Is it ok to cowash and flat iron?

cisforcurlycisforcurly Registered Users Posts: 24
Howdy,

I'm trying co-washing (again) and am wondering if it's alright if I flat iron or use hot rollers in my hair?

The purpose of starting the co-washing is to help improve the health of my hair.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone else who co-washes uses a flat iron, curling iron, or hot rollers and what the results are like.

Thanks!
C is for Curly!
3a/b curls
Still searching for my HG

Comments

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    I don't think you'll be doing your hair any favors by flatironing w/o a heat protectant. And all of those I can think of are silicone-based...which would need to be washed out w/ shampoo.

I personally think flatironing your hair w/o a barrier is much more damaging than occasionally using a mild shampoo.

• DimePiece17DimePiece17 Registered Users Posts: 521
    it would be a greasy mess. When wearing my hair straight I have to use some kind of clarifying something to allow me to wear it straight. I like easy breezy free flowing locks when i wear it straight, so hair that hasn't been fully washed free of sebum would just not work. You COULD try to cowash and use lime juice or apple cidar vinegar to strip some of the excess oil, but I've never tried it.
    Beauty Tips for the Budgetista?
    Check me out on Youtube, Tumblr, FB, and Twitter!
    DimepieceonaDime-FB PAGE, Youtube Channel, and Tumblr
    Dimefabulous-Twitter name
    http://dimepieceonadime.tumblr.com/
  • pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    You will get better results from CG if you don't use heat. Heat is going to damage your hair, there is no avoiding it.
    If I were going to use heat on a regular basis, here is what I would do. I'd get a heat protectant with easy to remove cones. The beauty brains blog says not to have alcohol in the first ingredients of heat protectants. The tresseme heat protectent is one that qualifies. It is a-cone based.
    Then I would wash with a low poo. This should be able to remove an a-cone. Keep in mind, heat protectants aren't magic. You will still get heat damage.

How hot is too hot for styling tools?
    http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/05/straightening-factshow-hot-is-too-hot.html

You might also want to do research on protein. Protein can temporarily repair some of the damage from heat. How much protein you can use will depend on your hair's properties.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    Yes, it is possible. Not advised, but possible. The main concerns would be the need for a cone free heat protectant, and limiting the degree of heat, and length of application.

If you haven't checked out the Straightening section on CurlTalk, there's a lot more information there which would be helpful.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file