Looking for help/advice for my daughter's hair

Rachel9732Rachel9732 Posts: 9Registered Users
Hello. I just joined but I've been lurking for quite a while, looking for ideas for my daughter's hair. She has a lot of 3b curls, but she has a little of everything else on her head, too. It's VERY thick and coarse, and can be oily but still feel dry.

Since I've been reading here, her hair has been getting better--she got a hair cut last week and her stylist actually teared up because her hair was so much better :). But I think we could still improve things.

Here are the two main problems she faces:

1. She has seborrheic dermatitis and uses a prescription shampoo to treat it. I don't see her going no poo, ever, or even low poo any time soon. The dermatologist just about bit off her own tongue in her rush to say no when I asked about it.

2. She hates product. No matter what is put in her hair, she thinks it's crunchy and hates it.

What she's been doing that has helped:

She coats the length of her hair with a light conditioner, then uses her shampoo, which has to sit on her scalp for five minutes. She rinses that out, then uses a thick conditioner all over. While that conditioner is in, she combs out the tangles with a wide-toothed comb. She rinses and air dries, and that's about it.

She's 14. She is not particularly interested in her hair and doesn't like to fuss with it. Left to her own devices, she would shampoo maybe once a week, but the dermatologist wants her to shampoo every day. This works out to be probably three shampoos a week most of the time.

Any suggestions? Should she switch the conditioners? Use something else?

I come from a curly family and my husband does, too, but none of us have hair like hers and I've been at a real loss for what to do with it all these years.

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Since you're a curly family, a great investment for you would be Struttswife's ebook. It's all of the information in one place: http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/

Sounds like you're on track with what you're doing. You may want to buy some of the "richer," more natural products for her hair. Do DTs, if she'll do it.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rachel9732Rachel9732 Posts: 9Registered Users
    Thank you! I downloaded the book and read it twice. I can't say I exactly understand all of it :tongue:, but I think I've been really wrong in some of the things I've thought about my daughter's hair and I'm going to try a couple of new things--maybe.:lol: She keeps rolling her eyes at me and asking when I am going to stop messing with her hair.
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Glad it helped. A lot of it will make more sense as you go along.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file