First time hair dye, I want blackish--hendigo?

nezumikiriqnezumikiriq Posts: 149Registered Users
I've never dyed my hair before. My natural color is dark brown--like, the kind that when i say 'i want to dye my hair black' my friends go 'dude, your hair is already black'. In bright snlight when it's curly it gets a reddish tinge (not ginger red---m,aybe auburn)

Anywayz, i'm twelve and going natural after a year of straightening (before that i had the brushed out mess for years) I turn 13 next month a few days after i start eighth grade. I asked my parents about dying my hair black before and they said no because they think for some reason I'm just trying to be goth or emo :|
that was permanent stuff that's danaging though

Okay, sorry for the lenghth. basically, for my birthday i know i'm gonna have 20 dollars or up (probably more) and imma ask to dye my hair. I don't want anything damaging or too heavy--my hair is fine and dry.

Here are my questions:

1. People talk about henna and indigo dye. I understand that henna does a reddish brown, but i don't want to be a ginger (no offense). What is indigo? Is it something else natural, or is it just supposed to be indigo colored hair dye?

2. Where the heck could i find this crap and how much would it be?

3. I'm pretty sure i read that its permanent, does it fade or anything? Also, if i decide i don't want to do it anymore, does it look bad not to do your root touch ups? Is it somethign that would be looked down upon?

4. How do you do it? do you indigo first, wash it out, then henna? or vice versa? Or do you just mix it in the first place?

5. Will it loosen my curl? I'm a 3a i think and some shorter parts are 3b, and my ends can be 3bish sometimes. I don't want any loosening :P

6. Is it bad for your hair at all, would it cause frizz? Or weigh it down? (the last cut thinned my hair :P i wish they hadn't, so i'm sensitive and prone to frizz and weighing down) Also, does it change anything shine wise?

7. So if my hair is a dark brown already (slightly lightened from sun, and i always use honey and occasionally lemons but i haven't noticed anything) what will my outcome be? What should i do to make the results either as balck as possible, or with a blueish tinge or something?

thanks everybody!

btw, i'm prolly gettin my hair cut before school, hopefully a deva cut but if not, at least an actual curly cut. I don't want to dye before school too, because then people might assume i went to get my hair colored and also permed :P dang. So how long will this take? If i dyed it on a friday afternoon would my hair be back in shape for school by the monday?
I'm 15 now but I don't get on often so I may be 67 by the time you read this.
My name is Sarah.
I come on here when I want hair advice because if you type in "curly hair" anywhere, all you get is advice on how to curl it. I used to get on here a lot when I was like, 12 or 13 (and first figuring out how to stop straightening my hair without being bullied), so if you happen to see some older posts of mine, shh. No judging.

Comments

• CurlyToastCurlyToast Posts: 579Registered Users
    I've never dyed my hair before. My natural color is dark brown--like, the kind that when i say 'i want to dye my hair black' my friends go 'dude, your hair is already black'. In bright snlight when it's curly it gets a reddish tinge (not ginger red---m,aybe auburn)

Anywayz, i'm twelve and going natural after a year of straightening (before that i had the brushed out mess for years) I turn 13 next month a few days after i start eighth grade. I asked my parents about dying my hair black before and they said no because they think for some reason I'm just trying to be goth or emo :|
    that was permanent stuff that's danaging though

Okay, sorry for the lenghth. basically, for my birthday i know i'm gonna have 20 dollars or up (probably more) and imma ask to dye my hair. I don't want anything damaging or too heavy--my hair is fine and dry.

Here are my questions:

1. People talk about henna and indigo dye. I understand that henna does a reddish brown, but i don't want to be a ginger (no offense). What is indigo? Is it something else natural, or is it just supposed to be indigo colored hair dye?

2. Where the heck could i find this crap and how much would it be?

3. I'm pretty sure i read that its permanent, does it fade or anything? Also, if i decide i don't want to do it anymore, does it look bad not to do your root touch ups? Is it somethign that would be looked down upon?

4. How do you do it? do you indigo first, wash it out, then henna? or vice versa? Or do you just mix it in the first place?

5. Will it loosen my curl? I'm a 3a i think and some shorter parts are 3b, and my ends can be 3bish sometimes. I don't want any loosening :P

6. Is it bad for your hair at all, would it cause frizz? Or weigh it down? (the last cut thinned my hair :P i wish they hadn't, so i'm sensitive and prone to frizz and weighing down) Also, does it change anything shine wise?

7. So if my hair is a dark brown already (slightly lightened from sun, and i always use honey and occasionally lemons but i haven't noticed anything) what will my outcome be? What should i do to make the results either as balck as possible, or with a blueish tinge or something?

thanks everybody!

btw, i'm prolly gettin my hair cut before school, hopefully a deva cut but if not, at least an actual curly cut. I don't want to dye before school too, because then people might assume i went to get my hair colored and also permed :P dang. So how long will this take? If i dyed it on a friday afternoon would my hair be back in shape for school by the monday?

1. Indigo is another plant. It's dye is a dark blue, and it was originally used to dye denim. You have 2 options with hendigo (henna + indigo): a dark, dark brown with red highlights if you do a single process, or blue black if you do a double.

2. mehandi.com sells it for about $7.50/100g. How much you will need depends on whether you're doing a single or double process, and how long your hair is. Medium-length hair (shoulder, medium thickness) will probably take 150-200g in a double process). The henna I use is about $9.50 for 100 grams. So if you double process, and have shoulder-length hair of medium thickness, figure on about $30-35USD for the initial application. Henna is natural, and probably less-damaging than chemical color, but it is not cheap, comparatively.

3. Henna and hendigo are permanent. There is no considerable fading (in fact, I've never experienced any fading at all). Whether or not you'll have to do root touch-ups is a personal decision based on how close your natural color is to the hendigo'd color, and you own tolerance for visible root growth. I don't understand what you mean by "will it be looked down upon [to not touch-up your roots]" since, as far as I know, there is no henna canon that determines acceptable practice. Know that if you don't like it, you will be stuck with it; and bleaching indigo can often leave a green or blue cast to hair, as it is quite bleach-resistant.

4. As I alluded, you can do a single or double process. Single process, where you mix the henna and indigo together and apply one mixture to your head (please see hennaforhair.com for instructions), will typically yield a soft black/deeeeeeep brown color that will have red highlights in the sun, etc. Double process requires mixing up a batch of henna and applying that, first, in a complete henna process, and then going back and applying the indigo as a separate process. Double process will give you a blue-black.

5. It can loosen curl. Many people (myself included) experience a temporary reduction in curl / general hair freak-out which rights itself after a week or 2; for others, the relaxation seems to be more permanent. Note that if you fall into the latter category, you won't really be able to do anything but grow it out.

6. Some stylists (my last one included) hate henna for a variety of reasons including build-up and dryness. I've never had a problem with it, and I think my hair is in much better shape hennaing than it would be with any of my other color options. It also reduces frizz for many (self-included), and it adds shine like nobody's business.

7. Double process will get you the blue black, but nobody can tell you exactly what the results will be with henna. Strand test to make sure you like the outcome, because it you don't . . .

etc. -- It depends on your definition of "back in shape", plus your hair's particular response to being hendigo'd, and your tolerance for whatever shape your hair might therefore be in. Time-wise, whether I hendigo (single process) or straight henna, I always sleep in it. But you have to factor in additional time for dye release (12 hours for me, the henna I use, and the temperature), plus additional indigo application if you double process (the indigo portion only takes, I believe, a few hours; and indigo does not require dye release). And I'd personally spend less time thinking about what my classmates might think about my hair, and more time determining if all of the above is tolerable, but that's just me.
  • nezumikiriqnezumikiriq Posts: 149Registered Users
    Dang, thanks for all your help, but now i feel bad
    after knowing all that I'm deciding I probably won't because
    1. If it's permanent my parents might not let me do it.
    2. I kinda wanted after a point to bleach a few highlights and then dye them with manic panic
    3. I read on the site that if you don't do a touch up sometimes the indigo fades and leaves you with more red from henna.

Sorry, but thatnks for all the information.

One more thing though, if you were to dye it with the indigo (over my dark brown hair) without the henna, what color would it be? or if i bleached a bit, and then put the indigo, would that be a passible color?
    My name is Sarah.
    I come on here when I want hair advice because if you type in "curly hair" anywhere, all you get is advice on how to curl it. I used to get on here a lot when I was like, 12 or 13 (and first figuring out how to stop straightening my hair without being bullied), so if you happen to see some older posts of mine, shh. No judging.
    The indigo basically needs the henna to bond with, so if you don't henna prior to dying with indigo, on very dark hair, you'd most likely get a very fade-prone blue-ish (or even slightly green-ish) highlight. I know that indigo is a pretty . . . fragile (for wont of a better word) dye on hair. I almost feel like it wouldn't be worth the additional cost of indigo just to get a most likely fleeting blue-ish tinge -- especially when special effects colors like Manic Panic/etc. are so readily available that can do basically the same thing.

And it's no problem. I absolutely love henna, but it's not right for everyone in every situation -- if my experiences and whatever I know about it can help someone make that decision *before* they get into it, that's awesome.

In my opinion, if you've got parental pressure, issues with permanence, and think you might want to change things up in the not-too-distant future, henna is probably not the best idea right now. It's really never (again: my opinion) a good temporary solution, period, because it *is* quite difficult to remove/change.

If you need something non-permanent and cheap, have you considered checking Sally's (are you in the US?) for some semi-perm colors? I believe they also sell semi-perm special effects colors, and their prices are beyond reasonable -- I think they're actually really cheap.
    I aske dmy mom about it earlier when she was in a good mood, but she's just like 'i don't know--your hair is pretty' (my family makes sure to let me know they think my hair is great jsut so that i won't spend so much time on it..)
    I like the color but i want to stand out as someone who looks a bit different, and without being able to have the clothes i want, i want to do this with hair :(

I am in the US but I've never seen a Sally's. There's a beauty salon fairly near my house and I recently found an Ulta, but i'll have to look up sally's.

But someone on here told me that even a semi-permanent black dye might as well be permanent because it stains. I probably shouldn't tell my mom that, but if you don't mind answering a couple more questions,
    What's a non-damaging blue-black dye, and how much bleach would i need to lighten that enough to later put in some manic panic highlights? (I was thinking about painting individual curls blue, purple, grren, or red)

I'm off to google to see if there's a sally's near me.
    My name is Sarah.
    A semi- or demi-permanent color would be your least damaging options. As for brands, I can't really say because everyone's hair reacts differently. I have used and really liked Wella Color Charms.

If your hair is naturally quite dark, it would probably take a proper bleaching process to lift it to the point that your bright streaks would be, well, bright. Coloring it black *first* and then going back later to bleach and streak will be more difficult -- i.e. you won't get as much lift as virgin hair -- but should also be accomplishable with a bleach.

You're young, and you haven't colored before, and those things in confluence lead me to suggest that the path of least resistance might be your best option. Why not just proceed directly to the streaks, rather than throwing in another color process that you already know you want to reverse?
    I guess I should just do that, but i thought that crazy colors wou;d look bad on brown for soem reason..... is that wrong?
    My name is Sarah.
    I think crazy colors would look just as good on dark brown hair as they would on inky hair :)

The only difference for me would be keeping the crazy colors in the same color temperature as your hair -- but then I am admittedly neurotic about a very few things (this apparently being one of them) and the whole point of crazy colors is, after all, to be crazy. So go for it!
    Sweet. Now to get some blue or green manic panic.....maybe painting individual curls? if only i could trust my ahir to curl the same each time.

Thanks for everything!

If you check this again though (sorry just another question haha) i always wondered, when dying your hair, how do you get the roots without getting your scalp? Wouldn't it stain your scalp if it got on it? I mean with highlights or something in the back i can't see a problem but ifyou were dyeing your whole head, seems like it would make your part (where you can see the scalp) look weird.

i dunno.
    My name is Sarah.
    It can stain a little (color), but the color doesn't last as long on skin. Plus, you apply right up to the scalp, but don't massage the color into the scalp, so you don't really get as much on there as you'd think, unless you're henn-ing. With highlights, because they're bleach, there is no color-deposition and therefore no staining. But if you're going to be getting close to your scalp you should use a bleach that's safe for on-scalp applications, so you don't get burned (highlighting/frosting kits sold at drug stores typically are), though you don't want to mash that into your scalp, either.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file