Another sari question *sigh*

SystemSystem AdministratorPosts: 39,060 Administrator
I very foolishly bought a sari and matching choli from Ebay, not realizing that it was made of silk....that stiff Tussar silk. (I was so thrilled that the choli was actually in my size, and thrilled with the beauty of the outfit and the price)

I have a really hard time putting the stiff silk ones on, and usually stick with the material that's loose and drapey.

The previous owner only wore it once or twice, and had it dry cleaned afterwards.

Is there ANY way I can relieve some of the stiffness? Is there a knack to making it look better on? I emailed the seller and she said she "ironed the pleats" when she wore it. So would I wrap the sari until I get to the pleats, take it off, iron the pleats, then put it back on?

I've also read that the silk material "settles" once it's worn and in contact with body heat and doesn't look so bulky after a while. Is that true? I'm sorry but I look like I've hastily wrapped myself in a huge bedsheet when I try to wear this thing, and I'm sort of skeptical about that.

If anyone has any advice I will surely appreciate it.

Comments

• mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Silk saris are definitely harder to tie than nylon/chiffon ones. And they will never be as form fitting. But they do get softer with wear so you'll just have to wear it and break it in.

Ironing the pleats means putting it on, pleating it and while you are wearing it, run the iron up and down the pleats to make the creases firmer. Don't worry about burning yourself since there is a lot of fabric between you and the iron LOL.

Safety pins are also your friend - one at the shoulder and one at the top of the pleats at the very least.

Post a pic! I'm sure you look lovely.
  • SystemSystem Administrator Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I'm sorry, I know this sounds really dumb, but.....would I put that section of pleats on the ironing board? While I'm wearing it? I wish I could find a Youtube vid of somebody handling one.

Good grief, I don't know what I'm going to look like trying to get out of the house! I'll have to do a trial run, for sure. I wanted to wear one to my SIL's wedding.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    You are going to tie the sari and pleat and tuck in the pleats as usual. What you will notice is that the pleats are puffier and not as crisp as with other materials. So you take a hot iron and run it up and down your pleats vertically so that you flatten up pleats and make the folds more crisp. Put your hand under the pleats to act as the ironing board.

I'm not explaining this well. Does that make any sense.
  • KikapooKikapoo Posts: 1,087Registered Users
    You are going to tie the sari and pleat and tuck in the pleats as usual. What you will notice is that the pleats are puffier and not as crisp as with other materials. So you take a hot iron and run it up and down your pleats vertically so that you flatten up pleats and make the folds more crisp. Put your hand under the pleats to act as the ironing board.

I'm not explaining this well. Does that make any sense.

This sounds like it's turning into a pretty dangerous outfit!
  • SystemSystem Administrator Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    ^^^ LOL!

Yes, I understand now. I think I'll be able to do it.

I've read about some women using their flatiron (for the hair) but I'd rather use a regular iron--it just seems cleaner. I'll post a pic when I get a chance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file