How Old Is Too Old To Go To Beauty School?

whirlyhairwhirlyhair Posts: 194Registered Users
I am currently 19, and in 7 months, I'll be 20. I hope that by this upcoming Fall, I'll be able to go to a very good beauty school (the upscale kind, not the cheap community college kind.) to become a professional Cosmetologist. I am a little worried because it seems that a lot of girls seem to go to college, or in my case, beauty schools straight after high school so there will be a bunch of younger girls, I'm afraid. :( When is it too old to go to beauty school nowadays? Thanks...
CG since 3/11/2012

Engaged. :love5: Wedding date: 02/26/2016

Type 2C (Botticelli according to Curly Girl: The Handbook)
iii Density
Medium-Coarse Texture
Normal Porosity
Normal Elasticity
HATES: Traditional sulfates/cones.
LOVES: Lots of moisture and homemade FSG! :love10:
(Many thanks to http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/ for helping me figure out my texture, porosity, and elasticity properties! Check them out sometime!)

Comments

• yv0nneyv0nne Posts: 372Registered Users
    You what.. took one year off after you graduated? A year or two or three isn't going to make some huge generational gap between you and the average age of the students there lol
    You shouldn't waste your energy worrying about that!
    HalfPastWonderful

Today was the day that I put everything in perspective!
    I fell asleep, when I woke up, everything changed.*--
  • whirlyhairwhirlyhair Posts: 194Registered Users
    yv0nne wrote: »
    You what.. took one year off after you graduated? A year or two or three isn't going to make some huge generational gap between you and the average age of the students there lol
    You shouldn't waste your energy worrying about that!

My financial situation is far from perfect and I'm currently dependent on my parents for everything. :( I took a year off after my high school graduation to take a break and to also think about what I wanted to do... and so, I want to do cosmetology.

I just don't want to feel out of place, is all. :/
    CG since 3/11/2012

iii Density
    Medium-Coarse Texture
    Normal Porosity
    Normal Elasticity
    (Many thanks to http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/ for helping me figure out my texture, porosity, and elasticity properties! Check them out sometime!)
  • yv0nneyv0nne Posts: 372Registered Users
    Most people going into some type of post secondary education that isn't 100% paid for, and even if it is, are not exactly financially stable aha
    You'll fit right in with the rest of the students ;)

You won't feel out of place .. don't over think it! Just realize you're going to learn and have fun at the same time. You'll make friends and learn lots while you're attending the school!
    HalfPastWonderful

Today was the day that I put everything in perspective!
    I fell asleep, when I woke up, everything changed.*--
    Thank you so much, I'll keep this in mind! :D
    CG since 3/11/2012

iii Density
    Medium-Coarse Texture
    Normal Porosity
    Normal Elasticity
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    whirlyhair wrote: »
    I am currently 19, and in 7 months, I'll be 20. I hope that by this upcoming Fall, I'll be able to go to a very good beauty school (the upscale kind, not the cheap community college kind.) to become a professional Cosmetologist. I am a little worried because it seems that a lot of girls seem to go to college, or in my case, beauty schools straight after high school so there will be a bunch of younger girls, I'm afraid. :( When is it too old to go to beauty school nowadays? Thanks...
    If your age begins with a 1 or a 2, it's not too old (to do most things including going to beauty school). Worry much?
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
    Phoenix wrote: »
    Worry much?

:confused1: Huh?
    CG since 3/11/2012

iii Density
    Medium-Coarse Texture
    Normal Porosity
    Normal Elasticity
  • fig jamfig jam Posts: 2,555Registered Users
    IMO, you are never too old to start anything that you want to do. I was 40 when I started my doctoral program, and I was an average of 15 years older than the average student. And you know what? It was a huge advantage in every way.
    "Tell me, are you incapable of restraining yourself, or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?"

"Honey Badger don't care!"
    fig jam wrote: »
    IMO, you are never too old to start anything that you want to do. I was 40 when I started my doctoral program, and I was an average of 15 years older than the average student. And you know what? It was a huge advantage in every way.

That's really awesome! :D Like I said, though, I really would like to make new friends and I want to be able to mentally be on the same page as other students...
    CG since 3/11/2012

iii Density
    Medium-Coarse Texture
    Normal Porosity
    Normal Elasticity
  • fig jamfig jam Posts: 2,555Registered Users
    I'm sure you will be able to make friends there -- there are bound to be some folks that you relate to. Even I found students who were my age (or older!) at school, and really found some good friends who just happened to be younger.

When you're pursuing the same goal, you are bound to have something in common.
    "Tell me, are you incapable of restraining yourself, or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?"

"Honey Badger don't care!"
    Thank you, fig jam, I feel much better. :)
    CG since 3/11/2012

iii Density
    Medium-Coarse Texture
    Normal Porosity
    Normal Elasticity
  • newcurlynewcurly Posts: 1,310Registered Users
    When I read the title, I assumed you were in your forties or fifties and nervous about potentially starting a new career and going to school for it.

I honestly think that the only way you're ever "too old" for school is when you are taking on debt to pay for it and won't work enough to pay it off after you finish. Even then, who am I to judge?

In summary - a year is nothing, go for it!
    "Well I love that dirty water. Oh, Boston, you're my home!"
  • riotkittyriotkitty Posts: 1,307Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If your age begins with a 1 or a 2, it's not too old (to do most things including going to beauty school). Worry much?

LOL no kidding. Don't worry, you have plenty of time. I went back to college at 22 after having a job for two years. I finished at 26. Sometimes I think about going back for a higher degree.
    Have several allergies and sensitivities.
    Current products
    Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)
    Rinse out/Leave in: MB with apricot kernel and jojoba oils added
    Protein Treatment: MB Conditioner for Thinning Hair, IAgirl's protien treatment
    Style: MB Gel mixed with LOTD Aloe Vera Gelly

2b-c, need lots of moisture, likes protein in moderation.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,182Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hi Whirlyhair,

I think it is a valid question because at your age it seems as if a year or two difference is a big deal, but although I understand why you are asking, I think it's really important to pursue whatever career interests you and put any issue of age difference aside. It's unlikely to make a difference and what's much more important is that you study something interesting and fulfilling to you. I don't mean to sound preachy - but an interest and talent for a creative career like cosmetology is a gift. Go for it!

All the best,

Maybe you'll do my makeup one day and make me look gorgeous :toothy4:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:

_ 1000! I just read this quote and I thought it's great!
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    There's no such thing as too old for anything you want to do regarding education. 20, 30, 40 or 90! Go for it.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,709Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I'm 53 and if I wanted to go to beauty school, I'd go and wouldn't care if everyone else in class was 14.
    Go, learn, enjoy, graduate, get a job doing something you like doing. No-brainer.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    I'm 53 and if I wanted to go to beauty school, I'd go and wouldn't care if everyone else in class was 14.
    Go, learn, enjoy, graduate, get a job doing something you like doing. No-brainer.

Good for you Jeep! Absolutely right.
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    No offense, but at your age there's not a lot that you are too old for.

Seriously, no matter your age, your never too old to do something that makes you happy.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,709Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    cympreni wrote: »
    No offense, but at your age there's not a lot that you are too old for.

Seriously, no matter your age, your never too old to do something that makes you happy.

Much better said than the way I said it. Mine was definitely 'grouchy old lady' speech. : )
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

Same here. I'm 48 and I still think I might go to beauty school someday. I'm very interested in becoming an esthetician, and I don't feel too old for it.

I went to nursing school at 29...and I was FAR from being the oldest in my class (some of my classmates were in their upper 50's).

OP, you're never too old to learn.
  • roseannadanaroseannadana Posts: 5,633Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sorry but at 19, your life is really over and you have totally missed any opportunities. :mrgreen: j/k

You're never too young or old to pursue a new endeavor! You'll fit in with all the students well and you will be surprised how many older students (much older than you) are there.

Best of luck to you!

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.
  • KikapooKikapoo Posts: 1,087Registered Users
    I'm sure you will be able to make friends there -- there are bound to be some folks that you relate to. Even I found students who were my age (or older!) at school, and really found some good friends who just happened to be younger.

Exactly--my best work friends are 53 and 62 years old...I'm 25. We have a great time, and have tons to talk about.
    Kikapoo wrote: »

Exactly--my best work friends are 53 and 62 years old...I'm 25. We have a great time, and have tons to talk about.

That makes me happy. Many of my friends are younger than I am - some of them 25 years younger - and we are still great friends and fool around a lot together. I once asked my favorite boss how come he was still so youthful and he said: "Immaturity - it keeps me young." :cheers:
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Worry much?

:confused1: Huh?
    Hee, everyone pretty much said what I'd say. No offense, but it sounds like an irrational worry.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    Definitely not too old. My best friend from high school went to beauty school at 29. She already had her bachelor's degree. My next door neighbor is in her 30s and is starting beauty school this fall.

You'll have a blast!
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • KikapooKikapoo Posts: 1,087Registered Users
    curlypearl wrote: »
    Kikapoo wrote: »

That makes me happy. Many of my friends are younger than I am - some of them 25 years younger - and we are still great friends and fool around a lot together. I once asked my favorite boss how come he was still so youthful and he said: "Immaturity - it keeps me young." :cheers:

I'm telling you, it has nothing to do with age, it's all about the person! I should say, the one woman is actually 63--she had a birthday last week. And we just hit it off immediately!
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I went to beauty school at the ripe old age of 22. Heck, I was the same age as one of my teachers. It's no big deal. One of my fellow students was 26, another had a son. There will be people from all ages and situations. You don't go to beauty school to develop long term relationships, you go for the education and contacts. Be pleasant, a team player, and learn.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • WillowWillow Posts: 46Registered Users
    I am 35 and just finished beauty school a year or so ago. There were people of all ages there. Don't worry about it at all. In fact, I estimate that over half the people I went to school with were over 25. Quite a few of us were in our 30's or older.
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users Curl Novice
    Nothing to worry about. Thats normal in further education. At university our class ages ranged from 19- 26. Everyone got along fine. Its only in school you keep friends the exact same age as you- as you get older you'll make friends and get on well with people of all ages.
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You're not too old - heck, you'll probably be seen as more knowledgeable and experienced!

I'm 48 and will start a 200 hr yoga teacher training program in September. Probably most of the other students will be in their 20s. The way I look at it, they might have some increased flexibility on their side - but I've got perspective, self-knowledge and the wisdom that comes from being more-seasoned on my side!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file