poofy canopy?

curlygirl29curlygirl29 Posts: 9Registered Users
Hi!

I have a problem:

Whenever my hair is drying, it expands. Like majorly. It's definitely not frizz, and my hair is pretty healthy (still recovering from all those years of brushing, straightening, non-CG shampoos etc. but nonetheless it's getting better). And it's just the canopy. The hair underneath is shiny, with well-defined curls and extremely soft. The top part is only wavy, not defined, but also extremely soft.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, What did you do/use to fix it?

It's solvable with hair gel, but I was wondering if I"ll have to use gel for the rest of my life or if there is something I can do.

I'm mixed, and my hair is 3a/3b. CG for two years now.

In a lame sort of way this website makes me excited to wash my hair with new things...

3a/3b w/ a little bit of 4a mixed in. Fine w/ high porosity.

"Shampoo": DevaCurl No Poo
Conditioner: DevaCare One Condition
Leave in: Giovanni Direct Leave In (♥HG!♥)
Styling: DevaCurl Angell, & Avon Volumizing Mousse (sometimes)
DT: Searching for the perfect one... any recommendations??

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Because it's exposed to the elements, the canopy is the most damaged. You don't list your texture and porosity, here's a link to help you determine that: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=67218

Finding the correct balance between moisture and protein is the key. It's possible that a protein treatment followed by a deep treatment will help. My hair is fine and LOVES protein. I do at least one of the moisturizing PTs a week and use lots of rich products with protein.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curlygirl29curlygirl29 Posts: 9Registered Users
    Okay, thank you! I will try a protein treatment :) I'm a little new to this, haha.

The texture is normal, and I would say the porosity is borderline "Overly Porous".

In a lame sort of way this website makes me excited to wash my hair with new things...

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Okay, thank you! I will try a protein treatment :) I'm a little new to this, haha.

The texture is normal, and I would say the porosity is borderline "Overly Porous".

Porous hair usually likes protein. You should try adding it on a consistent basis.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curlygirl29curlygirl29 Posts: 9Registered Users
    Thanks for the advice! I tried a leave-in with protein in it and my hair is much, much happier! :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file