My road to whirly hair...

GirlSailorGirlSailor Posts: 45Registered Users
Well, it has been interesting these last couple months as I have attempted to make the transition to a CG regimen. The stages have been unpredictable, surprising, fun, and at times frustrating. :banghead:

I guess it was the first week of June when I started after a friend and mine were chatting and she told me she was going for her first curly-hair hair cut and how she had discovered the Deva Line.

I was so psyched to hear what she had to say because for about three years I have been trying to wear my hair wavy occasionally because there was wave in the back. I kept asking my hairdressers but none of the them explained the -cone issue, or any of the many curly-specific care issues.

I started with the Deva line because I could get a travel size of the no-poo, conditioner, and two styling products. I was amazed in a week how much wavier how there were even waves in the front - Amazing!

Fast forward...I have branched out to include the Suave Naturals Coconut Cond. for Cowash, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink], and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink], a line by Tints of Nature from Whole Foods, I had Aveda's 'be curly', MOP products that I had already been using. I have done a few Baking Soda and ACV rinses. As well, have deep conditioned twice with Deva's, "Heaven in Hair".

I have been plopping and using duck bill clips and other clips for my crown. Scrunching, doing the Ice Queen Method, using a flour sack towel.

The first month was fairly good, but the second month in July was not fun.

I actually got very frustrated a week and a half ago and finally brushed my hair out while it was dry because it was driving me crazy, and I used a sulphate shampoo again. I wore my hair kind of straight that week. I also used a mousse which I think had some -cones in it or something. I have had the can for years...Sebastian's 'evokativ' curvaceous mousse.

So I hadn't given up completely but I was frustrated!

Then this week I co-washed with my Suave, went five days without poo washing or lowpooing, and then today I did a sulphate poo, Suave Coconut Cond. and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink], with a little [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink] leave in...it is drying and I think it is the curliest it has ever been...so back on the band wagon. I was reading the board while it was drying so maybe that is the trick! ;)

Will say, though, that we have had more rain in the last week, since having a drought here in North Carolina for the last few weeks and extremely hot temperatures in the 100s some days. I have been in air conditioning when not dodging the oppressive heat. Of course when cowashing I noticed that the Suave bottle said the conditioner is full of humectrants...bingo! I think I had been using it when it was dry weather and I shouldn't have been...

So my challenges right now that I am researching is do I use proteins instead of humectrants when it is so dry outside? The weather here has been insane, hot, dry one day, humid the next. Exactly how porous is my hair and what is it's condition exactly...and is it protein loving or not?

I have tried to go a'natural with my color but I caved today and bought some 28 day Natural Instincts color non-permanent color.

I will post some pictures if I get my act together.

I want to buy Lorraine Masey's book, 'Curly Girl' book, but we are getting ready to move and I am trying to get rid of books...wondering if I am just as well just sticking close by to this forum and researching here or if the book would be worth the read.

So that is where I am at the moment. Here's to continual good hair days ahead :pirat:

Comments

• plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    GirlSailor wrote: »

I want to buy Lorraine Masey's book, 'Curly Girl' book, but we are getting ready to move and I am trying to get rid of books...wondering if I am just as well just sticking close by to this forum and researching here or if the book would be worth the read.

Check your local library. I got my copy to read there. It's small and easy to read and you don't need to check it out that long. Although I haven't read it, though I have read the site, Tiffany (aka Struttswife on nc.com) has an e-book. Her website is livecurlylivefree.com I think.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• GirlSailorGirlSailor Posts: 45Registered Users
    Thanks Plunky! I will try the library. I have donated about 350 books to them recently. Just realizing that I don't have to have a library in my house.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file