Can I leave the keratin in more than 3 days?

nappyasiannappyasian Registered Users Posts: 87
HI ladies--
Its time for my 3 day wash-out. I am coming down with a cold and I don't feel like washing out the keratin. Its been 3 days but I am pulling it back and it doesn't bother me not to wash it. Can I leave it a couple more days? Can it "over process" ?

thanks,

Comments

• morningstarmorningstar Registered Users Posts: 144 Curl Connoisseur
    Hi nappyasian,

I don't think it will be a problem to leave in the keratin longer. I actually do the advanced keratin which you leave in for one hour and then can wash. I choose to leave it in for 24 hours, so I think it would fine to leave in yours for more than 3 days. Hope it turns out great this time - fingers crossed for you!
    3B dark brown shoulder length
    Co-wash, Living Proof No frizz, Biolage Gel, Giovanni vitapro fusion leave in
  • DimePiece17DimePiece17 Registered Users Posts: 521
    for some of these treatments the 3 day mark is the amount of time it takes for the keratin to bond to the hair, leaving it in longer won't have any effect. I did mine on Friday, but I won't be washing until Thursday...cuz I don't feel like it :)
    Beauty Tips for the Budgetista?
    Check me out on Youtube, Tumblr, FB, and Twitter!
    DimepieceonaDime-FB PAGE, Youtube Channel, and Tumblr
    Dimefabulous-Twitter name
    http://dimepieceonadime.tumblr.com/
  • ~Ghost Poster~~Ghost Poster~ Registered Users Posts: 2,264
    nappyasian wrote: »
    HI ladies--
    Its time for my 3 day wash-out. I am coming down with a cold and I don't feel like washing out the keratin. Its been 3 days but I am pulling it back and it doesn't bother me not to wash it. Can I leave it a couple more days? Can it "over process" ?

thanks,

Of course...it's not a "process." It's not processing during that time. I'm not really sure it's doing anything, to be quite frank. I wash my QOD Gold after 48 hours. I just don't use shampoo, so it lasts forever.

In fact, I'm coming here to tell AphroDiva what a great idea using my keratin as a leave-in conditioner is, which is an idea I got from her.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]d575b15bb0aa40deb59950570e3268e7.gif
    Baby fine, honey & caramel hilites, 4a/3c now 2b w/DIY BKT & LOVIN' it.
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    L'oreal EP Moisture-Rinse-out
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)
    Clean-smelling-hair freak washes EOD; dry w/bowl diffuser
    Cassia+henna+grays=Gold-red hilites :love1:
    ~That you don't share my experiences/opinions doesn't invalidate them :wink:
    I wondered if it tasted like a hot dog. ~Phoenix
  • DimePiece17DimePiece17 Registered Users Posts: 521
    poured two cap fulls of coppolla into my la brasilliana leave in conditioner and all it did was make my eyes burn burn burn and my head ache. It also didn't do anything to defrizz. For me, I think without the heat activation of a flat iron. as a leave in it didn't work too well....maybe two cap fulls was too much??
    Beauty Tips for the Budgetista?
    Check me out on Youtube, Tumblr, FB, and Twitter!
    DimepieceonaDime-FB PAGE, Youtube Channel, and Tumblr
    Dimefabulous-Twitter name
    http://dimepieceonadime.tumblr.com/
  • nappyasiannappyasian Registered Users Posts: 87
    Of course...it's not a "process." It's not processing during that time. I'm not really sure it's doing anything, to be quite frank. I wash my QOD Gold after 48 hours. I just don't use shampoo, so it lasts forever.

In fact, I'm coming here to tell AphroDiva what a great idea using my keratin as a leave-in conditioner is, which is an idea I got from her.

Just so I understand--do you only co-wash and no shampoo after your Keratin treatment? Also when you use keratin as leave-in--do you mean the keratin conditioner and you don't rinse it or the actual keratin treatment mixed with conditioner?

I may try the co-wash only method since my BKT seems to be fragile.

thanks,
  • ~Ghost Poster~~Ghost Poster~ Registered Users Posts: 2,264

Just so I understand--do you only co-wash and no shampoo after your Keratin treatment? Also when you use keratin as leave-in--do you mean the keratin conditioner and you don't rinse it or the actual keratin treatment mixed with conditioner?

thanks,

Yes, that's correct for the most part. I do occasionally use a very gentle no-sulfate shampoo, but very rarely. But, I also do a once-a-month BKT root application, and beforehand, I use a full-on clarifying shampoo, and my BKT is still intact. So, cowashing instead of shampoo on a regular basis definitely preserves the BKT.

As for the leave-in, I simply poured some of the keratin treatment into my hands and put it into my hair like I would any other leave-in conditioner. Then I combed it with my finger comb and then put in the BRHG, plopped while I did my makeup, then diffused my hair upside down. Came out fabulous. My eyes burned a bit during blow drying, so it's not something I'm going to do every wash.

You could try mixing the keratin treatment with conditioner or other leave-in, but I just used it straight as a leave-in.

Good luck!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]d575b15bb0aa40deb59950570e3268e7.gif
    Baby fine, honey & caramel hilites, 4a/3c now 2b w/DIY BKT & LOVIN' it.
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    L'oreal EP Moisture-Rinse-out
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)
    Clean-smelling-hair freak washes EOD; dry w/bowl diffuser
    Cassia+henna+grays=Gold-red hilites :love1:
    ~That you don't share my experiences/opinions doesn't invalidate them :wink:
    I wondered if it tasted like a hot dog. ~Phoenix
  • edotgirl80edotgirl80 Registered Users Posts: 7

thanks,

Yes, that's correct for the most part. I do occasionally use a very gentle no-sulfate shampoo, but very rarely. But, I also do a once-a-month BKT root application, and beforehand, I use a full-on clarifying shampoo, and my BKT is still intact. So, cowashing instead of shampoo on a regular basis definitely preserves the BKT.

As for the leave-in, I simply poured some of the keratin treatment into my hands and put it into my hair like I would any other leave-in conditioner. Then I combed it with my finger comb and then put in the BRHG, plopped while I did my makeup, then diffused my hair upside down. Came out fabulous. My eyes burned a bit during blow drying, so it's not something I'm going to do every wash.

You could try mixing the keratin treatment with conditioner or other leave-in, but I just used it straight as a leave-in.

Good luck!
    Ghost - I just got my first one Saturday, they said to leave it on 4 days, which is fine, as my hair doesn't get greasy until like, 2 weeks after washing... I bought some special shampoo (no NaCl/sulphates, etc), but can I get away with just using the conditioner to rinse it out? I've been reading the heck out some posts on here, and I find you to be especially helpful and knowledgeable - Much appreciated!! It ended up costing me an arm and a leg to get this done, and after reading some of your posts, I'm definitely going to be doing home treatments from here on out... If I like the results, or course :) Also, the stylist used Marcia Teixeira Original formula, which I haven't seen reviewed on any posts... Just FYI. Any input is greatly appreciated!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file