Aubrey Organics.... What the ****?!

jenny curljenny curl Posts: 1,814Registered Users
So I went out and picked up a bottle of Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose a few days ago. I was in the health food store and I happened to pass by it and remember seeing that a lot of you use it. Everything on the bottle seemed fantastic (except for the price! $10 for a smaller than normal sized conditioner!) and I must say that I'm not a huge fan. I usually use Giovanni Deeper Moisture conditioner as my leave-in and the other day I tried the AOHR instead and my hair just does not feel as soft. I noticed that my hair soaked it up like nothing and my hair dried faster than normal when I got out of the shower. WTF?

What are your experiences with this stuff?
3b/c :: Fine :: Porous

I:love5: My Hair

Comments

• pjjosephgisspjjosephgiss Posts: 643Registered Users
    I love it and find it very moisturizing. I use it as a leave in, and as a DT- i don't really rinse out- I sleep with the conditioner on my head, and rinse it out in the am. Nothing else changed in your routine but using that as a leave in?
    Hair type-BC: 2/2011-mix of kinks+ coils
    Wash-Bobeam Poo bars, As I Am Cleansing Pudding and Coconut Cowash cleansing condish
    LI/RO-Curl Junkie rehab, Shescentit Avocado condish, Oyin Hair dew
    DT-KBB Luscious Locks, Curl Junkie ANYthing, Shescentit Avocado condish
    Style- UFD, Camille Rose, Hello Curly, Kinky Curly
    Sealant- Jamaican Black Castor and Avocado oils, Qhemet Biologics Honey & Olive Hydrating Balm
    Will try any CG product at least once.
    Proud to be a PJ!
    :happy7::wave:
  • jenny curljenny curl Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    Nope, just substituted the AO with my usual LI (Giovanni). I tried it again last night, and I guess its not HORRIBLE, but I have to use an awful lot for my hair to feel like it has conditioner in it.....if that makes sense.

• JLeighsJLeighs Posts: 904Registered Users Curl Novice
    My hair hates any AO conditioners --I think it's because they are oil-heavy.
    2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
  • nandiknitsnandiknits Posts: 260Registered Users
    I love this conditioner. I too need to use a lot of it, as I have thick, porous hair. I find this conditioner as equally moisturising as Curl Junkie Curl Rehab and Jessica Weekly Deep Treatment.
    CG since June/09
    3a/b extremely thick, coarse, porous
    Loving AOHR, Biolage Conditioning Balm, KCCC.:glasses8:
  • aishamodelaishamodel Posts: 136Registered Users
    It's my fave Condish! I use it for a deep condish, or sometimes I sleep with it. My hair loves it. It brings out my curl pattern, and really moisterizes and makes my hair soft.
    I honestly don't think I could live without it.
    I'm sorry it doesn't work for you. But hey, your hair knows what it likes!!
    4a-4b hair. Not sure yet so I'll just say both!
  • EponaBlackhorseEponaBlackhorse Posts: 304Registered Users
    I had a similar experience. My hair soaked it up really quickly and it wasn't great for me. But the deal breaker for me was the smell. It was way too strong for my sensitive nose. :(
    3a, medium texture, low porosity(?)
    Poo: KC Come Clean
    Rinse-out Condish: Jessicurl Too Shea
    Leave-in: KCKT
    Styling Products: KCCC, HETT/HESMU, Joiwhip
    Weekly Treatment: Jessicurl Weekly Deep Conditioner
    Monthly Treatment: Henna

Hair Pics (most I've hidden from public view but if you want to see more, PM me and I'll open up the security on them): http://flickr.com/photos/eponaaran/sets/72157610671796089/
  • aislinaislin Posts: 864Registered Users
    I had a similar experience. My hair soaked it up really quickly and it wasn't great for me. But the deal breaker for me was the smell. It was way too strong for my sensitive nose. :(

+1! Soaked it up, didn't moisturize at all, couldn't even get a comb through my hair afterwords. Still trying to think about what I'm going to do with the rest, only could stand to use it twice. I was so disappointed because people rave about this conditioner here so I was expecting much better. And my hair does well with oils and protein, so not really sure what the problem is with this conditioner.

Holy CRAP do these conditioners stink to high heaven. I love strongly scented products, but oh my god it's like grandma put on a perfume from the 1800's is what it smells like! I've had a similar experience with another conditioner from this line (the GPB/protein something or other) and was really disappointed.
    Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

• SummerRubySummerRuby Posts: 468Registered Users
    I've used AO HSR as my after-shampoo, rinse-out conditioner and as a co-wash. It's crap and I hate it. I would have to apply so much to get any kind of slip, and even then, it still did nothing for my hair. No moisture whatsoever, not even a drop. And you'd think it would do something for the price of it. Nope. This is one of the worst conditioners I've ever used (and I'm not exaggerating), and hell will freeze over, thaw, and freeze over once more before I even consider thinking about repurchasing this crap conditioner again.

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,450Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    My hair didn't like it, the texture was weird, the price was high (for someone like me who spends 79 cents on conditioner), and yes the strong scent was migraine-inducing-terrible. I couldn't use this stuff up fast enough.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    Everytime I've heard someone use it as a leave in, they were not happy. It's better as a rinse out or a deep conditioner.
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • pjjosephgisspjjosephgiss Posts: 643Registered Users
    santini wrote: »
    Nope, just substituted the AO with my usual LI (Giovanni). I tried it again last night, and I guess its not HORRIBLE, but I have to use an awful lot for my hair to feel like it has conditioner in it.....if that makes sense.

It seems like you have lots of company in other posters! I have had similar experiences with products other curlies raved about that didn't do it for my hair. Go with what you know, and what your hair likes!

@empressri- I love using it as a leave in.:love7: I am still finding my CG way around my transitioning hair, but I actually like it better than Giovanni, and KCNT-which are MADE to leave in! The scent is not my favorite, but it goes away, and doesn't make it unuseable for me.
    Hair type-BC: 2/2011-mix of kinks+ coils
    Wash-Bobeam Poo bars, As I Am Cleansing Pudding and Coconut Cowash cleansing condish
    LI/RO-Curl Junkie rehab, Shescentit Avocado condish, Oyin Hair dew
    DT-KBB Luscious Locks, Curl Junkie ANYthing, Shescentit Avocado condish
    Style- UFD, Camille Rose, Hello Curly, Kinky Curly
    Sealant- Jamaican Black Castor and Avocado oils, Qhemet Biologics Honey & Olive Hydrating Balm
    Will try any CG product at least once.
    Proud to be a PJ!
    :happy7::wave:
  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    I like the AOHSR but when I first started using it I didn't like it. I went through a whole bottle and I gave up on it for a really long time and recently I revisited it and I really like it. One thing I've changed since then is getting a steamer and heat cap. I've used it under my steamer and my heat cap as a deep conditioner and I find it very moisturizing. I don't really get much slip with it but that's not a deal breaker for me. When I deep condition, my hair is in twists to avoid inevitable tangling if I just wear it out and let my hair coil upon itself, so I don't use it for primary detangling. The bottle says for dry brittle hair and my hair is naturally dry and can be brittle (I have coarse, wiry hair) so maybe that has something to do with it. If your hair is finer and thinner, I wouldn't recommend this.
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • bettinflabettinfla Posts: 389Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Too thick and stinks to high heaven for me, much better things out there. Over cond.'s my hair in an instant !!!
    Homemade FSG, CK, KCCC and BRHG. Co wash w/Suave, or soap bars (occasionally) or Come Clean (Kinky Curly).
  • sarina32sarina32 Posts: 200Registered Users
    I tried this after only a couple months of CG and after one use my hair felt like straw and I had the worst frizz I've ever seen - like electric socket frizz. Bit the bullet and tried it again a few months ago and liked it a lot, nothing like the first time I tried it at all. Very strange...
    Ontario, Canada
    3a/3b - fine texture/high porosity
    CURRENT LINE-UP:
    experimenting....
    Others: CLU towel, Mebco comb, occasional diffuser
    I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who can't get with this damn conditioner. I'm not sure what to do with it....errrr....Are there any other AO conditioners that are better than the HSR?

• aishamodelaishamodel Posts: 136Registered Users
    I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who can't get with this damn conditioner. I'm not sure what to do with it....errrr....Are there any other AO conditioners that are better than the HSR?

Hey! You can give it to me if you don't want it. I love the stuff! LOL
    4a-4b hair. Not sure yet so I'll just say both!
    aishamodel wrote: »

Hey! You can give it to me if you don't want it. I love the stuff! LOL

You can have it!! BTW is that you and your amazing hair in your avatar?

• seniyaseniya Posts: 21Registered Users
    I hate this entire line!!! I used the shampoo and it stripped my hair even though I don't think it has sulphates. The conditioner made my hair frizzy and dry ... no thanks
    BC: June 2nd 2010

Current Length: Six inches, I'd like to believe

Routine: Wash and goes with VO5. Profectiv Hair Strengthener + Castor Oil + Water. Elasta QP Feels Like Silk on lazy days.

http://public.fotki.com/seniya/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file