Has anyone else in Au tried KY?

TassieAngeTassieAnge Posts: 116Registered Users
Just in the process of giving the KY a go in my hair. Well, not literally in the process, have used it once and am liking the results for frizz taming and second day hair. Anyone else using it?

Also, has anyone else tried cheaper brands of lube? They all have different ingredients, so I'm interested if anyone has recommendations about what's good and what's not.

BTW I was watching the CK video (with the guy with the accent) and my little family all wandered in and started "OVERPLAY"ing with my curls and imitating his voice. :toothy10: Hilarious, except that a 19 month old should never be let loose with your curls :tongue10:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
3a, low porosity, protein sensitive, medium texture (with random coarse strands), growing out a pixie cut

Located in Tasmania, Australia

:wav:

Comments

• StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I remember looking when I was out shopping one day but, as you say, the ingredients were all different in the different brands and I didn't know what to get so ended up not bothering! I did try some we have at work (tiny little sachets, shh, don't tell) but it was no good, can't remember the brand but you can bet it's very cheap if we have it at work.

Later I wondered why I'd bothered anyway as it's supposed to be a substitute for CK which does absolutely nothing for my hair. Probably just jumping on the bandwagon as usual!

Glad you're having luck with it.
    3b in South Australia.
  • TassieAngeTassieAnge Posts: 116Registered Users
    Interesting, thanks for that. I assume it wouldn't be a necessary thing if you don't have frizz issues. I am quite frizzy this winter, plus hugely porous, so I'm guessing maybe you're not?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a, low porosity, protein sensitive, medium texture (with random coarse strands), growing out a pixie cut

• FeralcurlsFeralcurls Posts: 408Registered Users
    Standing in a Chemist shop reading the ingredients of lube was a very embarrassing moment in my life! Luckily the sales assistant was very on board with the whole thing and was helpful.

I couldn't find KY itself so got a different brand. It was ok. I don't really have a frizz problem though.
  • curlywurlygurlycurlywurlygurly Posts: 1,180Registered Users
    I've tried it and failed miserably with it, I just couldn't get the application/amount.. anything right. It made me frizz and my hair always looked lank and producty regardless how little I used. I read and re-read application processes over and over. Just didn't work for me. My hair isn't very fond of glycerin though. I also didn't like jessicurl lavender spray (refresher - no idea what the name is), that has glycerin high in the ingredients list too.

You could always try your local health food shop, and try to buy pure vegetable glycerin.

good luck, glad it's working for you.
    2 something Australian :toothy4:

http://public.fotki.com/curlywurlygurly/
    pw:aussie

Aiming to grow hair to waist from buzz cut - slowly but surely.
    How sad that it actually made you frizz. Must have been the glycerin I guess. I have oodles of pure veg glycerin on hand for the business, but I'm looking at the CK ingredients and it's very low on the list, so I'm imagining I'd need to dilute it a whole lot for this purpose.

Looks like some trial and error might be on the cards. There must be a cheaper brand that works, surely? KY is quite expensive when you're used to making all your own products.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Not so loving the incredibly long drying time...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    TassieAnge wrote: »
    Interesting, thanks for that. I assume it wouldn't be a necessary thing if you don't have frizz issues. I am quite frizzy this winter, plus hugely porous, so I'm guessing maybe you're not?
    I wish - frizz is the bane of my life and I'm also very porous as far as I can tell! I avoid glycerin like the plague these days.
    3b in South Australia.
    Have you tried the Spritz and Condish? I'm finding it a bit better. I am currently unsold on the KY, the frizzies still pop up by late afternoon regardless, which is how long it takes to dry more or less. No, actually there is a half hour window between total drying and the start of frizz, which is not much time to enjoy the loveliness. I am wondering if the frizz is more health related than anything. Hoping the spring weather will help if it ever gets here.

I have made an uber rich condish that's got lots of shea and jojoba and good stuff in there. Hoping that helps. I was going to offer you a sample but it has glycerin, which my hair still loves in winter. Cutting glycerin made no difference at all to my frizz. Oddly enough. Go figure.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file