Decorating gurus: long complicated color scheme question - UPDATED

2»

Comments

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,210Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    CurlyToast, thanks for the info. It does shed light on the situation. It's definitely the plastering which is the big job.

I rent - I don't own. I actually had renter's insurance 20 years ago for about 5 years. It cost $90/yr which 20 years ago was a lot, so I stopped. Of course nothing happened during the 5 years that I had insurance. The leaks began a couple years later.

The bread always falls with the butter side down (LOL).
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    CP, I can't believe that you have to foot the bill for the plaster repair when you rent, especially if it's not damage you caused.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    spring1onu wrote: »
    CP, I can't believe that you have to foot the bill for the plaster repair when you rent, especially if it's not damage you caused.

I can't either. That seems like landowner stuff, not tenant stuff.
    The building people are horrendous. I have to fight to get the most basic services. It's a major issue getting anything done here even for an emergency like a stopped up toilet.

If they paint, they will not fix the plaster. They will mix the paint with water and slop it on in one day. That's what they did the last time when I didn't paint myself which is why I'm getting an outside job.

On the plus side the rent is reasonable, the apt. is quiet, I get lots of sunlight, I like my neighbors and I'm in a safe neighborhood with excellent transportation. So I'll stop whining about the $5,000 and focus on the good stuff.

I was just shocked which is why I posted. We should all go into the apt. painting business and we'll make out like bandits!
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    That really stinks, but the things you pointed out are indeed good things. Sorry the mgt. are ishtbags.

Let us know how it goes!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Do you have any friends who can provide references for a self employed painter who isn't affiliated w/ any company?

(I'm assuming you've been applying to all the home make over shows??!:reindeer:)

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,715Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Yikes, yea no way I would pay anywhere near that much to have a rental painted. Actually I wouldn't pay a dime to have a rental painted. I've painted apartments on my own but would never pay a professional to do that. But that's just me. If you love it there and it would make you happy and you are ok with paying for it then you should do it.
    And it makes me nervous that you don't have insurance. What if there was a fire and you lost everything? I'm a worrier when it comes to stuff like that.
    And that's a good idea from spider (the self employed painter idea).
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    I'm reconsidering my response. Considering that there is no insurance to offset the cost, and the fact that you'd be paying $5,000 to fix up someone else's property, AND that all your expensive work could be ruined with one plumbing leak, at any time, I would NOT pay $5,000 to fix the plaster and repaint. I just wouldn't. I know you've lived there a long time, and are planning to live there a long time still, but it just seems like such a waste of money, for very little return.
    I'm reconsidering my response. Considering that there is no insurance to offset the cost, and the fact that you'd be paying $5,000 to fix up someone else's property, AND that all your expensive work could be ruined with one plumbing leak, at any time, I would NOT pay $5,000 to fix the plaster and repaint. I just wouldn't. I know you've lived there a long time, and are planning to live there a long time still, but it just seems like such a waste of money, for very little return.

RCW this is a VERY good point. It could be ruined by one plumbing leak at any time. I have decided no way am I paying $5,000 for something that could be ruined again in one fell swoop. I will get other estimates and in the end, I may cave and let the building people do their stuff again for free. We have new management. The old management is in jail (not kidding) for fraud. It's possible we have new painters. I have to find out.

My thanks to all the curlies who responded. Your input propelled my thinking and probably saved me $5000:idea:
    Sounds like a good decision.

If you can get management to pain, maybe you can be one of "those tenants" and wait around *****ing at the painters all.day.long. so they do the job right.
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file