Rid me of the brassiness!

aislinaislin Posts: 864Registered Users
So I'm not blonde really (more like a very light mouse-y brown/dark blonde) and need to stay ash because warmth in my hair does not go well with the pink undertones in my cool skin. I had my hair professionally toned down a few weeks ago, but I am looking for at home solutions to keep it ashy because it's beginning to turn back.

I picked up a product called, "Clairol shimmering lights" generic shampoo and the real brand conditioner (poo has sulfates, but neither have cones) for blondes/greys at Sally's. I've heard a lot of good things about this stuff.

What do you blondes/fair haired people do to combat the brassiness? I have a real water problem, like there are orange spots in the shower after awhile where the water pools. I've used filters before, but it was not effective and expensive to keep up after awhile.

What else can I do?

TIA!
Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

Comments

• sarina32sarina32 Posts: 200Registered Users
    I remember another poster saying that permanent hair dyes need to lift your color before they deposit the new color, this lifting of your current color causes your new color to fade to brassy. Semi or demi permanent hairdyes don't lift your color they just deposit color (ammonia I believe is the lifting ingredient in permanent ones) and therefore your hair doesn't end up a brassy color from them. I know a hairstylist told my mom the same thing about semi/demi vs permanent colors. Also, use a haircolor with "ash" in it - for example dark ash blonde opposed to dark golden blonde.
    Ontario, Canada
    3a/3b - fine texture/high porosity
    CURRENT LINE-UP:
    experimenting....
    Others: CLU towel, Mebco comb, occasional diffuser
  • aislinaislin Posts: 864Registered Users
    Basically I had a color correction, or I guess an all over color lightening to match my roots April 1st. I was previously a very dark brown and had been using RC colors, which I'm pretty sure is deposit only because it never had to lift.

Basically what happened was she lifted the old color, and after she toned/dyed it I was orange still. I highly suspect she missed one of those later steps, I don't believe she actually toned it or used the ash base color I asked for, apparently the receptionist hadn't booked her enough time for me, though they never said anything until the very end otherwise I would have gladly rescheduled. It faded A LOT, but into a more brassy blond color. I always ALWAYS, whether doing color myself or with a professional, have asked for ash colors (unless it's a really dark brown/black color then it's not as big of a deal).

Then a few weeks ago I had the toner applied and that helped some, but now it's beginning to happen again.

Thank you for your insight. At this time I'm not really looking for all over coloring again, just non-dye solutions. I'm thinking about highlighting, which I know if we used ash colors would help, but again would still be concerned about keeping it from going orange as it's beginning to do again now. I highly suspect it's a water thing but I really can't tell.

Thank you for your input, I'll definitely look into those ideas! :p

• CurlyToastCurlyToast Posts: 579Registered Users
    As mentioned, the reason you're brassy after a permanent color process is because your natural color is lifted, which typically leaves hair anywhere on the spectrum from orange to yellow, depending on the hair and the natural color level.

There really isn't any way to fix that without using a drabber, or an ash-based color on top. And even then, particularly if the permanent process made you porous or exacerbated natural porosity, any color you apply subsequently will be prone to fading; when it fades, it will do so to the underlying color, which is now an orange-y yellow.

Essentially, you cannot un-do the color lift from the permanent process. You just have to keep drabbing it until the permanent stuff grows out. If you do this with a demi-permanent color, you *will not* be lifting the color in virgin growth and so will not be as prone to brassiness in new growth.

For some mitigation, you might try a violet-toned color-keeper shampoo or condish.
  • KarenRB53KarenRB53 Posts: 355Registered Users
    CurlyToast wrote: »
    As mentioned, the reason you're brassy after a permanent color process is because your natural color is lifted, which typically leaves hair anywhere on the spectrum from orange to yellow, depending on the hair and the natural color level.

There really isn't any way to fix that without using a drabber, or an ash-based color on top. And even then, particularly if the permanent process made you porous or exacerbated natural porosity, any color you apply

subsequently will be prone to fading; when it fades, it will do so to the underlying color, which is now an orange-y yellow.

Essentially, you cannot un-do the color lift from the permanent process. You just have to keep drabbing it until the permanent stuff grows out. If you do this with a demi-permanent color, you *will not* be lifting the color in virgin growth and so will not be as prone to brassiness in new growth.

For some mitigation, you might try a violet-toned color-keeper shampoo or condish.

I'm having same trouble with brassines. I have hair coloured professionally last time and she used permanent hair colours...dark blond and light ash blonde. Two wks later the colour has faded and its now too much "reddy" colour in it. I think its the shampoo I was using also. I bought the new Pantence for Colour & Volume. Really strips the colour. I now have Eleucence Shampoo which I believe is low-poo so should not strip or fade colour. Anyway when taking to the people from Garnier Fructic (I was going to try the Herbashine) they didn't suggest I use a semi colour but a permanent one and they did suggest using 1/2 light ash blonde and 1/2 dark blonde and it should be a nice soft light brown or maybe soft dark blonde. But do you agree that I shouldn't use the semi permanent. I think its that I wanted to tone the whole head down so that why they suggested the permanent. Any suggestions? I also saw in the drugstore today that they have a product specifically for taking the brassiness out of hair colour. Would this product be used when you colour or after colouring?
    3b, fine textured,thin and normal to high porosity.
  • aislinaislin Posts: 864Registered Users
    CurlyToast wrote: »

There really isn't any way to fix that without using a drabber, or an ash-based color on top. And even then, particularly if the permanent process made you porous or exacerbated natural porosity, any color you apply subsequently will be prone to fading; when it fades, it will do so to the underlying color, which is now an orange-y yellow.

Thank you for the explanations :-). I did go out and get Shimmering Lights from Clairol and the GVP version at Sallys which is a poo/condish I've read up on that has a lot of great reviews for toning down brassiness. I've only used it a few times, but I'm willing to stick it out.

I figured anything I put over my hair at this point will fade, but to be honest I didn't expect the toner to fade THAT fast, being that my hair isn't terribly damaged or extremely porous, surprising for what I've put it through I know. I figure I'll have to keep up with the coloring until I get it right and it grows out. I'm looking to go a little lighter with the highlights and of course ashier anyways, so hopefully it won't continue to stay this way as I continue to treat it and use this violet depositing poo/condish.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file