will coloring my hair mess things up?

CrazyCurlGirlCrazyCurlGirl Posts: 7Registered Users
I just recently decided to pick back up on the curly girl method and decided to go shampoo-less. I was wondering if i color my hair, how should i go about it? Box dye or salon? Or are there any other ways i should? I'm trying to keep my hair as healthy as possible because i want to grow it out long.

Comments

• justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just started CG in July and needed to color my hair. I looked at the box color I usually use and in the color itself there was just 1 offender so I bought what I always get. I did a PT before and then colored after my hair was dry.

After I rinsed out, I use a CG DT rather than what came in the box and my hair looked great. My color is lasting longer as well.

That may not be the best way but it is what I did and seemed to work!
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
  • RoseMadderRoseMadder Posts: 38Registered Users
    sigh

One thing I wouldn't recommend is L'Oreal Natural Match.

I've been CG for about a month and my hair was feeling (and looking) great until I colored it
    earlier tonight. (first time with that brand and I've been coloring for years, both salon and at home)

Didn't use the included after color conditioner because I was afraid of 'cones so I used my standby DT, Biolage conditioning hair balm instead.

Right after coloring my hair felt like straw ... just like it did before I went CG. I was really hoping the Biolage would make it feel better but it's only a marginal difference.

I'll let you know how it feels and looks tomorrow.

I'm just about heartsick at this point.
    2C, maybe
    Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Deva Curls One condition
    GF Triple Nutrition conditioner, deep conditioner and leave in spray
    anGell and Set it Free
  • CrazyCurlGirlCrazyCurlGirl Posts: 7Registered Users
    Awh, i'm sorry rose. I work at a pool so i can fully relate to that straw feeling :neutral: I think i'm going to do some research and try and find some natural ways to darken my hair back a little bit. I'm naturally a medium shade brunette. It was super frustrating when my boyfriend told me my hair looked more reddish and my cousin asked if i'd attempted to dye it blonde and bleach my ends. Haha curse the chlorine and sun shine.
  • RoseMadderRoseMadder Posts: 38Registered Users
    Just to let you know, my hair feels much better after two conditioning treatments - almost back to normal. Whew.
    2C, maybe
    Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Deva Curls One condition
    GF Triple Nutrition conditioner, deep conditioner and leave in spray
    anGell and Set it Free
  • CrazyCurlGirlCrazyCurlGirl Posts: 7Registered Users
    Haha, that's good to hear (:
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just recently decided to pick back up on the curly girl method and decided to go shampoo-less. I was wondering if i color my hair, how should i go about it? Box dye or salon? Or are there any other ways i should? I'm trying to keep my hair as healthy as possible because i want to grow it out long.

I do dyes from the drugstore or Beauty Supply and have for years. I do the Curly Girl method and it works out fine with me dying my hair given, I don't use permananet dyes.

Currently, I use Clariol Natural Instincts in a dark color. And I actually use shampoo (sulfate free) once a week and conditioner wash on the other days. My color lasts about a month.

Some people like Robert Craig which doesn't contain harsh chemicals that eat the hair. A lot of people like demi-permanent dyes because they deposit color over the hair without destroying the hair shaft.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file