Eco Styler Krystal Styling Gel.

NoodleHead14NoodleHead14 Posts: 38Registered Users
What hair product/styling product do you guys mix with Eco Styler Krystal Styling Gel? :happy3:

Comments

• tangledmassofcurlstangledmassofcurls Posts: 22Registered Users
    OMG, I friggin' love that dang gel. I'm still experimenting with it myself, and I'll admit-- I haven't gotten it quite right-- but I absolutely won't give up on it. It's the ONLY product I've found to date that combats (not eliminates) shrinkage!

I've mixed my beloved Eco Styler with Darcy's Botanicals Vanilla Delight Leave-In, Kinky Curly Knot Today, and with straight shea butter.

The shea butter was a complete and total disaster-- need I say more?

Kinky Curly Knot Today is a really good detangler and goes very, very well with this product-- BUT it doesn't prevent the "dry spell" that happens once the Eco Styler dries on my hair. KCKT isn't moisturizing enough on its own.

Last night, I did a deep treatment with Wen's Tea Tree Conditioner and the Wen Fig Oil (basically compressed jojoba oil), left it on overnight, rinsed out this a.m., sectioned my entire mass of tangles, and put a healthy glob of Eco Styler gel on each section (that's the only way to eliminate the massive ball of frizz that humid NY state "blesses" me with along with its inability to pass a dang budget on time...)

Anywho, I've found that mixing Eco Styler with oils doesn't work so great... but if I do an oil rinse (kind of like last night's DT), I get better results. A light leave-in conditioner would be the best way to go with Eco Styler; however, I cannot get the proportions right no matter what I do. It's either not enough, and the gel leaves me dry, or it's too much, and the gel doesn't retain its famous "hold". It's too bad because I am in LOVE with Darcy's Botanicals Vanilla Delight LI (same detangling moisturizing ability as KCKT, but no hold.)

Oil rinsing seems to eliminate the dryness I get with this gel. You can get "hair buggers" if you use it conjunction with a leave-in conditioner. The oil rinse leaves just enough moisture in my hair so that it doesn't dry out from the Eco Styler, but not so much that the gel can't do its job.
    3c Mass of tangles (I'm serious)
    Trying my best to avoid silicones
    High porosity
  • DerbyCityNaturalsDerbyCityNaturals Posts: 422Registered Users
    I only like Eco Styler when it is mixed with products. I have mixed just with olive oil, aloe gel and olive oil (my fav) and with light conditioner. I use an old empty gel container and eyeball the portions then I stir with a comb to blend. If it is too runny add more gel, too sticky add more oil.
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    What hair product/styling product do you guys mix with Eco Styler Krystal Styling Gel? :happy3:

Organic unrefined coconut oil.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • AllieCat0817AllieCat0817 Posts: 301Registered Users
    I find that it goes well with either Darcy's leave in, or Karen's Body Beautiful hair nectar underneath, and a little SheScentIt Gillian Butter (now Kiwi Kiss or somethin like that).
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I mix mine with Kinky-Curly Spiral Spritz and it works pretty well.

I also tried it with:

VO5 Moisture Milks Strawberries & Cream Conditioner and Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut Conditioner and ended up with white balls of flakes on my head.

I also tried it with oils and it was fine, but I have to watch the amounts I use.
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • DerbyCityNaturalsDerbyCityNaturals Posts: 422Registered Users
    VO5 Moisture Milks Strawberries & Cream Conditioner and Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut Conditioner and ended up with white balls of flakes on my head.

Death to the white balls.:cussing:

I have them whenever I used Cantu. Ugh so irritating. Everytime I see the "tar balls" images of the gulf it reminds me of them. :sad1:
  • ElectrumElectrum Posts: 62Registered Users
    Most of the time I just use it under my favorite conditioner: TiGi Moisture Maniac. If I'm looking for extra shine I either mix it with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Handmade-Burnt-Sugar-Pomade-p-755.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-burnt-sugar-pomade]Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade[/buylink], or I scrunch the crunchies out with coconut oil and the OBSP.
    Decision to go natural: mid-February 2010
    Big Chop: August 22 2010
    :cat: Newly Natural :cat:
  • AllieCat0817AllieCat0817 Posts: 301Registered Users
    YES I got white balls when leaving in regular conditioner too. I've found that it works well with leave ins (Darcy's, Karen's Body Beautiful), as well as butters/moisturizers/other gels like Qhemet Olive and Honey Hydrating Balm and the Tea Gel. Today I used it with Karen's Body Beautiful hair nectar and Afroveda CoCoLatte Moisture Mask. Works great with all those. Just no regular conditioner.
  • seniyaseniya Posts: 21Registered Users
    YESSSS the white balls. I get them when I use my Pink leave in conditioner and then gel after.

I use the green ECO-styler, I will try the clear one once it's done. I too have to mix it or it's just dry and gross. I use Garnier's leave in conditioner under it, then put the gel on and then I spray with Hawiian Silky 14 in 1 spray thing and that stops the drying out but still keeps the curl definition.
    BC: June 2nd 2010

Current Length: Six inches, I'd like to believe

Routine: Wash and goes with VO5. Profectiv Hair Strengthener + Castor Oil + Water. Elasta QP Feels Like Silk on lazy days.

http://public.fotki.com/seniya/
  • NoodleHead14NoodleHead14 Posts: 38Registered Users
    :shock: Have any of you guys ever mixed the Eco Styler with Proclaim Curl & Wave Activator Gel or GVP Conditioning Balm?
  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    :shock: Have any of you guys ever mixed the Eco Styler with Proclaim Curl & Wave Activator Gel or GVP Conditioning Balm?

I did the GVP balm last week with some ecostyler on top. Only because I planned on rinsing out the gvp but saw how it soaked into my hair so I got lazy and left it in.

My hair was smelled good! It wasn't bad together. I didn't get the white balls.
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • xyzioloxyziolo Posts: 232Registered Users
    This is a good gel but it alters the hair significantly. I notice a total difference when I use the gel as opposed to just leave-in conditioner and a CG friendly product like Curly Solutions [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] and AC Recoil. My hair stays natural looking and the curls coil to their natural form.

When I use the gel, my hair practically turns to 3a. And it dries out the hair afterwards. I love to play with my hair and find that once it is dry and I start messing with it (at home, after a long day's work) it is still nice but feels very dry.

I think it is great for pony-tails, boy/short hair and that sort of thing. But it is not really too healthy. But people seems to love it mainly, I think, because it changes the hair and makes it appear what it is not.
  • madisonkmadisonk Posts: 49Registered Users
    Curlcraze4 wrote: »
    This is a good gel but it alters the hair significantly. I notice a total difference when I use the gel as opposed to just leave-in conditioner and a CG friendly product like Curly Solutions [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] and AC Recoil. My hair stays natural looking and the curls coil to their natural form.

When I use the gel, my hair practically turns to 3a. And it dries out the hair afterwards. I love to play with my hair and find that once it is dry and I start messing with it (at home, after a long day's work) it is still nice but feels very dry.

I think it is great for pony-tails, boy/short hair and that sort of thing. But it is not really too healthy. But people seems to love it mainly, I think, because it changes the hair and makes it appear what it is not.

Does anyone know why it might dry out the hair? I notice that my hair has been really dry lately and i was wondering if it could be gel. I thought only alcohol dries the hair out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3c/b with a patch of 4zzzz, Very Porous, and Thick
    Favs right now: Honeyquat, Eco Clear, Aveeno Soft Gel, and LOVE ME SOME CIAB

http://public.fotki.com/MadisonK/

BC'd May 7, 2010! Transitioned for 9 months. Lovin' every minute of it! :headbang:

Its never done that to my hair. :neutral: I use it for hold and certain styles, but nothing short of a relaxer (or bleaching) would ever change the texture of my hair. With gel, the 4a hair stay 4a and the 3b/c stays that way.
    My Fotki!
    004-vi.jpg
  • xyzioloxyziolo Posts: 232Registered Users

Its never done that to my hair. :neutral: I use it for hold and certain styles, but nothing short of a relaxer (or bleaching) would ever change the texture of my hair. With gel, the 4a hair stay 4a and the 3b/c stays that way.

That's not the case. When I use a gel like EcoStyler or the brown one (I think it has protein), my hair gets VERY stretched out, it looks like an Antonia Banderas slick. And I am 3b/c.
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    madisonk wrote: »
    Does anyone know why it might dry out the hair? I notice that my hair has been really dry lately and i was wondering if it could be gel. I thought only alcohol dries the hair out.

That's very likely because Ecostyler is pretty heavy on protein. It's about 3rd on the list of ingredients. Also not all alcohols are drying, such as fatty alcohols used often in cosmetics.

I had to get rid of my Ecostyler (I had the olive oil formula) because it made my hair dry and hard, even though I have protein loving hair. As for it changing the curl pattern, that would only happen if I had the gel in my hair while it was stretched and then dried that way. But that happens with any styling product not just gel.. if I leave condish in my hair, slick it back, and then release it after it's dry, I will have straightish pieces mixed in with my curls.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
    BekkaPoo wrote: »

That's very likely because Ecostyler is pretty heavy on protein. It's about 3rd on the list of ingredients. Also not all alcohols are drying, such as fatty alcohols used often in cosmetics.

I had to get rid of my Ecostyler (I had the olive oil formula) because it made my hair dry and hard, even though I have protein loving hair. As for it changing the curl pattern, that would only happen if I had the gel in my hair while it was stretched and then dried that way. But that happens with any styling product not just gel.. if I leave condish in my hair, slick it back, and then release it after it's dry, I will have straightish pieces mixed in with my curls.

Thanks, BekkaPoo. I have porous hair and I thought i needed protein...that's what i read anyway. So, i use Eco Styler gel and Fantasia gel a lot due to the protein. My hair has been really dry and hard. Do you think I should stop using protein gels? I've been using Elucence Moisture Balance conditioner as a leave in too under the gels.

Side note...I was at church on Sunday and the pastor put his hand on my head to pray for me and then quickly removed it. I think my hair scared him! :scratch:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BC'd May 7, 2010! Transitioned for 9 months. Lovin' every minute of it! :headbang:

That's not the case. When I use a gel like EcoStyler or the brown one (I think it has protein), my hair gets VERY stretched out, it looks like an Antonia Banderas slick. And I am 3b/c.

Interesting...I never used the brown one so I cant speak on that one.
    My Fotki!
    004-vi.jpg
    Thanks, BekkaPoo. I have porous hair and I thought i needed protein...that's what i read anyway. So, i use Eco Styler gel and Fantasia gel a lot due to the protein. My hair has been really dry and hard. Do you think I should stop using protein gels? I've been using [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Moisture-Balancing-Conditioner-p-39.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=elucence-elucence-moisture-balancing-conditioner]Elucence Moisture Balance[/buylink] conditioner as a leave in too under the gels.

Side note...I was at church on Sunday and the pastor put his hand on my head to pray for me and then quickly removed it. I think my hair scared him! :scratch:

You're welcome..

:D [email protected] your church experience.. hrm, well then maybe that's a sign you should go a little lighter on the gel? It doesn't mean you have to entirely stop using it, but maybe cut down and be less heavy handed. You could even thin the gel out with water or a liquid leave in and spritz it into your hair.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
    BekkaPoo wrote: »
    Thanks, BekkaPoo. I have porous hair and I thought i needed protein...that's what i read anyway. So, i use Eco Styler gel and Fantasia gel a lot due to the protein. My hair has been really dry and hard. Do you think I should stop using protein gels? I've been using [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Moisture-Balancing-Conditioner-p-39.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=elucence-elucence-moisture-balancing-conditioner]Elucence Moisture Balance[/buylink] conditioner as a leave in too under the gels.

You're welcome..

:D [email protected] your church experience.. hrm, well then maybe that's a sign you should go a little lighter on the gel? It doesn't mean you have to entirely stop using it, but maybe cut down and be less heavy handed. You could even thin the gel out with water or a liquid leave in and spritz it into your hair.

ok...you are right on point! Today, I used the EMB and Fantasia but a lot less gel and my hair is not nearly as hard. I just read that TEA an ingredient in some of the gels can dry your hair out. guess I will read up on this.

Yeh, I giggled inside when the Pastor removed his hand from my hair...i thought "ok...this is not get a man hair!" lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ok...you are right on point! Today, I used the EMB and Fantasia but a lot less gel and my hair is not nearly as hard. I just read that TEA an ingredient in some of the gels can dry your hair out. guess I will read up on this.

Yeh, I giggled inside when the Pastor removed his hand from my hair...i thought "ok...this is not get a man hair!" lol

Hehe.. glad it all worked out. :D Sometimes less is more.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file