Portland, Oregon salon

Cleo68Cleo68 Posts: 14Registered Users
Hello all,

I have been searching for a DevaCurl hair cut in Portland and thought I found one at Kiss Kiss Salon, but the stylist never showed up for our appointment! Now I'm looking for another salon and I'm having a difficult time finding a salon that receives consistently positive reviews - I guess I could give Kiss Kiss another try, but I'm not sure I want to do that; not only didn't the stylist show but no one has returned my call.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for the Portland area?

Best Guess:3b curls, fine to medium, normal porosity, normal elasticity, medium to high density.

Full CG Routine: No Poo Mondays, co-wash as needed. Using DevaCare line and loving it. One conditioner, AnGel, Set it Free

Au natural about five weeks and counting...

Comments

• emgirlemgirl Posts: 29Registered Users
    Darn! I was looking forward to your report. I rely on Mark at Flux Salon but I suspect he's not taking new clients. You could try, though. Even if he is taking new clients his available appts are months out. But he's very good. Isn't Deva trained, but knows curly hair, cuts it dry, never gives me a disaster cut.

Good luck!
    CG since July 2008, but in the last year, sometimes I've lo-poo'd
    Co wash - AOHR, KCKT
    Deep Treatment - olive oil
    Leave in - AOHR, Alba Botanical Leave in condish
    Style - Giovanni LA Natural styling gel, BRHG, Alba Botanical Strong Hold Style Hair Gel
    On the back burner: AOMM, AOB5DesignGel, MGA Scalp Rescue Gel
  • Cleo68Cleo68 Posts: 14Registered Users
    Hi Emgirl,

My sister and I had our first curly girl cuts at Kiss Kiss Salon today.

Our original appointment was a bust because the stylist didn't show. I was finally able to reach her and she offered to cut our hair for free. We rescheduled with her and I even sent a friend's daughter to see her before our appointments. I was disappointed that she charged us the entire amount. While free would have been asking a lot I think a discounted price would have been nice considering the hassle it is for my sister to make arrangements to come down here (she has MS and can't drive) and the fact that I sent her another new client.

That said, the cuts were fine. While it wasn't a miraculous change both my sister and myself really like our cuts. I have nice boticelli curls on top and in back but the sides are just kinda wavy and she fixed that - did some snipping that took care of some stray straight pieces and showed me how to use clips correctly. My sister has corkscrew hair so her biggest issue is frizz, and she had some great tricks for that.

We're going to try Sarah next time. She's the manager and has also trained with Lorraine Massey. I'll keep Mark in mind if Sarah doesn't work out, it's hard to find well trained stylists.

Where is Flux located?

In curly solidarity,
    Cleo
    Best Guess:3b curls, fine to medium, normal porosity, normal elasticity, medium to high density.

Full CG Routine: No Poo Mondays, co-wash as needed. Using DevaCare line and loving it. One conditioner, AnGel, Set it Free

Au natural about five weeks and counting...
  • ariesdeacariesdeac Posts: 35Registered Users
    I quit going to my stylist of two years to see Shannon at the Parlour. This girl knows curly hair! She is passionate about cutting wavy or curly hair because she has wavy hair and has experienced the frustration of finding someone who can cut wavy or curly hair. She can look at your hair and see exactly how the curl needs to be cut in order to make it fall best. She immediately was able to figure out that because my old stylist cut my layers classically, they were chunking and making the curl look unflattering. She and I made a game plan to grow out my top layers over a few months. She's also huge on communication and wants to make sure that you understand everything she explains. There's no I'm the stylist I know best attitude.

Here's a picture of my hair right after she did it. Don't be scared if your hair is curlier. She's an expert in all kinds of curly and wavy hair.

The Parlour is a vegan salon that uses all natural hair products. The place is also super friendly and accommodating. Because of a scheduling snafu, Shannon stayed late to do my hair on that day (even though the mix up was my fault). They're super friendly and there's no cattiness or gossip that you see at a lot of salons.

I have no idea if they're Deva certified or not, but I promise you won't be disappointed.
    Hair type 2c/3a
    Silk pillowcase
    t shirt for drying hair
    Shampoo-DevaCurlNo Poo
    Conditioner-DevaCurl One Condition and MopTop Leave-It-In Conditioner
    Gel-Fuzzy Duck Anti-Frizz Gel
    Spray-DevaCurl Set it Free, MopTop Detangler & Refresher
    Second Day Hair Products-DevaCurl Set it Free, MopTop Detangler & Refresher

Katie
  • RonnieRonnie Posts: 13Registered Users
    I live in Portland too.. I looked at the salon finder thing on this site and found a few places.. Most of them in the downtown Portland area.. They do have a few reviews on the stylists.. You could check on there and see if anything strikes you..

Cheers!

Ronnie:reindeer:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file