Athlete, will no-poo really work?

Bubbly247Bubbly247 Registered Users Posts: 4
Hi everyone! I just found this site and have been obsessed with it ever since. I have just started the CG method and have some questions!

I am a college athlete with a vigorous work-out schedule so my hair is constantly sweaty and exposed to who-knows-what in the weight room (very few mats, lots of sweaty athletes!!). Will a no-poo method really eliminate any type of dirt and grime (including germs that may cause infections such as MRSA) I may pick up in those situations?

How about an organic shampoo with no-sulfates..will that thoroughly clean my hair and is that still CG approved?? I have really long hair and not totally convinced that just massaging the scalp will really remove everything from every section of my hair!

Would really appreciate any tips or advice from any other very active viewers or any advice at all from anyone else. Thanks! =)
~Modified CG Starting August 2010! ~
My Curls: Medium Texture, Normal Porosity, 3a/2c
Products: Renpure Organics Moisturizing Shampoo &Conditioner (For now!), HETT Mousse
DT: Experimenting with all the homemade recipes
Learning to Love my Curls one Twist at a Time
:flower:

Comments

• ReekyReeky Registered Users Posts: 1,323
    you could always be a modified CG like many of us.. and use shampoos occasionally with co-washing your main form of cleansing. Since you are an athlete and you may need to wash your hair more often than the average, co-washing may actually be more beneficial to you. Its a great way to cleanse and refresh often without stripping your hair.

Me personally, cowashing was not enough to get rid of my itchy scalp.. so I still shampoo twice a week, maybe just once. Sulfate free or diluted castille shampoos are just as effective at cleansing if your worried about that.

and a tip about co-washing that I did not know when I first attempted CG, to make sure you get the conditioner to "lather".. apply it to your hair as you would regularly, then dip your head back into the water quickly and then work it through. Makes a BIG difference in how clean my hair gets.
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
  • thick_n_wavythick_n_wavy Registered Users Posts: 250
    I'm not an athlete, but I work out several times a week and co-washing is fine, I've never had issues with my hair not feeling "clean." I don't know about germs, though, so I can't speak to that. Most people need to shampoo or at least low-poo some of the time...I personally like to once or twice a week and I just gauge it on how my hair feels really. But co-washing is great since you probably wash your hair very frequently and this way you won't be stripping the hair as much when you wash it.
    2c-3a. Thick density. Texture = mixture of medium and fine.

Always trying to boost my curl!

Go-to products: Pink Boots, CJSG, LALSG, Abba Pure Finish gel
    Experimenting with: CJAF, CJ CCCC, JCRR/CC, BRHG, PB Goo, Re:Coil, Komaza CHP, EcoStyler Protein
    Didn't like: HESMU, Matrix Biolage Gelee (both too goopy)

http://public.fotki.com/thicknwavy/
    Last updated: Dec. 3, 2009
  • Bubbly247Bubbly247 Registered Users Posts: 4
    Thanks for the great answers! The tip about dipping you're head back under water when co-washing was very helpful and I will be using that trick from now on =)
    Products: Renpure Organics Moisturizing Shampoo &Conditioner (For now!), HETT Mousse
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    In nursing, it's stressed that sufficient friction for sufficient time (30 seconds) is more important than the type of cleanser used for hand cleansing. Soap and water is just as helpful for hand cleansing as anti-bacterial cleansers or those which are alcohol based. We use physical barriers, like gloves, to prevent contamination, but always cleanse after doffing them.

I'd be no more concerned about effective cleansing with conditioner than with shampoo. You're more likely to have a problem from hand contact than hair. OTOH, a physical barrier mightn't be amiss. Would it be too odd to lay down a mat of your own? At the least, a towel under your head ought to be okay.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • Bubbly247Bubbly247 Registered Users Posts: 4
    Good to have a nurse's opinion about the germ factor...made me feel alot better about co-washing! I have cut-out all of the sulfates and hopefully one day i'll make the complete switch to no shampoo at all :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file