Very Frustrated with Clumping

TandrusTandrus Registered Users Posts: 14
I'm at a loss.

I've been embracing my curls for about 7 years now. I wasn't on the CG method, but I realized I had curly hair and I had to learn to deal with it as curly hair and not try to be a straighty. I developed a routine involving some very simple steps and it made my curls look great. Great clumping, great control and hold. The only thing I lacked was great texture. My hair was dry and brittle, very damaged feeling, and after it dried it was very crunchy. I hated that.

Well, now I'm trying CG and I've flipped to the other end of the spectrum. My hair feels wonderful: soft and supple, smooth, moisturized. However, now I can't get my curls to clump together. They just sit there in very stringy, individual strands of curls. I have no control, no hold whatsoever, and little to no definition.

Is there a happy middle ground? I'm really new at this, but this is very disappointing to say the least. Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom, something new I could try? I've attempted the "SuperSoaker" method with no change whatsoever.

Any help is appreciated. :)
3b, Low Porosity, Nearly no elasticity. Very dry, medium texture, Thick iii. I think I'm protein sensitive?

CG began 8/3/2010

Blog: http://cgtandrus.blogspot.com/
So I can keep track of what the heck I've done and am going to do next.

Routine:
Co-Wash: White Rain Ocean Mist
Leave-In: GVP Conditioning Balm
Gel: VO5 Real Clean: Extra Hold, LA Sport Gel #10

Trying FSG ... we'll see!

Comments

• jesisi67jesisi67 Registered Users Posts: 35
    hmm i kinda have that problem too. It's weird some days my hair will clump nicely ( like today ) others my hair wont at all. I think its the way we are styling our hair.

Perhaps if you style your hair right out the shower soaking wet and rake gel into your hair using your fingers spread apart you can manipulate the curl. Rake it down to form big clumbs then scrunch them up. Make sure your fingers are really spread apart. Use a load of light hold gel too, then let it try for an hour and scrunch those bad boys out...

I dont know if this is useful info, you probably already know, but thats what i do :)
    3b/3a/2c, Fine Texture, medium Density
    low/normal porosity, normal elasticity
    CG since 8/1/10!
    CU: DC No Poo Cleanser, One Condition, ArcAngel, Set it Free
    DT: Heaven in Hair (almost out), Nexxus Emergencee twice a month
    Blog: DirtCheapBeauty
  • TandrusTandrus Registered Users Posts: 14
    Hmm. Perhaps I'm rushing too much, I'll try spending some more time and trying to help the clumps along. Thanks for the tips. I just got some flax seeds, I'm gonna play in the kitchen and try that too. :D
    3b, Low Porosity, Nearly no elasticity. Very dry, medium texture, Thick iii. I think I'm protein sensitive?

CG began 8/3/2010

Routine:

• NorthCoastLadyNorthCoastLady Registered Users Posts: 230
    I feel your pain, my hair is pretty clump-resistant too. :( The only thing that makes some clumps in my hair (2b, porous, fine textured) is applying a leave-in to dripping wet hair, with NO gel. For some reason, the gels I've been using just separate my hair and make it a bit stringy.

It's frustrating, but have patience, lol. It does take a bit of time for some of us to develop a good styling method. Have you tried the SuperSoaker method?
    2a in the front/sides, 2b in the back.
    Highly porous, dry, fine, low elasticity
    Currently experimenting- I'm on a mission to eventually use all homemade products for my hair!
    CG since July '10.
    co-wash with White Rain Energizing Citrus
    Using coconut oil on ends nightly
    styling with aloe vera gel
    DT once a week with mayo, egg, olive oil.
    Focusing on scalp and hair health first, then length.
    I did try the SS method, with very poor results. However, I did a lot of research last night and I am going to try some new techniques and a batch of FSG that I cooked up. I'm really praying I did it right. lol.

I'll post the techniques with my results, if they're promising. Unfortunately, I can't take a shower yet, as it's *still* storming ... :neutral:

CG began 8/3/2010

Routine:

• pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    The ice queen method give me great clumps. Ecostyler is also kind of a magic clumper for me. I scrunch it in using the ice queen method. CVS and Sally's have it in their ethnic section for 3-5$ for 32oz. I think it is on sale at sally's this month.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • sweety10189110sweety10189110 Registered Users Posts: 129 Curl Neophyte
    I'm with Pedaheh on the Ecostyler. After I put in my LI/curl cream I scrunch in some watered down Ecostyler (right now I've been using the Olive Oil one and getting good clumps but I'm trying out the Krystal tomorrow) then lightly spray some water in my hair from a spray bottle and lightly scrunch out some of the water to form my clumps.
    Mod CG since 4/10
    Products being used ATM
    Wash: KCCC, CJDF, AOGPB
    Rinseout:: Tresemme Naturals
    Moisturizing and Volume, Yes to Cucumbers
    LI: Giovanni DLI, KCKT
    DT: CJH&BDF, CJCR
    Every Day Stylers: KCCC, AOMM, Biotera Curl Cream, CJCCCC-Lite, CJCIAB, CJCQ, LALGs
    I had really good luck with manual clumping.

Yesterday was my birthday, and I wanted to try something new. I got in the shower the night before, washed as usual, scrunched some gel into my sopping wet hair. Then, I took a pack of bobby pins, started at the top (middle part) and started plucking curls up. I ran a little gel through each individual lock, twisted it from top to bottom and then wrapped it from root to tip around two fingers. I pinned the curl to my head. I made big ones and littles ones for volume and texture. I plopped overnight, then when I took that off, I lightly covered my head in a little more gel. Diffused to dry fully, then pulled the pins out. The results were amazing and beautiful. When I get the pictures off of my camera I'll post them.

I'm a student, so this is something I can easily do at night and then it won't take me a long time to get ready in the morning. I like that a lot. =)

CG began 8/3/2010

Routine:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file