Curlisto products mini review

goobernutgoobernut Posts: 2,317Registered Users
Okay, soooOOoo I purchased some trial sizes of the curlisto stuff from the swap board, so I thought I'd throw out my thoughts about them 1. because no one really talks about them, 2. because I had such great results.

I just got a hair cut on Friday. Everytime I get my hair cut short, I have to swap around my products. My hair was shoulder length and I was loving SS. However, I have to slack off the SS CEJ when my hair is short because its "too enhancing" lol.

I used the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curlisto-Structura-Lotion-p-115.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curlisto-structura-lotion]Curlisto Structura Lotion[/buylink] and Bio Mousse Gel. Let me just say that I haven't had good luck with mousses, so I was skeptical. However, it did what I expect a mousse to do (and what none of the other mousses did). I have had the best volume ever! My hair isn't super curly, but when my hair is chin length, I don't go for enhancement because it needs to be a little looser to blend well. Yet, I would like my wurlys to stay, because I hate flat hair. I've had 2nd day hair (and volume!!!) all three times I've used it. LOVE it!

Now if I still love it when my hair is longer, I don't know, but right now, I'm gonna keep using it because I've been so happy with it.

I did use new stuff the first time I styled, so the volume might have something to do with that as well, but I've used a different conditioner every time I styled and the hair was the same.

I will say that I tried the products using the Curlisto styling method the first time, and it was waaaay too much product for my hair, it was seriously producty (still had great volume), so I supersoaked with the structura, then used the biogel mousse like I would scrunch in a gel afterward.

Okay, I wrote this post in three different settings, so forgive me if its all over the place :)

Overall impression: ME LIKEY!!!
Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.

Comments

• MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh, now I wish I'd gotten the mousse, cause I loves me volume!

I'm glad you reviewed these products favorably, as I ordered the Curlisto stuff on Avenue You for Medium Curly hair. I should have it at the end of this week and I'll post a review (mebbe pics) after I use it. I got the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curlisto-Control-I-p-113.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curlisto-control-i-gel]Control I Gel[/buylink], though, not the mousse. We'll see.

thanks, goob. Post pics! I wanna see the new cut and volume.
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • FairlyCurlyFairlyCurly Posts: 839Registered Users
    I wanted to try the Curlisto stuff soooo badly, but most of the products have soy protein. My hair despises soy protein. Dang!
    3a/3b, Fine, low porosity.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,130Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I like the Curlisto stuff as well, although for some reason the one thing I didn't like was the biogel mousse. It made my hair stiff.

I use the biocurl shampoo every time I poo. I like the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curlisto-Deep-Therapy-Masque-p-111.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curlisto-deep-therapy-masque]deep therapy masque[/buylink] because it only takes 3 minutes (Yay! I can't stand waiting around for other deep treatements to take effect) and I like [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curlisto-Structura-Lotion-p-115.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curlisto-structura-lotion]Structura Lotion[/buylink] which I sometimes use all by itself.

The biocurl shampoo is not CG but I use it because it is gentler and more moisturizing than any lo poo or no poo I have tried. The Botanical Rinse is lovely - it's like a daily conditioner and leaves my hair shiny and gives slip. I also sometimes use the tiniest bit of the Finishing Pomade to SOTC which is cone city but for fighting frizz in horrendous dewpoints nothing beats it. TINY amount!

On the rare occasions when I do a roller set, I will use (tiny amt) of the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curlisto-Unruly-Paste-p-134.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curlisto-unruly-paste]Unruly Paste[/buylink] if my hair is unruly!

All in all, I think it's an excellent product line, and it augments my HG which is Recoil.

Unfortunately, it is expensive. :mad:

ETA - most of the products got very good reviews in the product review section of curl mart.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,342Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    no cones in the products? how cg is it?

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • goobernutgoobernut Posts: 2,317Registered Users
    rbb -- I meant to add that in my first post and forgot. The shampoo has sulfates (though I've heard its very gentle). If I remember correctly the Botanical rinse has the "c" cone. I don't have an issue with that and actually like using it in the summer. As far as I remember, most of the stylers are CG. If you wanna double check, the curlisto products all have ingred on the curlisto website, as well as here at Curlmart. I think that one of the gels isn't though. I think I saw dimethicone in one of the gels.

Other thing I meant to say, the mousse does leave me a little stiff and producty feeling no-matter what. However, I am seriously willing to trade that for the volume I get. I'm on third day hair and I'm still pleased. I know that having a nicely layered cut helps with the volume, but I think I know my hair well enough by now to know to contribute some of this to the products as well -- not to mention that when the stylist styled my hair, it was flat.

I'll post pics as soon as I get the hubby to take pics of the back :) I had to go back to the stylist today to have her clean up some of the angle -- my straight bits were poking through and driving me crazy, so I had her take up the angled part a bit. I think its still a little too long, so I may hack on it myself a bit. I have to wash and style again to make sure though.

Mir -- I'm not sure that the mousse would be good for you anyway, I'm not sure you'd like the way it feels. I know you like touchable hair *winkwink* and this really isn't touchable. Also, I'm not sure how it would work on a tighter curl pattern.

However, if you do try a biogel mousse, and you're near a place that sells "circle of friends" try this Gel Mousse -- (compare ingredients)

Or wow, this, since I just googled bio gel mousse --
    http://vargashairproducts.com/order_form.htm

Whooooly caboodles, they even call one of their products [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curlisto-Structura-Lotion-p-115.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curlisto-structura-lotion]structura lotion[/buylink].

Or this product line...http://www.kidshairetc.com/

Um, or this line at target... Maxius MultiMax

this is just sad -- or this line HairLegends

Wow, I'm in shock that there are this many sellers with similar formulas. I figured out that razzamataz had similar products, but all those above -- its just unreal.
    Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.
  • KarenRB53KarenRB53 Posts: 355Registered Users
    MirCurls wrote: »

I'm glad you reviewed these products favorably, as I ordered the Curlisto stuff on Avenue You for Medium Curly hair. I should have it at the end of this week and I'll post a review (mebbe pics) after I use it. I got the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curlisto-Control-I-p-113.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curlisto-control-i-gel]Control I Gel[/buylink], though, not the mousse. We'll see.

I've read in many posts that you like "touchable hair", so I'm wondering what gel do you use? I can't use anything that makes my hair crunchy or crispy because its so fine that I can't seem to SOTC...it just gets frizzy. So I need a gel spray or gel or gellee that will give me hold and definition but won't be crunchy. Any ideas???
    3b, fine textured,thin and normal to high porosity.
    I always wonder about the knock-offs and how they perform, cause the same ingredients list is not necessarily the same ingredients FORMULA, but it interests me.

I didn't get the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curlisto-Bio-Curl-Shampoo-p-400.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curlisto-bio-curl-shampoo]Bio Curl shampoo[/buylink] cause the second ingredient is sodium laureth sulfate. That's pretty harsh and too far up the list. Woudn't mind if it was lower on the lists...I'm only mod-CG, so I'll use a lowpoo. But second ingredient to me is not lowpoo. That's all out poo.
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09

Curl Junkie Conditions!

~CJ Protein Tx

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    KarenRB53 wrote: »

I've read in many posts that you like "touchable hair", so I'm wondering what gel do you use? I can't use anything that makes my hair crunchy or crispy because its so fine that I can't seem to SOTC...it just gets frizzy. So I need a gel spray or gel or gellee that will give me hold and definition but won't be crunchy. Any ideas???

If you go through my fotki or past posts, you can see what I've tried.

I prefer medium hold gels. I avoid firm hold ones, except for use on my roots at crown for some lift. Today, I have no gel, cause I didn't add any yesterday after cleansing. I used AG FOAM after a little Pure Gentle LI by ABBA. That's it.

I got some frizz today, second day, but I still have lots of volume, which is what mousse tends to do--give volume. My hair is super soft, non-crunchy, and touchable.

To be totally frank: I have the mad jungle boogie with hubby pretty much every day,so I can't and won't have icky, untouchable hair. If I were a man, it would disgust me if my wife's hair was a helmet or sticky or a nasty hard-gelled texture. Since I like to please myself and hubby, I do try to have hair that doesn't just look good, but feels soft and natural and good. :D

So, you just need to look and try gels that give light to medium hold , meaning NOT BRHG, NOT HardJel, probably not EcoStyler (but not sure the hold level). If people say it gives hard hold and you hear about having to SOTC, skip it or dilute it at minimum.

If I have to SOTC , I tend not to use it. It's already something unsuitable for my aesthetics.

There are exceptions--if I am going to something formal or am having a portrait done or something wehre I want to make sure the elements don't have their way with my hair, I'll gel it, spray it, whatever it takes to keep it from poufing out of flopping down. But, day to day, my main concern is that I have good volume, some frizz control, and touchability.

You can refer to my siggie for what I use most.

BTW, the SS FHG gives me the slightest bit of crunch, but I don't see it on the same level as a real firm/hard hold gel. To me, it's more like a medium hold how it performs.

IN any case, if I were you, I'd wait for October or so when the Curl Junkie medium hold "mystery gel 1" I tested comes out. THAT was a primo gel that was touchable, non-crunchy and made my hair look good enough that my hairdresser asked what it was cause she wanted some. :D

Mir
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09

Curl Junkie Conditions!

~CJ Protein Tx

• KarenRB53KarenRB53 Posts: 355Registered Users
    KarenRB53 wrote: »

If you go through my fotki or past posts, you can see what I've tried.

I prefer medium hold gels. I avoid firm hold ones, except for use on my roots at crown for some lift. Today, I have no gel, cause I didn't add any yesterday after cleansing. I used AG FOAM after a little Pure Gentle LI by ABBA. That's it.

I got some frizz today, second day, but I still have lots of volume, which is what mousse tends to do--give volume. My hair is super soft, non-crunchy, and touchable.

To be totally frank: I have the mad jungle boogie with hubby pretty much every day,so I can't and won't have icky, untouchable hair. If I were a man, it would disgust me if my wife's hair was a helmet or sticky or a nasty hard-gelled texture. Since I like to please myself and hubby, I do try to have hair that doesn't just look good, but feels soft and natural and good. :D

So, you just need to look and try gels that give light to medium hold , meaning NOT BRHG, NOT HardJel, probably not EcoStyler (but not sure the hold level). If people say it gives hard hold and you hear about having to SOTC, skip it or dilute it at minimum.

If I have to SOTC , I tend not to use it. It's already something unsuitable for my aesthetics.

There are exceptions--if I am going to something formal or am having a portrait done or something wehre I want to make sure the elements don't have their way with my hair, I'll gel it, spray it, whatever it takes to keep it from poufing out of flopping down. But, day to day, my main concern is that I have good volume, some frizz control, and touchability.

You can refer to my siggie for what I use most.

BTW, the SS FHG gives me the slightest bit of crunch, but I don't see it on the same level as a real firm/hard hold gel. To me, it's more like a medium hold how it performs.

IN any case, if I were you, I'd wait for October or so when the Curl Junkie medium hold "mystery gel 1" I tested comes out. THAT was a primo gel that was touchable, non-crunchy and made my hair look good enough that my hairdresser asked what it was cause she wanted some. :D

Mir

Thanks a lot. I'm definitely going to get the "mystery gel" when it comes out. I totally agree, I like touchable, volume and frizz control.
    3b, fine textured,thin and normal to high porosity.
    I plan to do my own thread reviewing the products for my hair type later, but I did use it last night. It gave me totally non-crunchy hair. The combo of Structura and Control Gel 1 did not add oomph to my lazy curls (some of my straighter parts really stayed kinda droopy), but the touchability factor is high. I like this.

The scent dissipates and is not at all cloying.

I did love watching the effect of the UNRULY PASTE, which I added post diffusing. Curls became instantly a more defined (the equivalent effect of "chunky" texture on straight hair, I suppose). I liked that effect, but wondered if that paste would end up too heavy as the day wore on and hair lost the diffusing airiness?

NOTE: I styled and dried EXACTLY as it is on the Curlisto video (see YouTube or the Curlisto site for it), except that i used about 1/3rd of the product the model used, as my hair is nowhere near as dense as hers. Oh, and I used octopus clips instead of duckbill. But the application (by section, twisting the unruly paste into ends) and diffusing, yes, the same.

I think I can up the product I use to 2/3 of the model's use to try next time, since I did find some of my lazy curls loosened as I diffused.

Used a loose pineapple to sleep and hair looks pretty good except that my lazy underlayer of hair is definitely more stretched out than when I use stronger curling products.

That's okay...I love the softness and touchability.

The parts of the system for Medium curly hair I didn't use were the poo, rinse out, and structura spray, oh, and that shine spray at the end. But I will be using the structura spray today before I go out. I didn't buy the poo, r/o, or shine spray, so can't try those. :D I used CJ Daily Fix and Elucence Moisture rinse-out.

I did have hubby take some quick pics, but they're not uploaded. I'll prolly just c/paste this with the pics for new thread. :D
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09

Curl Junkie Conditions!

~CJ Protein Tx

• FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Posts: 2,678Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I used some of these products years ago. Curlisto was one of the first lines I tried when I found NC.COM. I wasn't a big fan. I used the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curlisto-Structura-Lotion-p-115.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curlisto-structura-lotion]Structura Lotion[/buylink] the same way many use CK (CK made me itch !!). The Control II gel was okay, but nothing special.

I didn't like the products as much I like so many others, so I never repurchased. After seeing this thread, I went looking for them ... they must have been passed alone with my latest product purge
    Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
    End of second day and after Pilates, got some frizz. I used the STructura spray before heading to the studio.

I do feel that my ends are a bit crunchy/dry. Not really too surprised as the products did not feel that moisturizing.

I haven't done deep condishes since, like, June, so I'm also being summer lazy, and that may be the problem.

Don't know if it's the structura spray that caused the dryness, though, or just the lack of moisture in the products. :-/

Hair did look great while I was exercising, though I had to pineapple it when I started sweating up a storm (it's been in the 90's here and the studio a/c can only be set to 73 or so, and I tend to need it cooler and had to use a wet, chilled towel on my neck). Curls were very bouncy and defined around face, side, stretched a bit from pineapple in the back (the hold factor is on the lesser side with Control Gel 1).
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09

Curl Junkie Conditions!

~CJ Protein Tx

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,342Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    many years ago, before nc and before lorraine's book i found and tried one of curlisto's products -- sort of a curling gel, forget the name.
    well, it definitely gave me curls, but it was soooo very drying i could never use it more than two days in a row. my daughter found the same result. i just threw it out after a time.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • robinbethsrobinbeths Posts: 171Registered Users
    Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents here. :geek:

I REALLY like Curlisto Products, well the 2 I'ved used so far, which are the Structura Lotion and the Control II Gel. I keep going back and forth between Ouidad, KCCC, CK, and Curlisto and each time I use Curlisto, I like how my hair turns out BIG time. The curls are VERY well defined, soft, and not frizzy. I am even starting to think that I like Curlisto best of ALL the products I've tried.
    Robin :wave:
    I love Jesus!
    Just learning the ropes :toothy5:
    Hairtype: 3b (me thinks) :confused:
    Well, I didn't get to upload pics, though I used Curlisto system two cleansings consecutively. I got a nasty bug on my previous laptop that pretty much made using it impossible, so since it was old anyway, I got a new one. This one's nice and zippy, but I couldn't transfer my files rom the old puter. No pics here. And I have to install my Canon's software on this one to get my pics uploaded. Dunno when my lazy butt will get around to that.

Back to Curlisto System: I find it hard to get second and impossible to get third day hair with this system, though. I just find the curls get really stretchy, especially my lazy ones in the back. And my hair feels dryish the next day.

To me, getting 2nd day (and best of all 3rd day) hair is important. I do not like to wash often.

I didn't use the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curlisto-Unruly-Paste-p-134.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curlisto-unruly-paste]unruly paste[/buylink] the second time I used it to see if that made a difference in terms of extending the life of the curls (thinking the paste maybe was too heavy for my fine hair, ya know). Didn't make a difference, other than not having the gloss and definition from the paste.

I'll try the stuff again later on. Right now, I'm on third (or is it fourth, I forget) day hair with CurlKeeper and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]Re:coil[/buylink]. I preferred my hair sans the CK and I had to add more [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]Re:coil[/buylink] yesterday which made it a bit sticky on top of all the stuff. But I don't feel as dry as I did with the Curlisto. Maybe the Fast Food is more moisturizing than the Repair Cream?
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09

Curl Junkie Conditions!

~CJ Protein Tx

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file