What is a good shampoo that I can find in grocery stores (e.g. Tesco

Warrior PrincessWarrior Princess Posts: 8Registered Users
Okay, this is going to take a bit of time to explain.
I've been cowashing my hair for months now and it has improved a lot since normally washing it with Pantene.
Problem is, I've been keeping it a secret from my Mum and recently, I HAD to tell her because she knew that something was up.

The reason why she thought something was up, was because my hair was wild and felt like bone. It wasn't soft at all. But that was because the conditioner ran out, so I didn't wash it with anything (I just rinsed it out) and that was the result.

My Mum immediately thought that it was the CONDITIONER that was ruining my hair and forced me to wash it again with Pantene (she thinks that Pantene is the best shampoo ever). When I washed it, it seemed to weigh the curls down and the curls weren't as defined as when I cowashed it. Plus, it felt like it was being stripped down, because of the sudden change of texture.

I had an argument with her about it and tried explaining to her why Pantene wasn't good for my hair, but she refused to listen.

My Dad, on the other hand, used to wash his hair with soap as child (so he doesn't like to splurge on anything), so when I asked HIM for conditioner, he got angry and said that the Pantene shampoo was enough and that I was asking for too much (We are broke at the moment). So I've made a deal with him that we'll go to Tesco and choose the kind I want and stick with it. All I wanted was a conditioner, really, but I also have to get a shampoo to keep my Mum happy.

What shampoos are there that aren't as harsh as Pantene, designed especially for curly hair, doesn't have Sodium Chloride or any harsh ingredients etc, that I can find in a grocery store like Tesco? Last time I went, I haven't seen any of those low poos that most of you guys talk about, so I'm afraid I can't get my hands on those.

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Warrior PrincessWarrior Princess Posts: 8Registered Users
    Grrr, I'm going to have a little rant now..

My parents wasted their money on conditioner designed for dry, brunette hair! I needed a conditioner that was specially designed for curly, frizzy hair. Why didn't they let me choose one? They assumed that I always chose the expensive brands. Hello!? They've chosen an expensive brand that's completely useless!
    I've tried it on my hair, and my Mum instructed me to tie my hair up after getting out of the shower and to take the tie off once it dried.
    It took literally half of the day to dry and I didn't like the result.
    It looked like a really weird shape (I regret getting it layered), it was still frizzy at the back and the curls at the top were messy, although a few at the bottom looked neat and ringletty.
    After I complained to my Mum, she told me to give up on my curls, brush it and tie it into a bun. She even claimed that it was impossible for me to leave it down, just because it's thick. Oh, I wish she'd stop with the 'I know all about hair' attitude, when she clearly doesn't know how to teach me to look after my hair type.
    Rant over.
    Phew! I'm glad I got that off my chest.
  • acydroseacydrose Posts: 17Registered Users
    Sometimes, some products are a bit expensive, it happens. But you don't need to worry about it, as long as you buy a products with no sulfates it won't damage your hair. You can try buying Suave Naturals, I use the coconut conditioner and it works wonders, its also pretty cheap :)

Also, never let your hair dry while its tied up, if you can, try to never tie it up. Especially in high ponytails, high buns or tight braids. This can cause traction alopecia (hairloss), its something I'm dealing with right now and its awful. Let the curls dry, completely and if you must tie it, try loose scrunchies and loose/messy buns.

:)
    ~acydrose
    3b-3c from Puerto Rico
  • AGirlWithACurlAGirlWithACurl Posts: 44Registered Users
    Im not sure about a shampoo in tesco but in superdrug the brand called samy does a range of sulate free shampoo its called samy pure (make sure you read the ingredients list incase) and bodyshop has a rainforest range and the shampoo doesnt have sulfates either.

Go to http://www.britishcurlies.co.uk/curl_forum/viewthread/215/

their is a list of low poos.

and check out the bodyshop rainforest range. http://www.thebodyshop.co.uk/_en/_gb/catalog/list.aspx?CategoryCode=C_Hair_NEWRainforestHaircare&ParentCatCode=C_Hair

And boots sells thr Naked brand which is also cg. (well mostly)
    Mixture of 2's And 3a
    Medium to Coarse

Low Porosity
    Low elasicity
    Started CG 5/08/10
    Co Wash : OS TT&M
    Co :GFR&S
    Style : Boots Pink/Garnier Survivor gel/UG gel/Tigi Curl Amplifer (experimenting)

• waviewavie Posts: 237Registered Users
    If you have a Trader Joe's near you I'd highly recommend their organic "Nourish Spa" shampoo. It's CG friendly (I think) and like, 3 bucks.

acydrose wrote: »
    Also, never let your hair dry while its tied up, if you can, try to never tie it up. Especially in high ponytails....

Wait...would this include the pineappling method (tying hair up to dry in a high ponytail w/ scrunchie) cause I've been doing that a couple times with excellent results.
    Hair type: 2C-3A, very dry, extremely low porosity, med elasticity, insanely thick kinky-wavy.
    HGs: Trader Joe's Nourish spa conditioner, Epsom salt rinse, Joico K-pak conditioner
  • Warrior PrincessWarrior Princess Posts: 8Registered Users
    Sometimes, some products are a bit expensive, it happens. But you don't need to worry about it, as long as you buy a products with no sulfates it won't damage your hair. You can try buying Suave Naturals, I use the coconut conditioner and it works wonders, its also pretty cheap :)

Also, never let your hair dry while its tied up, if you can, try to never tie it up. Especially in high ponytails, high buns or tight braids. This can cause traction alopecia (hairloss), its something I'm dealing with right now and its awful. Let the curls dry, completely and if you must tie it, try loose scrunchies and loose/messy buns.

Thank you. :)
    This might sound dumb, but how do you know if a product has no silicones?
  • alyssabriealyssabrie Posts: 110Registered Users

Thank you. :)
    This might sound dumb, but how do you know if a product has no silicones?

Look for ingredients that end in -cone, -conol, or -xane. There are a few ingredients that end in -xane that are not silicons.
    5077634794_2cf0982890_m.jpg

Photo Album:blob5:

small waves with corkscrews at the end/medium porosity/medium strand thickness/low density

HENNA! :toothy4:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file