CurlTalk

sulfates = more shedding?

Has anybody switched from mod CG or CG and used sulfates -- I've been using Ouidad's clear and gentle shampoo (only a few times) and I feel like I have a lot of shedding for some reason. I don't know if it's just me or the shampoo or what it is -- any advice? If I can't figure it out, I think I may need cut it out of my routine and go back on CG.
3b/a
Cowash - No Poo
Conditioner - One Condition
Gel - Light Defining Gel

Looking to try Devacurl Decadence line next! Can't wait to try it.

Comments

• yogawavesyogawaves Posts: 368Registered Users
    It seems like when I stick with the Jessicul gls and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Aloeba-Daily-Conditioner-p-104.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-aloeba-daily-conditioner]aloeba[/buylink] , I have way less shedding. when I switched for a short time to sulfates, I had heavy shedding again. I think it's the sulfates too. I don't hyave any luck with any styling products though. they seem to make me shed more too. I did use magick botanicals hair gel, just about a little less than dime size ammount and it seems to work.
    yogawaves, formerly known as yogagirl
  • hockeymomof3hockeymomof3 Posts: 2,159Registered Users
    Thanks for the input! I was using Jessicurl too, prior to using sulfates...maybe it's because JC is so gentle and I didn't have the shedding that I switched to something harsh, causing more shedding...I don't think I want any more shedding and there isn't anything different in my life (trauma, etc.) that would cause excess shedding so I have to believe that it is the addition of the sulfates.
    3b/a
    Cowash - No Poo
    Gel - Light Defining Gel

• cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I had alot of shedding when I used sulfates, and I put up with it for years, it wasn't until recently I learned about harsh ingredients, I eventually cut out all sulfates and my shedding is dramatically less.

I have dry/sensitive skin and scalp. I could kick myself for not realizing my scalp could be the same as my skin sooner.
    I think I'll go back to my Suave Aloe co-wash and B&A gel! I want to keep as many hairs on my head as I can :)
    3b/a
    Cowash - No Poo
    Gel - Light Defining Gel

• cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think I'll go back to my Suave Aloe co-wash and B&A gel! I want to keep as many hairs on my head as I can :)

That's what I would do. Of course if your under stress, and if you write off seasonal shedding, then It might be the products. I lost half my hair before I figured it out, thank goodness I had alot of hair or otherwise I'd be bald.
    cympreni, I'm so glad you figured out what was causing your hair to shed too!
    3b/a
    Cowash - No Poo
    Gel - Light Defining Gel

• jennyfurrensjennyfurrens Posts: 708Registered Users
    just to be different but i felt that i shed more hair when cowashing, as the intense scrubbing of my scalp must have loosened more hair. now i gently scrub my scalp a wee bit then use either a mild cleanser or sulfate once every 2 weeks and i'm shedding a lot less. although it could be because winter's here and i've got my winter coat :roll:

cleanse: OS shampoo. PureNuffStuff cleanser.
    condition: Aussie 3MM. Jessicurl Aloeba.
    style: B2Basics GreenTeaGel. T&G Curl Balm. JCarter Nourish&Shine.

pw: curlywurly
    Thanks Jenny! I hear ya...I thought that would be the case w/me too; maybe it is just winter and my hair is shedding more with or without sulfates...I am going to go back to co-washing and see if I notice a difference at all.
    PS--I always enjoy looking at your pics--your hair is so pretty!
    3b/a
    Cowash - No Poo
    Gel - Light Defining Gel

awh thanks hockemom :) i'm going through some experimentation with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCare-Arc-AnGell-p-567.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacare-arc-angell]arc angell[/buylink] and the CJ banana and hibicus at the moment so i'm kinda up and down about my hair. also the awful wind and rain we've been having is doing NOTHING for my hair unless the windswept dragged-through-a-hedge-backwards look is in :roll:

i love your hair too - especially in your avatar pic, the contrast in blonde and brown really shows the curls! when i go home for winter i'm getting more blonde highlights and my hair layered, so excited i hope it goes ok!

• medusahairmedusahair Posts: 3,515Registered Users
    Same here JF I shed more with Co washes. It finally stopped recently so maybe I just loosened what was gonna shed but my hair is way thinner now. I was just sayign on another thread I hope it is busy all growing back in now!

I swear if nature wants us to shed like a dog they need to gives us as much hair as one! :lol:
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FMedusahair%2F" class="Popup

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
    medusa, i was quite worried when i started CG and cowashing as i really felt my hair thinned out. .its fine hair but i've always had LOADS of it (theres a pic of me when i was 15 in my fotki, its HUGE) but i felt like there just wasnt as much hair there any more. but it seems to have stopped shedding now, all i get is the normal amount per wash. maybe i was scrubbing too hard :?

Yeah the scrubbing too hard is what I was thinking about me too. And I would detangle before my hair got seaweedy. I figured that out after a few days though.
    I'm not sure what it was but I hope it doens't come back. My hair is def thinner. I was like you, fine hair but lots of it.
    When I wash now though just a few hairs will shed so whew I'm back to normal yay!
    2c/3a?
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FMedusahair%2F" class="Popup

medusahair, what poo's are you using? I used the elucence shampoo today to get rid of any cones, etc. (although I don't think I have been using any)...but just to start with a clean slate...

I would like to mostly co-wash with an occasional gentle poo, maybe one without sulfates...I have HCC too, which I like...maybe I'll also see if there's a good one by Aubrey Organics or Avalon. Why oh why am I such a PJ.
    3b/a
    Cowash - No Poo
    Gel - Light Defining Gel

Right now I"m using Cream of Nature. I use no poo too and embs if I feel I need it.
    The cream of nature is at least affordable and easy to find.
    We're raised in a consumer society, embrace it :lol: I used to reward myself with a dinner out. Apparently I deserved way too many rewards so now it's the hair products :D
    2c/3a?

I totally agree medusahair!! It's kinda like the kid who always gets a candy bar when they go to the store for being good!! LOL
    3b/a
    Cowash - No Poo
    Gel - Light Defining Gel

• redbadgercurlsredbadgercurls Posts: 31Registered Users
    hmm ive noticed increased shedding too and over the past year my hair has really thinned out. it might have something to do with me being in my first semester of college but im wondering if its the products im using.

i don't know how to tell if i have sulfates though but here's what i'm using: GF curl and shine shampoo, HE TT conditioner, GR curl and shine leave in, GF soft curls cream, and LA Looks curl look gel

i would really love my hair to be thicker like it used to be...
    hmm ive noticed increased shedding too and over the past year my hair has really thinned out. it might have something to do with me being in my first semester of college but im wondering if its the products im using.

i don't know how to tell if i have sulfates though but here's what i'm using: GF curl and shine shampoo, HE TT conditioner, GR curl and shine leave in, GF soft curls cream, and LA Looks curl look gel

i would really love my hair to be thicker like it used to be...
    oops double post
    I lvoe the curl and shine products but I can't use the shampoo, it has demithicone in it and that's a hard one for me to get out. My hair sucks up somethings and won't let go. That shampoo does have sodium laural sulfate in it.
    I love the rest of that line though, good stuff and my hair loves it!

By the way, never scrunch your hair too close to your root. Trust me on this :lol: Hair will fall, oh yes it will fall
    2c/3a?

As I got to thinking more about this today and your posts there are two things (other than using the sulfates recently) that could be contributing to my hair shedding:

1. I have been putting my hair in a ponytail almost every evening
    2. I scrunch pretty hard and close to my scalp too

I am going to not put my hair in a ponytail, be gentler with the scrunching and skip the sulfates and see if that helps.

On the good side, my hair is definitely getting longer!
    3b/a
    Cowash - No Poo
    Gel - Light Defining Gel

Well good about the length. The longer my top gets the easier it is to not accidentally scrunch too close :D
    Your hair is so curly I bet it is looking good with some length on it!
    2c/3a?

On a good hair day I will try to post some pics to see if you can tell it's growing :) I swear it shrinks up to about half it's length...argh :)
    3b/a
    Cowash - No Poo
    Gel - Light Defining Gel

Yay I love pics!
    My hair feels like it's growing super slow but I suppose it's not since my hair is doing better at the current length. That bang area just seems to take a zillion years!
    2c/3a?

• HalfWavyHalfCurlyHalfWavyHalfCurly Posts: 907Registered Users
    After starting CG the amount I shed became normal, considering now there's no brushing the loss is really minimal even though all the hairs come out at once in the shower and that was another benefit for me BUT I once heard someone complain her CO made her shed, so I guess it depends on the ingredients too.
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC ;-)
    that's an interesting theory, with the shedding being worsened when you scrunch to close to the scalp. i have a 'flat-top' and do try to scrunch high up to encourage more curl near the roots. is there any reason behind shedding and scrunching too high?

• HalfWavyHalfCurlyHalfWavyHalfCurly Posts: 907Registered Users
    Have you tried the CG pin tricks? That works very well but I'm lazy so when I'm diffuse-drying I use the end of a rat tail comb to lift the sides of my part (or any other flat areas) and direct a gentle blow of air there, so no more flat crown! In the past sometimes I also tried spraying a solution of Epsom salt on the top only and it would encourage curling.
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC ;-)
    Hi HWHC! I have tried the clips, I never could get them exactly right, but I see how they work...I usually also end up (after my hair is completely dry) kinda taking the tips of my fngers and doing a bit of scrunching near my roots, if that makes sense. I like the rat tail comb idea, I may have to give that try.
    3b/a
    Cowash - No Poo
    Gel - Light Defining Gel

JF if you scrunch too hard near the roots you can yank some out. At least it happened on my hair. I wasn't scrunching any diff than the rest of my hair. . It's hard to scrunch the crunch out on top and be careful not to pull some until it gets longer. For me anyway.
    2c/3a?

Ok, today I had much better luck -- I co-washed and carefully scrunched, and had about 1/4 of the shedding...it could be just luck...OH and last night I didn't put my hair in a ponytail. I was so happy to see much less hair in the drain this morning!
    3b/a
    Cowash - No Poo
    Gel - Light Defining Gel

Yay for less hair! Whatever did it at least it's less scary
    Hopefully that's the end of it!

Speaking of things that make you go bald they say pony tails and wearing hats (not together just those things) cause hair loss. I wonder why people up north aren't all bald since they have to wear a hat to keep warm?
    And will I lose my perimenopause moustache if I wear a face mask? :?
    2c/3a?