I'm Making Homemade Ice Cream Today...

LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,777Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
I have an ice cream maker that I haven't used in quite a while. I promised my grandchildren that I would make them some this afternoon.

I've forgotten how to make this. I would always use sweetened condensed milk in my ice cream. I found a couple of recipes online, but would love to hear your recipe ideas. Here's what I've found.

Number 1....

3 eggs
1-14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 TBS vanilla
1 cup whipping cream
3 cups half and half

Number 2....

2 beaten eggs
4 cups half and half or light cream
1-14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
2 TBS vanilla

I have the sweetened condensed milk, the eggs, 2 pints half and half, and the vanilla.
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."

Comments

• WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Sounds awesome!
    Are you going to put berries or choco or anything like that in it?
    This is what we use...
    http://www.amazon.com/Rival-91V-Ice-Cream-Mix/dp/B00005OTYM
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,777Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    The kids don't want anything in it, just vanilla. They want to add their own toppings. I have sprinkles for them.

ETA: I want to make it homemade. Not from a package. The kids love to crack eggs and pour things. My daughter always buys those frozen pancakes for them. One weekend that they spent at my house I made homemade pancakes. They cracked me up. I had them mix everything, then I poured the pancake batter on the griddle as they watched. Their eyes were huge when I flipped them. I announced to them that these were real pancakes.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I make it all the time and use the following for the basic recipe:

egg yolks
    heavy cream
    vanilla bean scrapings or vanilla extract
    sugar or Splenda

I choose either sugar or Splenda depending on who I'm making it for. Then I add whatever flavorings I want...which also depend on who I'm making it for (if they eat sugar or not).

Some of the flavors I make are:

coffee (using strong instant coffee and/or INF french vanilla powder)

chocolate (using cocoa powder or dutch process cocoa)

chocolate chip (using choc chips or broken pieces of choc bars or low carb choc bars)

peach (using fresh and canned peaches w/ either the syrup in the can or peach flavored DaVinci syrup)

banana (using real bananas, DaVinci banana syrup, banana pudding mix and/or banana extract)

prelines and cream (using melted caramels, Da Vinci caramel syrup and candy-coated pecans)

etc., etc.

My daughter and I don't eat much sugar but my son and bf do...so I have to get creative. The sugar-free options usually taste every bit as good as the sugary ones, but you just have slightly fewer options if you go sugar-free.

I've never used condensed milk. I can't see the point to using half/half. :scratch:

I love homemade ice cream so much more than store bought!

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Wow! Wonderful. I'd love to lick the spoon or the churn - whatever you use to make the IC.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    Spiderlashes, it's sweetened condensed milk. I usually use regular milk instead of the half and half, but thought I'd try this time. I didn't taste much of a difference.
    From Michael Berg:

For texture and creaminess of flavor, heavy cream is the best way to go, I think. If I ate sugar, I might try sweetened condensed milk...but I would never use regular milk. I ate that "ice milk" crap back in the late 70s and, even as a young child, I wasn't impressed! LOL

The sweetened condensed milk gives it a creamier texture. My Mom always used it in ice cream and in her fudge. I love that stuff.
    From Michael Berg:

• divegirldivegirl Posts: 1,286Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've used Pioneer Woman's recipe to great success!
    divegirl wrote: »

This is similar to how I make it but I don't use half&half or beat the egg yolks in an electric mixer.

Mmmmmm, as soon as I find my ice cream maker canister in one of the many boxes i've yet to unpack since moving (hopefully today), im gonna get started batch of chocolate caramel swirl! (This thread is worse than the pizza thread!)

• SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    Milk is an ingredient in pretty much all custard-style ice cream. All heavy cream is for Philly style where you don't have any eggs. Starch-based gelato also contains milk.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg

That sounds like a lot of work, but I loved this.....

*Very Important*—be sure to go back and scrape the custard from the bottom of the pan with a spoon. Then place the spoon in your mouth and groan for the next three hours
    From Michael Berg:

Lotsawaves wrote: »

*Very Important*—be sure to go back and scrape the custard from the bottom of the pan with a spoon. Then place the spoon in your mouth and groan for the next three hours

Outside of the unnecessary whisking in a mixer (just a bowl and whisk suffice), it's standard ice-cream making procedure. :dontknow:
    (And it should always be strained, you never know if there's a bit of cooked eggs in there, no matter how careful you are--- plus you don't lose vanilla bean specks from straining!)

I do prefer Philly-style ice cream for fruit and sometimes chocolate ice cream though. Eggs and too much fat mask flavor.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    Saria wrote: »
    Milk is an ingredient in pretty much all custard-style ice cream. All heavy cream is for Philly style where you don't have any eggs. Starch-based gelato also contains milk.

Oh yeah, now I remember why I started using just cream -- lower in carbs than milk or half&half. But I love it this way so much I can't imagine using milk now.

• curly66curly66 Posts: 161Registered Users
    Spiderflashes:

Can you post your recipe? I watching my sugar too and of course due to all these ice cream threads I went out at got the Cuisinart ice cream maker:toothy5:
    Curl Type: 3B/C thick shoulder length brunette
    Favorite Products: Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner, Biotera Styling Gel found @ Sally's, Trader Joe's Nourish, Shea Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Saria wrote: »
    Lotsawaves wrote: »

Outside of the unnecessary whisking in a mixer (just a bowl and whisk suffice), it's standard ice-cream making procedure. :dontknow:
    (And it should always be strained, you never know if there's a bit of cooked eggs in there, no matter how careful you are--- plus you don't lose vanilla bean specks from straining!)

I do prefer Philly-style ice cream for fruit and sometimes chocolate ice cream though. Eggs and too much fat mask flavor.

She was also heating it on the stove to dissolve the sugar.

I just wisk everything together and pour it in. I don't use the granulated sugar, tho'.
    From Michael Berg:

You have to heat to make the custard. It's not about dissolving the sugar, but about making the custard base (Anglaise) which is cooked to 180 degrees (coats the back of a spoon). Aside from the base being cooked (no raw eggs), it allows you to flavor it in many different ways. So usually a batch of base is always on hand to be turned into any flavor of ice cream.
    It's pretty standard, so it's really not a lot of work once you do it a couple of times. It becomes rote.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    The pioneer woman recipe is very similar to the recipe I use, a mixture of heavy cream and half-and-half. The only thing I do differently is I strain the custard prior to cooling it in the fridge.

ETA: Another difference is I simply whisk the egg yolks and sugar together instead of using my KitchenAid mixer.

Once you have a basic recipe down, there is no end to the different flavors of ice cream you can make. It really is not a whole lot of work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I should have never bought an ice cream maker, it's like having a crack machine in the house. I made Oreo cookie ice cream last week and my husband declared he could sustain himself for the rest of his LIFE eating just that. This from the man that never liked sweets!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    spring1onu wrote: »
    I should have never bought an ice cream maker, it's like having a crack machine in the house. I made Oreo cookie ice cream last week and my husband declared he could sustain himself for the rest of his LIFE eating just that. This from the man that never liked sweets!

:sign5: Ain't that the truth!

There is just no beating homemade ice cream. I loooove to eat it when it first comes out of the machine - all soft, creamy and yummy! :love7:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    curly66 wrote: »
    Spiderflashes:

Can you post your recipe? I watching my sugar too and of course due to all these ice cream threads I went out at got the Cuisinart ice cream maker:toothy5:

I'm sorry. I don't really have one. I will try to find the Atkins recipe when I unpack all my books, and post back, tho. I just do it to taste. Can you really do it *wrong*? :tongue8:

I pour an entire carton (quart) of cream into a saucepan, heat it up, and whisk in 6 already beaten egg yolks, and continue to heat and whisk, careful not to "scramble" the egg. Then I add the vanilla bean scrapings and some Splenda...several heaping tablespoons of Splenda. (If you don't mind the ice cream being softer, you can use liquid Da Vinci Sweetening Syrup in place of or in addition to powdered Splenda. The sweetening syrup is made from sucralose, same as powdered Splenda but for some reason, the powdered form has 1 gm of carbs per packet/teaspoon and the liquid has 0...so if you are really, really watching your carb intake, liquid sucralose is the better way to go. Tastes the same but will make the texture thinner.) Of course, if you want fewer calories and don't mind the extra carbs you can use half&half in place of some of the cream. I might add some additional sugar-free syrups, extracts, cocoa, or sugar-free pudding mixes at this point.

Then I put it in the fridge and let it cool for a couple of hours. Then I pour it into the ice cream maker, start it up and add any "chunky" ingredients like nuts, crumbled candy bars, fruit, etc., when there's about 7 or 8 minutes to go.

Spiderlashes, you want to add vanilla bean to things from the beginning, and in cases like ice cream or anything else where you're steeping, you throw in the pod because it has a lot of flavor. If you use your beans for something else, you still save the pod, and either store it in sugar to make vanilla sugar, or grind it up with sugar. You can also save the pod to steep, or if you keep saving them, make vanilla extract. Vanilla extract, because it's alcohol-based, goes in at the end, but beans you want them to go in from the beginning.

And I have to mention tempering because you never want to throw eggs into hot liquid. You go hot to cold, as in you whisk in some of the hot liquid into your unheated element then pour that in. Otherwise you risk scrambling.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Has anyone tried eggs + low fat or fat free half and half? I made chocoloate ice cream the other day with heavy cream, almond milk, stevia, dutch cocoa and a 71% chocolate bar and it is yumm, but the fat content is worrying me.

I've seen lots of ice cream recipes using condensed milk, but I can eat sugar. Maybe evaporated milk? I've also used a product called Mimiccream with excellent results. Next time I make a batch, I'm going to mix greek yogurt with lowfat half and half.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file