How can I thicken runny foundation?

CurlyCowgirlyCurlyCowgirly Registered Users Posts: 299 Curl Neophyte
I use Avon's Anew Age-Transforming Foundation and while I love it, I find it somewhat runny for full-coverage needs...is there a way I can thicken it with something that won't create acne? Like cornstarch or aloe vera or something?
TIA :mrgreen:
Low/Med porosity, very fine, low/med elasticity & density, 3A
AKA hard to work with hair!

Low-Poo: Kenra Volumizing shampoo, AG Fast Food shampoo
CO: AG Ultramoist, AO GPB, Nature's Gate Aloe Vera
Gel: GFCC mousse, HETT, Aquage Megagel
Also: Aloe Vera juice or Alba Leave-in. Weekly ACV rinse.
Wishlist: YTC low-poo, Elucence poo, Bioterra Curl Creme, AGEbeautiful Strengthening trtment, SS Repairing Protein Trtment, LuxyHair ext's

Comments

• The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    I use Avon's Anew Age-Transforming Foundation and while I love it, I find it somewhat runny for full-coverage needs...is there a way I can thicken it with something that won't create acne? Like cornstarch or aloe vera or something?
    TIA :mrgreen:
    I dont think so.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    i wouldn't even try it!

just buy something with better coverage. or use a foundation brush with it and add more where needed.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • CupcakesAndCurlsCupcakesAndCurls Registered Users Posts: 11
    Try Warming it up in your hands. Put a little on your finger then rub it into your face.
    Usually by the warmth of your hands it makes runny founations easier to blend and obtain more coverage.

I usually don't suggest AVON foundations for full coverage.

If you are looking for inexpensive FULL coverage try a DS brand such as Revlon Colorstay or Superstay Foundation by maybelline
  • CurlyCowgirlyCurlyCowgirly Registered Users Posts: 299 Curl Neophyte
    rouquinne wrote: »
    i wouldn't even try it!

just buy something with better coverage. or use a foundation brush with it and add more where needed.

Problem is I'm trying to cover a birthmark. Plus I have to wear sunscreen on my mark, so that makes the makeup greasy/thinner. Even though this Anew foundation is runny, it's one of the best foundations I've used since I started putting makeup on my birthmark 11 years ago, and equally important, it doesn't make me break out. (I've tried Dermablend, Coverblend, etc...they're either too red or too yellowy for my skintone.) It's either Anew for $16 or $42 on DiorSkin every 3-4 mos. So I guess I'm kinda stuck. :(

Thanks though!!
    PS. I use a foundation brush--couldnt live without it ;)

Wishlist: YTC low-poo, Elucence poo, Bioterra Curl Creme, AGEbeautiful Strengthening trtment, SS Repairing Protein Trtment, LuxyHair ext's
  • rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    how long are you waiting in between putting on the sunscreen and putting on the foundation?
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • fskatergirlfskatergirl Registered Users Posts: 244 Curl Novice
    I've seen people on youtube thicken foundation by mixing in a tiny bit of Vaseline, that seemed to really work. However, I don't know how good of an idea that is...I don't think I'd want to try it, I'd break out like crazy!

Is there a way you could get better coverage by layering? Perhaps applying the sunscreen, a powder-foundation (to sop up some of the sunscreen grease), and then the foundation over-top? If you need more coverage you could just apply even more layers of powder and then foundation?
  • CurlyCowgirlyCurlyCowgirly Registered Users Posts: 299 Curl Neophyte
    If you are looking for inexpensive FULL coverage try a DS brand such as Revlon Colorstay or Superstay Foundation by maybelline
    I'll have to check and see if I've tried those. There was a maybelline foundation I tried that made me break out terribly. Thanks for the tip!
    rouquinne wrote: »
    how long are you waiting in between putting on the sunscreen and putting on the foundation?
    I apply SPF, wait a couple minutes, powder the area w/ a powder foundation, wait a few more minutes. Then I apply my AVON foundation. So all-in-all, about 5 minutes.
    I've seen people on youtube thicken foundation by mixing in a tiny bit of Vaseline, that seemed to really work. However, I don't know how good of an idea that is...I don't think I'd want to try it, I'd break out like crazy!

Is there a way you could get better coverage by layering? Perhaps applying the sunscreen, a powder-foundation (to sop up some of the sunscreen grease), and then the foundation over-top? If you need more coverage you could just apply even more layers of powder and then foundation?

I'd think Vaseline would make it more greasy and uneven...interesting. Same here--I'd probably break out over time. Yes, I layer sunscreen to powder foundation to foundation. It definitely helps! However, if I layer too much it gets cakey and the makeup gets difficult & uneven to spread.

Here's a thought...
    There's talc in some makeups, so what if I mixed in some talc powder??

Thanks for all your suggestions!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file