readily assessable.

I'm not sure what else to suggest.
    Have you checked out the really long hair care product thread in here?
    2 something Australian :toothy4:

http://public.fotki.com/curlywurlygurly/
    pw:aussie

Aiming to grow hair to waist from buzz cut - slowly but surely.
  • DESERTGIRLDESERTGIRL Posts: 37Registered Users
    Cheers. FeralCurls and Curlywurlygurly you are both legends. Sorry for the delay had to duck down to the community store to check out their wares.Heaps of Bicarb, am going to give it a go and even managed to get my hands on an advocado (at Tokyo airport prices), they are even going to order me in some honey! Have olive oil at home. Going to try a few home recipes. Spoke to the 12 year olds at Priceline. They barely new the difference between shampoo and conditioner let alone cones ect. No they do not do mail order. My plan is now to come up with a list of items so that the next time someone actually goes to a real town/city I can buy up big. Can only get Pears conditioner at the shop (for straight hair!), very depressing! Indigenous mob are going to take me out this afternoon, apparently there is some wild aloe vera about a km out. Excuse the ignorance butwhat the hell am I going to do with it? Curlywurlygurly - where do I find the "really long hair care product thread"? Thanks again may your curls clump, shine and do as you obey forevermore - Desertgirl
    Cursed by FRIZZ/(Surface, In-The-Curls, Dry, Spider Weby,Crimped,Poofball & General Frizz)
    DESERTGIRL wrote: »
    Cheers. FeralCurls and Curlywurlygurly you are both legends. Sorry for the delay had to duck down to the community store to check out their wares.Heaps of Bicarb, am going to give it a go and even managed to get my hands on an advocado (at Tokyo airport prices), they are even going to order me in some honey! Have olive oil at home. Going to try a few home recipes. Spoke to the 12 year olds at Priceline. They barely new the difference between shampoo and conditioner let alone cones ect. No they do not do mail order. My plan is now to come up with a list of items so that the next time someone actually goes to a real town/city I can buy up big. Can only get Pears conditioner at the shop (for straight hair!), very depressing! Indigenous mob are going to take me out this afternoon, apparently there is some wild aloe vera about a km out. Excuse the ignorance butwhat the hell am I going to do with it? Curlywurlygurly - where do I find the "really long hair care product thread"? Thanks again may your curls clump, shine and do as you obey forevermore - Desertgirl

Ok firstly... you may be in luck - pears conditioners can be great (and cheap) co-washes. I found oily hair one good when I started out to help my hair adjust to less stripping. I've also used the moisturizing one.

AVG (aloe vera gel) can be used as gel. Personally it makes me frizz and go crunchy, but people who rave about it say it minimizes frizz and leave hair soft. Your best to go with as close to 100% as u can get. form the plant would be great, other wise try Fruit of the Earth at priceline or some supermarkets. clear bottle blue lid and has black and white writing and an american flag on it. comes in so many sizes.

Ok sorry.. I was having a 'blank' moment, couldn't remember the title... having too many of those lately. the long thread I mentioned is this one
    it's ramble about products we've found results etc etc.

• FeralcurlsFeralcurls Posts: 408Registered Users
    Not mail order from Priceline, mail order from CG places!

Try here - http://www.aubrey-organics.com.au/ for shampoos and conditioners

Try here for shampoo bars - http://www.beebeauty.com/hair-care/

Next time you go to the shops look for Garnier 24 hour gel, give that a try as a styling product.

Brown sugar makes a good scalp scrub too.

Do the Indigenous people use any special plants to wash their hair?
  • DESERTGIRLDESERTGIRL Posts: 37Registered Users
    Thanks again. Now I have to study up on the threads supplied by you both. The ladies on community have fantastic hair and very soft. Fantastic shine. Rarely straight. Leave it with me. Got some of the Bush Aloe. They do not use it on their hair though. Laughed hysterically actually. Looked like regular AVG however thinner, darker with red parts at the base. Smells like the regular stuff. Will give it a go by the weekend. Will also give me an opportunity to read all the valuable bits and peices you have passed on. Cheers again Desertgirl
    you're more then welcome. Would love to see how you go.

• Curls&AgapeCurls&Agape Posts: 52Registered Users
    I hear priceline sells the Pears conditioner range. Check the label but ive heard its cone free. It is VERY cheap so score for you!

Also, its worth a look at any coconut rich products. Priceline used to sell one that was like, 70% coconut and a few other ingredients. Again, check labels.

Can you order anything online or dont you have a postal address? ebay and curlmart have plenty of product.

If your local coles or woolies sells a big range, they MIGHT have an organic range you could check the ingredients of? Alchemy is a popular one at health stores...actually, you have a chemist out there right? your chemist will probably stock natural conditioners because some people are allergic to strong conditioners, and may also have the coconut stuff.

styling gels wont be hard to find. It just have to be clear, silicone free and contain PVP and something else, just refer to other forums or the Curly Girl book.

there are SO many home remedies you can use for deep treatments, second day hair and shampoo alternatives that really, all you need to find, is a cone free conditioner and a cone free clear gel.

happy hunting!

Invest in the curly girl book. it has heaps of home remedies in it. All i do instead of shampoo is mix one tablespoon of brown sugar with my regular cone free conditioner and exfoliate the scalp with that.
    you can get the curly girl book cheap with free shipping from www.thebookdepository.com for $14. worth the small investment for an ever-available reference. You can take the book to the shop and use it to help you read labels and all that.

hope this helps!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file