CurlTalk

Coconut oil lovers

murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
Is there anything that can compare to the amazing, greatest, most wonderful, coconut oil?

I'm just curious because I'm trying to switch stuff up.

See what I noticed is if I DON'T put coconut oil in my hair I guess, the humidity stabs my hair to death, and then my hair looks very dry. but with coconut oil, my hair doesn't lose shape and it looks moist.

:dontknow:
tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg

Comments

• jenny curljenny curl Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    When and how do you apply your coconut oil? I use coconut and jojoba oil with the same results.
    3b/c :: Fine :: Porous

I:love5: My Hair
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    wash do my thing, then I put in leave in, and coconut oil then gel...or I put in gel then coconut oil, really in any order my hair will turn out the same.
  • ReekyReeky Posts: 1,323Registered Users
    nope, coconut oil is the shizz.
    & I mean, us curlies tend to want to switch things up in search of something that works better when what weve got is just fine (im trying to stop myself from doing this)
    The only thing id switch is because of the cost.. but coconut oil is fairly affordable compared to other products.

Id stick to it, if you want to be fancy.. buy some Vatika oil or Hairvedas version? Personally, if i had to get rid of all my oils and keep one it would be coconut so that says alot LoL
    even though im loving castor as well.. but, it serves a different purpose.. you get it lol
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
  • marinacurlzmarinacurlz Posts: 1,720Registered Users
    hmm, I'm not having the best of luck with it myself. Not sure if it's because it is in fact an oil or not. My hair likes the Suave tropical coconut only, and so I figured it'd love the coconut oil....not really feeling it. ?????
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FTLGuerrero%2F" class="Popup

password: curly

3B w/3A underneath

Medium texture
    Average porosity

Crazy-picky hair; likes some oils and proteins, but not others, can tolerate some glycerin.

Current products-
    Co-wash: Suave/Vo5/TJ Refresh
    Rinse out & Leave in: Suave Tropical Coconut/Garnier Triple Nutrition
    Gel: Herbal Essences Set Me Up/Aussie Tizz No Frizz
  • greekgoddessgreekgoddess Posts: 459Registered Users
    I tend to use the coconut oil before I do my co-wash, wash, etc..and really love it. I have never used it after as part of my styling products, but I am curious to try this. I will have to next time I co-wash my hair.
    3a/3b & fine
    CG since 3/2010
    Low sulphate shampoo once a week:
    Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo

Rinse Out Conditioner - used only when needed - Elucence Moisture Benefits, & KCKT

Leave-in - used only when needed - KCKT

Co-wash- Elucence Moisture Benefits Conditioner (about 1-2 a week).

Stylers: KCKT, Eco-Styler Gel, AG:Recoil, FSG.

Styling: Raking and smoothing product throughout hair and then the Super Soaker Method without the Denman.
  • jenny curljenny curl Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    hmm, I'm not having the best of luck with it myself. Not sure if it's because it is in fact an oil or not. My hair likes the Suave tropical coconut only, and so I figured it'd love the coconut oil....not really feeling it. ?????

How are you applying it?
    3b/c :: Fine :: Porous

I:love5: My Hair
  • marinacurlzmarinacurlz Posts: 1,720Registered Users
    So far I have tried putting some in before a co-wash, using as a leave in under gel, and to sotc....not all at once though! My hair is so dry I really want it to work :)
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FTLGuerrero%2F" class="Popup

password: curly

3B w/3A underneath

Medium texture
    Average porosity

Crazy-picky hair; likes some oils and proteins, but not others, can tolerate some glycerin.

Current products-
    Co-wash: Suave/Vo5/TJ Refresh
    Rinse out & Leave in: Suave Tropical Coconut/Garnier Triple Nutrition
    Gel: Herbal Essences Set Me Up/Aussie Tizz No Frizz
  • HannahsMomHannahsMom Posts: 39Registered Users
    I have a stupid question. I was at the health/natural store today & asked about the coconut oil, but it did not look liquidy like I thought it would. It looked like Crisco - solid. Is that the kind you all use & if so how exactly do you use it? I ended up getting jojoba oil instead...since it looked like I thought it should! *lol*
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    Coconut oil is solid at room temperature. So, yep, that is the stuff.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpedaheh.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
    you put it in your hands and it melts...its almost like magic...almost.
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    Be careful. I went on a coconut jag last summer and was soooo happy for a while... then i had a bad reaction.... apparently you can overdo it... my hair got strawlike from it.....
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
    hmm I've been using it for about......8 months now, nothing yet. I do have like dandruff but I've always had issues with dandruff before cg, and my mom has it too.
  • angel29ishangel29ish Posts: 800Registered Users
    rudeechick wrote: »
    Be careful. I went on a coconut jag last summer and was soooo happy for a while... then i had a bad reaction.... apparently you can overdo it... my hair got strawlike from it.....

That's interesting rudee. I haven't had any issues with coconut oil, but recently I was reading some information about coconut oil on a natural product making site. They said that coconut oil used in large amounts can cause drying. They didn't say why so I'm left wondering. :scratch: Is that what happened to you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3B, fine, low/normal porosity
    CG - July 2009
    CO/RO/Trt.-Suave, BCB, Tigi OH & MM, EO, CJRehab, SG, DF & CF, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Darcy's, K-Pak, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin, JCWDT, CurlQ
    LI-GDLI, Abba PGC, CJRehab, CF,SG & BCLI, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin
    Styler-FSG, Re:coil, CJCCCC lite & CIAB, Komaza CCP & CS, DB, BRHG, Joiwhip/gel, Ecostyler, Boots, SS, Gel-les'c, DMMCG, KCSS
    Too many others to list!
    angel29ish wrote: »

That's interesting rudee. I haven't had any issues with coconut oil, but recently I was reading some information about coconut oil on a natural product making site. They said that coconut oil used in large amounts can cause drying. They didn't say why so I'm left wondering. :scratch: Is that what happened to you?

That is exactly what happened. I had been using it mixed in with my weekly DT for over a year with no prob. Then I found a daily condish with it and LOVED it... til it stopped loving me:( my hair turned to straight straw.:(
    My Photobucket Album
  • angel29ishangel29ish Posts: 800Registered Users
    angel29ish wrote: »

That is exactly what happened. I had been using it mixed in with my weekly DT for over a year with no prob. Then I found a daily condish with it and LOVED it... til it stopped loving me:( my hair turned to straight straw.:(

That's definitely something to watch for! Thanks for the heads up. :icon_smile:

Oh, I also wanted to mention another interesting thing the site said about Coconut oil. The reason it's used in soaps is because it has a detergent like property. Maybe that is what can make it harsh? I'm wondering if that refers to Cocamidopropyl betaine which is derived from coconut oil. Hmmm...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3B, fine, low/normal porosity
    CG - July 2009
    CO/RO/Trt.-Suave, BCB, Tigi OH & MM, EO, CJRehab, SG, DF & CF, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Darcy's, K-Pak, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin, JCWDT, CurlQ
    LI-GDLI, Abba PGC, CJRehab, CF,SG & BCLI, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin
    Styler-FSG, Re:coil, CJCCCC lite & CIAB, Komaza CCP & CS, DB, BRHG, Joiwhip/gel, Ecostyler, Boots, SS, Gel-les'c, DMMCG, KCSS
    Too many others to list!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rudeechick viewpost.gif Quote:
    Originally Posted by angel29ish viewpost.gif Quote:
    Originally Posted by rudeechick viewpost.gif Be careful. I went on a coconut jag last summer and was soooo happy for a while... then i had a bad reaction.... apparently you can overdo it... my hair got strawlike from it.....

That is exactly what happened. I had been using it mixed in with my weekly DT for over a year with no prob. Then I found a daily condish with it and LOVED it... til it stopped loving me:sad: my hair turned to straight straw.:sad:

That's definitely something to watch for! Thanks for the heads up. :icon_smile:

Oh, I also wanted to mention another interesting thing the site said about Coconut oil. The reason it's used in soaps is because it has a detergent like property. Maybe that is what can make it harsh? I'm wondering if that refers to Cocamidopropyl betaine which is derived from coconut oil. Hmmm...
    Do you think the straw reaction from the coconut oil was caused by over conditioning or some other issue with the coconut oil? I ask because I use tons of coconut oil, but have dry hair that can't be over conditioned.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpedaheh.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
    Do you think the straw reaction from the coconut oil was caused by over conditioning or some other issue with the coconut oil? I ask because I use tons of coconut oil, but have dry hair that can't be over conditioned.

I remember when rudee had this problem and opera curls did too. We didn't really get to the bottom of it. We theorized that because Coconut can help with protein retention that maybe that's what caused the straw-like reaction. Never had it happen to me, but I like to switch stuff up all the time. Whenever I use anything coconut, it's usually my best hair days :)

turtles-I've read that babasu can be similar to coconut oil but it doesn't smell as yummy.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
    DEL2C wrote: »

I remember when rudee had this problem and opera curls did too. We didn't really get to the bottom of it. We theorized that because Coconut can help with protein retention that maybe that's what caused the straw-like reaction. Never had it happen to me, but I like to switch stuff up all the time. Whenever I use anything coconut, it's usually my best hair days :)

turtles-I've read that babasu can be similar to coconut oil but it doesn't smell as yummy.

I think its great in moderation.
    My Photobucket Album
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Posts: 1,834Registered Users
    Coconut oil is one of the oils that penetrates, and I believe although it does not have protein, it protects against protein loss-good for some, but can have a drying effect for others....maybe this is what happened over time? Or I'm just totally wrong....:tongue1:
  • OnyxK.OnyxK. Posts: 157Registered Users
    it is awesome.especially for my hair treatments
    4a/b-whatever! with a twa
    hair properties: fine,porous,dense
    :blob7: SheaMoisture Coconut hibiscus Line:blob7:
  • AngularScienceAngularScience Posts: 844Registered Users
    Nothing will replace my coconut oil. I've tried olive oil and castor oil, and while they were good, they just didn't absorb as well as coconut oil.

I do, however, like Hollywood Beauty's Carrot Creme as an alternative on some days. I think it's good to switch it up because the cream contains proteins and the coconut oil preserves them in my hair. It stays pretty balanced this way.

I think I'm going to try herb infusions in my coconut oil just for fun.
  • CurlyMomof3CurlyMomof3 Posts: 69Registered Users
    How much do you put in? I am intrigued...
    3b curly with some 3c thrown in at the crown. Fine, high porosity, dense curls styled in a curly bob,

Last Japanese TR in March 2008. BC in July 2010 and now 100% natural. :afro:

CG since September 2010.

Currently co-washing with Suave Naturals or V05 Moisture milks, conditioning with Triple Condition, and styling with LALSG. That's it!
  • wavyhavawavyhava Posts: 32Registered Users
    I tried coconut oil as a treatment once and I think I might have over done the amount. How much do you all normally use?
    2B/medium texture/high porosity.
  • Marci PieMarci Pie Posts: 622Registered Users
    I use a little coconut oil to scrunch out my hair before diffusing. I have to be careful because I tend to be heavy handed and have over done it. I basically use enough to cover my hands when it is melted and about 1/2 tbsp when it is solid.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo
    Co-wash: Suave, Vo5, HE, Aussie Moist
    Deep Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's)
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Coconut Oil, Almond Oil, Jojoba Oil.
    Methods: Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.
    I use about 1 scant teaspoon (melted) mixed into my DT
    My Photobucket Album
  • curlicious3bcurlicious3b Posts: 458Registered Users
    Hmm.. I've been looking to try something to seal in moisture because my hair is very dry.. does coconut oil mix well with product? I don't want the white goopies.
    3c
  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    As long as you don't see any white flakes on your hands once you emulsify the coconut oil you shouldn't get hair snotties at all. If your hair is still damp you *might* see some whiteness, oh well that depends on how you're styling your hair. Though when your hair dries it goes away.

I twisted mine tonight and sealed with coconut oil but my hair is just shiny right now.
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • Accidental CurlsAccidental Curls Posts: 67Registered Users
    I think I will be interested in trying it especially for the winter. Only thing is I have some questions. Is coconut oil used as a DT or is it like a moisturizer for the hair? Silly question but can you just co-wash or use a non-sulphate shampoo to wash coconut oil out or do you need something else?
    Hair pattern:Wavy
    Texture: mainly coarse hair with some medium strands
    Porosity: Normal and High porosity
    Re-CGed (modified) April 2011
    Cowash: Suave Ocean Breeze
    Rinse Out: GF's Triple conditioner
    Other products: HEBE and grapeseed oil
    Occasional Shampoo: Giovanni tea tree triple treat shampoo
    I think I will be interested in trying it especially for the winter. Only thing is I have some questions. Is coconut oil used as a DT or is it like a moisturizer for the hair? Silly question but can you just co-wash or use a non-sulphate shampoo to wash coconut oil out or do you need something else?
    It depends. I can cowash it out, others have problems getting it out of their hair. If you plan to use it as a prewash treatment, I'd suggest starting with a short time (10 minutes) to see if it cowashes out of your hair. If that works, you can try longer times. I love my overnight coconut oil treatments.
    The blog The Natural Haven has tons of information on coconut oil. Do a blog search for coconut oil.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fthenaturalhaven.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
    When I do Coconut Oil DT's they work better if I let them sit overnight. If I don't let it absorb overnight I have more trouble washing it out. I need to use a low poo to get it washed out the next morning, co washing didn't work for me.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.