10 month old protien sensitive

ebonyannetteebonyannette Registered Users Posts: 4
So im looking for something for my sons hair. I am learning to braid so I cornrow his hair a couple times a week but its gets super frizzy.

He has 4a hair

I was wondering what can I use for him, I was interested in the Bee Mine products but I dont want to waste money if it doesnt work.

I used the Suave Naturals Almond Conditioner everyone raves about but it left his hair feeling like straw. I use Herbal Essence Hello Hydration conditioner to co wash his hair once a week. I also use this to style his hair.

I recently bought the Mango Lime leave in conditioner, it doesnt seem to do much for his hair.

What I am looking to do is find a product that 1 will provide a little bit of hold when i braid his hair (since hes still small it frizzes out alot and his sides are too short to braid. And 2 that will leave his hair shiny and not leave his hair feeling like straw.

I really dont want to use gel like Lets Jam or anything in his hair

Any Suggestions?

Comments

• BekkaPooBekkaPoo Registered Users Posts: 3,861 Curl Neophyte
    I'm not a mom, so you can either take or leave my input, but does a 10 month old baby really need to use any hair products? I can understand if you're trying to start keeping his hair in good condition from the beginning, but I would imagine that most commercial products are too strong/harsh for baby hair and skin. Maybe just a light natural oil like jojoba and water would be enough for your baby, and occasional washes with a mild diluted shampoo.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • ebonyannetteebonyannette Registered Users Posts: 4
    Thanks for your reply! Well thats why I was looking for advice because I dont want to put alot of chemicals in his hair at the same time I need something a lil stronger than water to hold his hair in a style for most of the day.

There is nothing wrong with him wearing his hair out I just want it to look neat when I braid it and was wondering what other ppl use for babies.
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    not sure what products to recommend but i think most small children and babies are protein sensitive. its just too much for their fine hair at that point.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    I'm not a mother either but I was once 10 months old. The best you can do is let his hair grow free and keep it clean and moisturized. Leaving in conditioner is good; a natural butter or castor oil is also good. Baby hair is fragile and braiding may put too much strain on it.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    I'm not a mother either but I was once 10 months old. The best you can do is let his hair grow free and keep it clean and moisturized. Leaving in conditioner is good; a natural butter or castor oil is also good. Baby hair is fragile and braiding may put too much strain on it.

That's another thing I was thinking.. Are his side hairs grown in yet? If not, I wouldn't braid the hair yet.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
    yeah the top is basically a mop about 6-7 inches long that sticks straight up, his sides are growing back in but not long enough to braid so I dont braid the sides.

Like I said I only braid his hair about twice a week, I dont braid tight (I barely know how to braid)

But I will stick with what I've been doing. Thanks for the suggestions! I guess protien sensitive would make sense a his age.
    yeah the top is basically a mop about 6-7 inches long that sticks straight up, his sides are growing back in but not long enough to braid so I dont braid the sides.

Like I said I only braid his hair about twice a week, I dont braid tight (I barely know how to braid)

But I will stick with what I've been doing. Thanks for the suggestions! I guess protien sensitive would make sense a his age.

Awww.. let him rock his baby hawk. :)

Well glad you liked the suggestions. Good luck, and let everyone know how it goes.
  • breathebreathe Registered Users Posts: 399
    Herbal Essences has a cone in it, which can contribute to dryness if you don't occasionally shampoo it out. I've never seen Suave Naturals in an almond scent, are you possibly talking about Suave Professionals in the green bottle? If so, that has a cone in it as well. Piling all those cones on his hair and never washing them out is a recipe for dryness. You may want to use a gentle baby shampoo to get them out and just start over.
    big chop: 03/09/2010.
    modified cg.
    medium/coarse | dense | normal porosity | 4b/3c with random sprinkles of 4a.

• CurlyQ'sHairDo'sCurlyQ'sHairDo's Registered Users Posts: 54
    On my little girl (who didn't really get her curls til she turned 1) I've just been using water to detangle and then virgin coconut oil and organic raw unrefined Shea Butter as a leave in. Now that she's recently turned 2 we've started exploring the world of "products" but really, I'm SOOOO picky about the ingredients!

(I don't trust most anything you can buy at a drugstore or walmart - but that's just me. You can check the cosmeticsdatabase.com for toxicity ratings on any ingredients in your products.)

Like pp have said, go ahead and braid - but do it loose and not too often. Be careful of his hairline.

Don't use shampoo too much - that can be drying too. Just wash with water and conditioner!

Some product lines I'm okay with using are:
    Original Sprout (but not their Deep Condish)
    myCaraB.com
    Tate's Pure and Natural
    Aubrey Organics
    Suki
    Ely Organics

Congrats on your curly boy! :D
    Learning and Loving the Curly Life!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Check out my Natural Hair Care and Styles blog at www.curlyhairdoideas.com :toothy4: The model and "Curly Girl" is 2 years old now!!
    @ CurlyQ- Thank you I will try the original sprout.

@ Breathe-I didnt know those had cones in them yes it was the Suave Professionals sorry! Thank you so much!

I really dont like the smell of the shea butter but it might be best for him.I have some I was using on my tummy and stopped using it cause of the smell, Is it ok to add some scent to it?
  • CurlyQ'sHairDo'sCurlyQ'sHairDo's Registered Users Posts: 54
    I'm sure you could add some sort of Essential Oil to the shea butter. But you'd want to research those too, before using them - they all have different properties and just, it's good to know what you're using, especially on little ones! (for ex. lavendar EO is estrogenic)

I just got my sample of Cara B last night - I LOVE IT!!!! I used the conditioner in my own hair (co-washed with it) and then the leave in spritz. My hair was sooooo soft. I'm in love with the lotion, too, and I never use lotions! The scent is soooo nice.

I have yet to try Cara B on my daughter, but I have high hopes!! :D
    Learning and Loving the Curly Life!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Check out my Natural Hair Care and Styles blog at www.curlyhairdoideas.com :toothy4: The model and "Curly Girl" is 2 years old now!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file