Anyone wear "scrubs" to work? Need washing help...

SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,683Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
To reduce fading, the uniform store where I purchased the scrubs advised doing a "pre-soak" in cold water for 15 mins, with ratio of 1 tsp. white vinegar for each garment. I have 5 tops and 5 bottoms.

Do you do the vinegar pre-soak at all? If so, do you do it in a sink/tub first, or just as part of your normal first washing process in your washing machine?

I have a front-loading washer and it has a 16-minute prewash cycle, but the garments will not be totally immersed in the water/vinegar mixture - they will just tumble around in it... I am thinking this is still easier than having to do several rounds (my sink is small) of the vinegar soak by hand.

I have done vinegar washes before for towels, but never for clothes, and I had a top-loading washer at that time.

I appreciate any input you have re: presoaking by hand or by machine.

Then the uniform store said to just use cold temperature in the dryer, and only for 10 minutes.

Also, how much will I have to worry about wrinkles, because the iron is not my friend.
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!

Comments

• cyndicyndi Posts: 3,341Registered Users
    I didn't do a soak. I just wash them in cold water.
    I think that I deceive genius.:happy10:
    I wash in cold water and dry on low heat. They dry really quickly. I hang them up when done and I've never had to iron them.

(Mine are the grey's anatomy brand)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I just washed mine in cold water, dried on gentle or regular and hung up as soon as they come out of the dryer to avoid wrinkles.
  • newcurlynewcurly Posts: 1,310Registered Users
    I would never wash my scrubs on anything other than hot. Healthcare environment = too many germs to do otherwise. Wash on hot, tumble dry low.
    "Well I love that dirty water. Oh, Boston, you're my home!"
    I'm a speech therapist (almost), so I'm not around the really germy patients.
  • KikapooKikapoo Posts: 1,087Registered Users
    cyndi wrote: »
    I wash in cold water and dry on low heat. They dry really quickly. I hang them up when done and I've never had to iron them.

(Mine are the grey's anatomy brand)

Same here. Never had a problem with fading. As for wrinkles, folding them takes care of that, and if they do get wrinkled, throw em in the dryer for 10 minutes while you're getting ready. Voila!
  • popcornpopcorn Posts: 212Registered Users
    Scrubs are about as low maintenance as they get. I use warm water generally, unless I managed to get sprayed with something (then hot). Even the most wrinkled scrubs don't stay that way - folding seems to smooth out most everything. I have never ironed mine, and I never plan to. Tumble dry permanent press, and don't worry about it.

I'm sure some brands fade more, but the Crest (last job) and Landaus (current job) I have worn are pretty fade resistant IME.
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,683Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks for the help! I am dealing with Landau brand.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The best way to avoid fading is to choose your fabric wisely before buying. 100% Cotton scrubs fade a lot more than cotton/poly blends....it also wrinkles more and wears out faster. I find 100% cotton more comfortable to wear than poly blends, but the wrinkles/fading/wear is a tradeoff.

I think anyone who works with body fluids should wash scrubs in hot and dry on medium/hot. If no body fluids, then you can use cold-wash/cool-dry for laundering.

Using a quality namebrand detergent (like Tide) reduces fading also.

Wrinkles are avoided by removing promptly from dryer and hanging/folding immedately. I've never ironed scrubs.
    Did you post in my thread that these are for your son? Are you doing his laundry?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file