August 2010-August 2012 Hair Growth Challenge

JKinks<3JKinks<3 Posts: 62Registered Users
I have decided to start my own little challenge. Those who want to join are welcomed to join. For the next two years I will try to retain as much hair as possible, stay away from heat and grow a crown of beautiful, thick healthy hair. I will document my journey along the way and use organic, ayurvedic powders/herbs or homemade products only. I will keep a fotki and blog of my journey. I'm ready to really love my hair again:love4:

My Regimen- No cones or poos for me; also I will be using different herbs and powders
-Cowash 3-4x a week (followup with leavin and moisture)
-Deep Condition 1x a week
-Protein Treatment 1x a month
-deep DEEP oil treatment 1x a week
-steaming
-Oil nightly
-Take vitamins/supplements
*may make adjustments over the next 2 years

Rules
-NO heat
-NO trimming
-NO wearing hair out (protective styling- protect your ends)
-Monthly check ins (photos)
-Support one another
-Leave fotki info and document journey if you have one
-If you need help with ANYTHING feel free to ask
*if you would like to make any suggestions please feel free to leave them

Participants
JKinks<3
allme89
HeyNaturals
aislin
imgonnastartawar
ZARIA**
funkymunky
SassyCurls123
curiouserandcuriouser
ImStarJacks
OnyxK.
chrissa06
pretebrowneyes
sjones26
shortiiluvs

Comments

• SassyCurls123SassyCurls123 Posts: 92Registered Users
    I'm going to join this :D My hair stretched out reaches my collar bone, but regulary it reaches to the bottom of my neck.
    I want my hair to grow a little more then past my shoulders. I'm not going to use heat until i want to see how long it is, and i'll try to use more oils/ and the right products for my hair. I plan on keeping my hair in protective styles, and spraying it with my conditioner/ olive oil miz daily. Shampooing and conditioning every 2 weeks or less DC 1 time a month. I'm going to see how long i can go without trimming my hair! I'll be tuning in on your fotki =)
    :jocolor:I have been natural all my life :jocolor:

And i am just starting to know my 3c/4a hair better :wav:

Shampoo- Pantene Dry to moisturized
    Conditioner/ Leave in/ - Aussie Moist/Garnier Fructis leave in LOVE THEM!

Sealants: Indian Hemp
  • aislinaislin Posts: 864Registered Users
    This sounds like a great idea! I've decided just recently to keep growing again myself! This is always kind of an indefinite thing for me though, now that I've gotten rid of 98% of my relaxed hair. I would like to join you! For myself, I have the same goals as you, but trimming/dusting as necessary, using diffuser is okay, and straightening once in a blue moon is cool. Going to keep doing what I've been doing, taking the multi, doing protein and deep tx weekly. Although, my one problem I see with this is that I'm getting back into coloring. I will see how that affects retention of length. I can usually do a lot to my hair color wise and not worry about too retention loss, so we'll see.

I can't wait to see the homemade remedies you're cooking up! I've been hearing the whole "Ayurvedic" for hair being thrown around recently and don't really understand what that's about. I know about Ayurvedic healing as an alternative (in the west, anyway) holistic healing type approach, but I'm not really too sure on what it has to do with hair care. This is my ignorance speaking :)
    Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

• ZARIA**ZARIA** Posts: 706Registered Users
    Okay I'm in!!! I need to grow my hair for my wedding in may. Right now its mid back when flat ironed, Just below shoulder length when curly.

I just started taking GNC Ultra Nourish hair, and waiting for my MSM, biotin, and flax-seed to be shipped from Ebay.

I will only flatiron on special occasions, and try and leave it curly 90% of the time.

My curly hair regimen is: Wash scalp with clarifier when needed, condition, comb through conditioner while in shower. Apply Olive Oil, Paul Mitchell hair sculpting lotion mixed with HONEY, and top it off with hair spray..Plop and go.

I will keep you undated in 1 month of any noticeable hair growth.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Hispanic/Black 3A-B
    Mixed hair: Curls, waves and spirals.
    http://public.fotki.com/7788/hair-growth-ultra-n/
  • JKinks<3JKinks<3 Posts: 62Registered Users
    aislin wrote: »
    This sounds like a great idea! I've decided just recently to keep growing again myself! This is always kind of an indefinite thing for me though, now that I've gotten rid of 98% of my relaxed hair. I would like to join you! For myself, I have the same goals as you, but trimming/dusting as necessary, using diffuser is okay, and straightening once in a blue moon is cool. Going to keep doing what I've been doing, taking the multi, doing protein and deep tx weekly. Although, my one problem I see with this is that I'm getting back into coloring. I will see how that affects retention of length. I can usually do a lot to my hair color wise and not worry about too retention loss, so we'll see.

I can't wait to see the homemade remedies you're cooking up! I've been hearing the whole "Ayurvedic" for hair being thrown around recently and don't really understand what that's about. I know about Ayurvedic healing as an alternative (in the west, anyway) holistic healing type approach, but I'm not really too sure on what it has to do with hair care. This is my ignorance speaking :)

I have been doing some research on ayurveda and it's different usages. It can help with hair growth as far as retention, dandruff, growth and split ends.

Here was one web page I came across while researching
    http://ayurveda.ygoy.com/2008/07/31/herbal-remedies-to-grow-hair/
    I think everyone should come up with an exact regimen that they will follow and post. I will need about 10 days to get everything in order. On the 15 I will start documenting and following my regimen to a T. I'm excited ladies! :hello1:
  • imgonnastartawarimgonnastartawar Posts: 237Registered Users
    can i join?
    i wanna try to get my hair to waist length by agust 2012, that is, if the world doesn't end:sad11:
    can i join?
    i wanna try to get my hair to waist length by agust 2012, that is, if the world doesn't end:sad11:

lol yes you can join
  • HeyNaturalsHeyNaturals Posts: 7Registered Users
    Ill join to 2! I wanna prove to the people around me that black hair can grow!
    i just joined Fotki as well, and ill be putting up some picks for monthly progress :)
    http://members.fotki.com/HeyNaturals/about/
    Last Perm: Aug 25 2009
    Big Chop: June 11 2010
    Texture: 4b mostly, 4a on top of my head
    Growing long and strong! :afro:

Fotki: http://members.fotki.com/HeyNaturals/about/
    This will be my regimen for the next 2 years!:
    Spring-Summer-Autumn
    -Co-wash everyday (or try too...) detangle first with hands then wide tooth comb
    -lightly apply coconut oil to my hair as a sealant
    -deep condition with avocado and mayo every week
    -Henna once a month (if I have the money...)

Winter:
    -co-wash 2-4 times a week
    -deep condition with avocado and mayo every week
    -moisturize well with coconut oil (scalp and ends)
    -keep in a protective hair style! (most important) maybe under a hat or something....i don't like braids...

^^^^ sure you can! :icon_smile:

I'll be posting my regimen soon
  • curiouserandcuriousercuriouserandcuriouser Posts: 11Registered Users
    **bounces up and down** this one I can do! this one I can do! I recently BC'd, less than 7 days ago... and... while I'm going to enjoy my hair short while it is I want it to grow out (so I can cut it again, endless cycle lol).

I don't have a regime yet, like 100%--except that I'm cowashing and conditioning everyday. I take One A Day Womens, but will begin taking MSM, Biotin, and Flaxseed tomorrow--and Monday I will begin adding protein to my smoothies before I exercise.

I'm still trying products... but nightly I massage some Coconut Oil with Lavender and Rosemary all over my scalp.

Hair type: Um... about that
    BC: August 1st, 2010
    Initial length: .7 inches
    Current curly length: .7 inches
  • allme89allme89 Posts: 34Registered Users
    i'm joining. i quit relaxers dec 24. out of laziness and stumbled across all these people who open my eyes up and made me realize black girls hair grow too! so i've been taking care of my since the end of jan. My hair grew so much but I let some edward scissorhand mess me up and she gave me a blow out and honestly i hated how much product she placed in my hair to maintain it. it felt HEAVY. i'm so happy i type in scab hair and found this forum. i found others but this is the forum for me. where curlies unite. anyway still growing out my scab hair ( i know some believe it some dont i just look at as a title). i heard it takes a year to get the good stuff to come in. so jan is going to be where my hardwork and i will not cut my hair until it reaches bsl. sorry for the life story i'm just happy i found yall. i always say this if anyone found mistakes with my regimen or im using bad products let me know. i research all advice and make my decision i just like to hear honest input.

ok my reggie isnt really a reggie i just go with the flow but my hair hardly sheds ( only if i mess with when wet) and grew the most it has ever grown over 6 months but this is what i want to be my reggie

cowash 3 to 4x a week
    (ntm conditioner and vo5)

clarify every 2 weeks
    (ntm purifier --- i think thats the name)

shampoo every 2 weeks
    (ntm shampoo)

leave in daily
    (ntm leave in)

protein treatment once a month with an egg, evoo, and vingear mixed

baggy whenever i feel like it probably 3x month. i just have a problem with the whole baggying theory
    (evoo)

i always take prenatal vitamins --trying to work out at least 3x wk but would to everyday---i use shea butter and plan on purchasing coconut oil

http://members.fotki.com/allme89/about/
    12.75in.----4a----NTM junkie----homemade products addict---prenatal vitamins pill popper---mother of 3---21 yo house girlfriend---from the lonestarstate

current goal 19inches----sl
    :iroc:
    yay! more people! I think we should all upload progress pictures and regimen changes on a fotki, heres mine:

we need to encourage each other on this lovely journey :)
    add me as a friend! :D

• ImStarJacksImStarJacks Posts: 26Registered Users
    JKinks<3 wrote: »
    I think everyone should come up with an exact regimen that they will follow and post. I will need about 10 days to get everything in order. On the 15 I will start documenting and following my regimen to a T. I'm excited ladies! :hello1:

I want to join this. I just BC'd about 2 months ago and I have prolly 1 1/2" -2" of hair stretched out. I dont plan on using any heat on my hair bc I absolutely love my 4a/3c hair.

Daily Routine:
    CoWash w/ Suave Naturals (coconut)
    [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink] (rinse out)
    KCCC

Other:
    1x Weekly Poo w/ [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-No-Poo-p-53.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-nopoo]DevaCurl No-Poo[/buylink] (bc of build up from Cowashing and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink])
    1x Monthly Poo w/ Elucense Moisture Benefits (great product)

I just made a fotki account: http://public.fotki.com/ImStarJacks/ password: changeme..... will upload pics of my current hair tonight.

PS. Im excited this is my first challenge.
    Big Chop: 9/2013
    Hair Type: 4a
    Current Length: 1/2"
    Goals: Love my hair & Let it Grow

event.png
  • funkymunkyfunkymunky Posts: 20Registered Users
    im in.
    i dont have pics/fotki
    but the description of my hair is pretty simple
    im transitioning after 2 years of relaxer
    i think my last relaxer was about a year ago
    so right now my hair is about mid to end neck length curly
    and collarbone stretched
    I'm glad so many people are joining! For the next two years we will be able to help each other. I hope to see everyone's hair grow as time goes on and if anyone needs any help, questions/support we can all be there for each other. By the end of next week I should have my pics up

chao
    allme89 wrote: »
    i'm joining. i quit relaxers dec 24. out of laziness and stumbled across all these people who open my eyes up and made me realize black girls hair grow too! so i've been taking care of my since the end of jan. My hair grew so much but I let some edward scissorhand mess me up and she gave me a blow out and honestly i hated how much product she placed in my hair to maintain it. it felt HEAVY. i'm so happy i type in scab hair and found this forum. i found others but this is the forum for me. where curlies unite. anyway still growing out my scab hair ( i know some believe it some dont i just look at as a title). i heard it takes a year to get the good stuff to come in. so jan is going to be where my hardwork and i will not cut my hair until it reaches bsl. sorry for the life story i'm just happy i found yall. i always say this if anyone found mistakes with my regimen or im using bad products let me know. i research all advice and make my decision i just like to hear honest input.

ok my reggie isnt really a reggie i just go with the flow but my hair hardly sheds ( only if i mess with when wet) and grew the most it has ever grown over 6 months but this is what i want to be my reggie

cowash 3 to 4x a week

clarify every 2 weeks

shampoo every 2 weeks
    (ntm shampoo)

leave in daily
    (ntm leave in)

baggy whenever i feel like it probably 3x month. i just have a problem with the whole baggying theory
    (evoo)

i always take prenatal vitamins --trying to work out at least 3x wk but would to everyday---i use shea butter and plan on purchasing coconut oil

Coconut oil is AMAZING! Definitely go for it! I have the organic cold pressed (I think? Don't have the bottle in front of me atm). There are so many awesome uses for this (hair and body!) and does so well for hair that I have no idea why more people don't use it! Having it in other products is only okay, but by itself it's godly!

I have been doing some research on ayurveda and it's different usages. It can help with hair growth as far as retention, dandruff, growth and split ends.

Here was one web page I came across while researching
    http://ayurveda.ygoy.com/2008/07/31/herbal-remedies-to-grow-hair/

Very cool link! I will read up on it later, bookmarked!

I would post an exact reggie but often my products and treatments get rotated so much and I just like going with the flow depending on what my hair needs, it always varies. If I have a special occasion I'll straighten, or if I feel my hair can handle it for a day that's cool but that's about the only limit I am putting on myself. Last week I straightened and HOLY COW was it plain and boring! And to think I actually paid good money to get it permanently relaxed ten months ago :angry3:. Ah well, we live and learn I suppose! I know for sure I will continue to document my growth progress in my Fotki, just as I did while I have been growing out the last of my relaxer.

What are everyone's eventual goals, even if it takes more than two years? Where would you ideally be if you could?

Mine would be midback wurly. I have NO CLUE how long that will take, probably longer than two years that's for sure! I'm really enjoying reading everyone's thoughts here, it's really inspiring! Keep it coming! :)

I've been trying to come up with a reggie so that's still in the works. It will probably change sometimes over the next two years. My ultimate goal is to have mbl or wl curly HEALTHY hair. I'm going to attempt not to put any heat on it for the next two years and not wear my ends out.

I have a question... does anyone do deep DEEP oil treatments with coconut oil?
  • PrettycurlsPrettycurls Posts: 1,482Registered Users
    I've been trying to come up with a reggie so that's still in the works. It will probably change sometimes over the next two years. My ultimate goal is to have mbl or wl curly HEALTHY hair. I going to attempt not to put any heat on it for the next two years and not wear my ends out.

Tried to send you a message but can't...
    Have:
    4a Tailbone

http://members.fotki.com/Prettycurls/about/ pw:curlspretty

• OnyxK.OnyxK. Posts: 157Registered Users
    I've been trying to come up with a reggie so that's still in the works. It will probably change sometimes over the next two years. My ultimate goal is to have mbl or wl curly HEALTHY hair. I going to attempt not to put any heat on it for the next two years and not wear my ends out.

umm... i think i do. i use neem ans coconut oil on my scalp then coconut oil/conditioner on the hair itself. leave on for a few hrs and shampoo.

OH! im jumping on the band wagon!:toothy8:
    4a/b-whatever! with a twa
    hair properties: fine,porous,dense
    :blob7: SheaMoisture Coconut hibiscus Line:blob7:
  • OnyxK.OnyxK. Posts: 157Registered Users
    i don't want to compare my hair length to straight hair.

i want it to be out to my shoulders, an even healthy length.
    then a fro so big i block people at the movies.

my regimen for now:
    -no heat, just banding if need be.
    -mostly natural products.
    -keep up the protein/moisture balance
    -dont cut my hair for any reason
    -scalp treatments

gl all:wave:
    :wav:
    4a/b-whatever! with a twa
    hair properties: fine,porous,dense
    :blob7: SheaMoisture Coconut hibiscus Line:blob7:

Tried to send you a message but can't...

Really? I don't know why I can't receive messages. I have to check my settings
    Yay!:wave:
  • chrissa06chrissa06 Posts: 20Registered Users
    Im in!! ive been growing my hair out for a few months now so this sounds perfect... ill post the routine i plan on following and all that good stuff later today hopefully!! ;-)
    3b*normal porosity*fine
    currently- between SL & APL while curly
    goal- BSL & beyond
    growing out since 06/10
    also trying to go cold turkey on heat<
    no heat since 06/10

allme89 wrote: »

cowash 3 to 4x a week

clarify every 2 weeks

shampoo every 2 weeks
    (ntm shampoo)

leave in daily
    (ntm leave in)

(evoo)

Coconut oil is AMAZING! Definitely go for it! I have the organic cold pressed (I think? Don't have the bottle in front of me atm). There are so many awesome uses for this (hair and body!) and does so well for hair that I have no idea why more people don't use it! Having it in other products is only okay, but by itself it's godly!

yeah people give rave reviews!
    12.75in.----4a----NTM junkie----homemade products addict---prenatal vitamins pill popper---mother of 3---21 yo house girlfriend---from the lonestarstate

I'm going to add everyone to my fotki that is participating
    Ill join to 2! I wanna prove to the people around me that black hair can grow!
    i just joined Fotki as well, and ill be putting up some picks for monthly progress :)

lol!!! yes i know what u mean! i cut my hair off bald in 2006 my cousin who is mixed said black girls hair doesnt grow it's the biggest mistake of my life! it grew back longer within 1yr. i was like yeah. but i slacked on my hair and abused it so i cut it the total of three times since 2006. and when i say cut i mean clippers

• pretebrowneyespretebrowneyes Posts: 248Registered Users
    OHHH! Can I join in!?!?! :toothy8:

Alright...here's my story. I relaxed my hair and cut off all of my highlights and color in November 2008. I had one more perm for my brother's wedding in January 2009 and that was my last relaxer. This is my 3rd time on the curly train...and I have to admit, I've been disappointed in myself lately for not following through the other times. Do you know how long, healthy and curly my hair would be if I hadn't permed it ever again after 1999????

But I digress. I'm trying to have patience and will my hair to grow. I just want nice, APL to BSL hair. My hair has never been that long and I'd love to see it. Here's my current reggie...I doubt I'll be changing it, my hair is in love :love1:.
    • Pre-poo with Vatika oil/Africa's Best Herbal oil and section hair
    • Wash once a week with diluted Burt's Bees Brazil Nut and Raspberry shampoo...in sections w/ an applicator bottle
    • condition and detangle with HE LTR, rinse
    • Ayurvedic paste left on for an hour (amla, brahmi, fenugreek, coconut milk, hot water), rinse
    • Deep condition with GVP Conditioning Balm for an hour or overnight, rinse
    • Suave Naturals condish as a leave-in, seal with Vatika oil and TWIST!!!
    I've been slacking on my fish oil pills so I need to get back on those and a multi-vitamin...maybe check out those GNC Ultranourish vitamins. Good luck ladies!!!
    *MopTop Maven Healthy Hair Challenge 2011*:wave:

PrePoo- EVOO
    LowPoo- Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap bar
    Shampoo- ORS Creamy Aloe
    Clarifying poo- Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo
    DC- GVP Conditioning Balm
    PT- GVP K-Pak reconstructor
    Leave in- Giovanni Direct leave-in *with kimmaytube recipe*
    Moisturizer- water+aloe vera juice+castor oil+jojoba oil spritz
    Sealant- jojoba oil

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list