Most Helpful Poster? Most Friendly Newbie?

CurlyPolkaDotCurlyPolkaDot Posts: 1,174Registered Users
As a Newbie, When you were first starting out, with big Puppy-Dog eyes :sad5: Who Helped You?

Who answered your Questions? Who gave Advice?

For Me: Pedaheh ---> Is that Spelt right?

Also Who Started out around the same time as you and helped you along? Who became your NC Buddy?

For Me: Plunkybug

Who helped you? :toothy4:
2c/3a - M/C - ii/iii
Countess DuckyDot :duckie: , Keeper of the book of Vegetarianism and Arty Pants, Leader of the Curly Ducks in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Away and might not be back. See me at: http://walkintowhispers.blogspot.com/

Comments

• anonymous_22139anonymous_22139 Posts: 659Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Jeepcurlygurl was the most friendly.

I didn't ask for advice - I just read, and read, and read.
  • CurlyPolkaDotCurlyPolkaDot Posts: 1,174Registered Users
    Cool :D Anyone Else?
    2c/3a - M/C - ii/iii
    Countess DuckyDot :duckie: , Keeper of the book of Vegetarianism and Arty Pants, Leader of the Curly Ducks in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• goobernutgoobernut Posts: 2,317Registered Users
    OMG a ton of people were very friendly, but this is who jumps out at me the most...

DEL2C, and whatshercurl. Kathymack also was very helpful with any question. DEL was one of the very first people to make me feel welcome :)

I wouldn't say that I had a buddy, but AJJ does come to mind. We started around the same time and had very similar hair. There were a ton of us new guys at the same time though, and I am really doing them a disservice by not naming their names. AJJ seemed to have the same type hair, gave a lot of detail, and she had a lot of experience with different hair types.

I will say that I think most of my questions were rhetorical, or were theoretical rather than specific, because I would just look up specific answers using the google search for the forum. I would mostly only ask if I couldn't find a decent answer with the google search (well other than the first few days lol) I did read a full week before I started posting...

I also really miss reddishrocks. I didn't so much get one-on-one help from her but her posts were always so INTERESTING. RCC's posts are always interesting, though almost NEVER pertinent to my hair.

Peda started after i did, but I loved her organization. That woman had all the links handy. I would know exactly what article she was talking about usually, but I never kept the links handy. I think Peda and I had read most of the same material at one point hah.
    Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    goobernut wrote: »
    OMG a ton of people were very friendly, but this is who jumps out at me the most...

DEL2C, and whatshercurl. Kathymack also was very helpful with any question. DEL was one of the very first people to make me feel welcome :)

I wouldn't say that I had a buddy, but AJJ does come to mind. We started around the same time and had very similar hair. There were a ton of us new guys at the same time though, and I am really doing them a disservice by not naming their names. AJJ seemed to have the same type hair, gave a lot of detail, and she had a lot of experience with different hair types.

I will say that I think most of my questions were rhetorical, or were theoretical rather than specific, because I would just look up specific answers using the google search for the forum. I would mostly only ask if I couldn't find a decent answer with the google search (well other than the first few days lol) I did read a full week before I started posting...

I also really miss reddishrocks. I didn't so much get one-on-one help from her but her posts were always so INTERESTING. RCC's posts are always interesting, though almost NEVER pertinent to my hair.

Peda started after i did, but I loved her organization. That woman had all the links handy. I would know exactly what article she was talking about usually, but I never kept the links handy. I think Peda and I had read most of the same material at one point hah.

yes yes and yes.
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I also have to nominate rymorg!! She answered a ton of my specific questions and sort of held my hand through trying out routines and products!
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You guys make me blush.:dog:
    Believe it or not, I'm a lurker by nature. I had a complex problem when I started CG and Bellasauna patiently helped me in that thread where I used the wrong terms over and over again. Newbie all the way.
    I bookmarked everything when I started because my sister was starting CG at the same time and did not have time to read anything. I'm glad I did, because the bookmarks have come in handy. I'm also the dorky kid in the class whose hand is in the air saying "call one me". So I started posting to help out other newbies since I had links bookmarked.
    I got tons of help from many people in the beginning, but Goob, Alexjoujou, and Wavy Wonder helped me out a lot. We have similar hair.
    Finale started at about the same time as me. Our hair is not similar on paper, but it seems to react the same way to products.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • finaleofseemfinaleofseem Posts: 900Registered Users
    pedaheh wrote: »
    Finale started at about the same time as me. Our hair is not similar on paper, but it seems to react the same way to products.

True story. I always look for you or Solid when I'm gonna try something on my hair. It was really great having both of you (and Dark_Waves!) to bounce stuff off of when I was getting started.

Speaking of - your hair likes honey, right? I still haven't gotten around to trying it ...
    2b/cMii, medium-high porosity

Likes protein and most oils, HATES mineral oil
    Summer Routine
    Poo: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
    Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Leave In: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture, SSRPT
    Stylers: Ecostyler Krystal, LALSG (in really high dews)
    PT: SS Repairing Protein Treatment
  • clickchickclickchick Posts: 29Registered Users
    I am a noob and both plunkybug and pedaheh have been awesome!
    Anne
    2b-ish, medium texture, very dense, low elasticity, light damage
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut
    Low Poo: DevaCurl Low-Poo 2-3x/week
    Product: LOVING BRHG!
    Routine: condition, comb, rinse, BRHG, clip, diffuse
    Does not like: Plopping, heavy products

Back on the CG wagon - 5/20/12
    Speaking of - your hair likes honey, right? I still haven't gotten around to trying it ...
    I loved honey last year. I haven't used it that much this year. I've been trying so much new stuff at once I can't say for sure what honey is doing to my hair. I'm also playing around with glycerin some.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    DEL was one of the very first people to make me feel welcome

Awwwwwwww I never knew that!!!! I didn't realize Mimsy felt that I helped her either.

I think after a while we get burnt out with the same questions being asked all the time. It's nice that others can step up with their experience to help out.

When I first joined it was ninjadog who welcomed me first then rudeechick, whatsercurl & kitara. There were others who were helpful along the way, but those are the ones that stand out. I made some great on-line friends because of this forum. :)

RCC is great for sure.

oh and timing is everything.......Alex and Goob are responsible for the 2's forum getting some action. They have been extremely helpful to so many!!
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
    speaking of similar hair, finale -- you know I think our hair is the opposite. Seriously, whatever styler you have used and liked was a complete disaster in my hair.

That or we live in complete opposite climates lol.

Rymorg has answered a ton of questions for me too :)

I have learned that no single person's hair is going to replicate mine perfectly but I can get a good idea of how something might act by asking several of the ladies with similar hair/similar climates and sorta taking an average of those answers hah.
    Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.
    For me Wavy really livened up the board with all her picture posting. Then I noticed AJJ jumping in a lot and she was so helpful to ME lol. Then we had a nice little community and its sorta stayed that way even though I bailed out for a while.

• finaleofseemfinaleofseem Posts: 900Registered Users
    Goob, I think you're right about our hair not liking basically any of the same products, though based on your siggie, we do agree on the CJDF, and probably some SS products, though maybe not during the same seasons.

I think some of it may be our hair properties, but some of it may just be that you live in Florida, and I'm in more moderate Pittsburgh, where the dews, temps, and weather vary widely based on the minute.
    2b/cMii, medium-high porosity

Likes protein and most oils, HATES mineral oil
    Summer Routine
    Poo: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
    Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Leave In: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture, SSRPT
    Stylers: Ecostyler Krystal, LALSG (in really high dews)
    PT: SS Repairing Protein Treatment
    Oh and I forgot Goob :)
    2c/3a - M/C - ii/iii

• rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    Awww thanks guys! I'm blushing too!

When I first started wayyyyy back the first time, Lavender curls gave me lots of help. I was able to repay that help with my PT/DT thread recently so it made me feel good!

I'm so glad that I can pass on my professional knowledge to you guys....it makes my day when someone says their hair is happy because of a recommendation I've made!
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Keep on posting guys :)
    2c/3a - M/C - ii/iii

• CheetaraCheetara Posts: 2,182Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Most helpful 2 - pedaheh. Overall, Kathymack but I might be biased because I love that she sells samples! She seems to have a lot of good info and always has a relevant link handy to answer a question.
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

I've learned a lot from rymorg the last couple months. Especially from the PT thread. I've learned a lot from reading Kathymacks posts too. Did you know she hadn't used a styling product before 07.
    Seriously Ped? No Styling Product? AT ALL?
    2c/3a - M/C - ii/iii

• clickchickclickchick Posts: 29Registered Users
    And, I forgot Rymorg2 :love3:
    Anne
    2b-ish, medium texture, very dense, low elasticity, light damage
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut
    Low Poo: DevaCurl Low-Poo 2-3x/week
    Product: LOVING BRHG!
    Routine: condition, comb, rinse, BRHG, clip, diffuse
    Does not like: Plopping, heavy products

Back on the CG wagon - 5/20/12
  • plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    For me, Peda was the woman with the links, and she is usually the first one to answer. I also got a lot of good information from the regulars on the 2's...Finale, Solid, WavyWonder, Alex, and Goob. When Rymorg started up again, she has been invaluable. Oh, and Jess too.

I have to return the favour and nominate CurlyPolkaDot as my newbie buddy. I started out just a tiny bit before she did.

I just want to say, I love all you 2s. :love1:

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

Feelin' the Love :love1:
    2c/3a - M/C - ii/iii

• rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    Awwww, y'all are so sweet! I'm glad to help.

KathyMack has always helped me with things, though our hair is totally different.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Seriously Ped? No Styling Product? AT ALL?

And that was only gel! I didn't really start with products until Jan, 08, but I'm a fast learner! At the time, I was 57.

Thanks everyone for the positive comments. I think a big thanks to Gretchen and Michelle is due for starting this site. It's my one and only message board. It's an addiction for me--and I've learned so much thanks to it being available.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yep! This site is Awesome :)
    2c/3a - M/C - ii/iii

• sweety10189110sweety10189110 Posts: 129Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I second that this site is definetly a addiction. I know I haven't been on this site very long but its thanks to all of you curlies (and I mean all of you :) ) that my hair is getting the overdue TLC that it needs. Without any of your guys knowledge I wouldn't have known where to start and I sure as hell would never of learned that my hair is a protein junkie!!! I'm sure I would have figured it out eventually but you guys just made it easier and faster to pick up on this stuff. ;)
    Mod CG since 4/10
    Products being used ATM
    Wash: KCCC, CJDF, AOGPB
    Rinseout:: Tresemme Naturals
    Moisturizing and Volume, Yes to Cucumbers
    LI: Giovanni DLI, KCKT
    DT: CJH&BDF, CJCR
    Every Day Stylers: KCCC, AOMM, Biotera Curl Cream, CJCCCC-Lite, CJCIAB, CJCQ, LALGs
    Bumpin'
    2c/3a - M/C - ii/iii

• NorthCoastLadyNorthCoastLady Posts: 230Registered Users
    It's hard to pick just one. :) I don't really post much in this section, I mostly lurk and read. Pedaheh, Rymorg, and MirCurls are the regs that come first to mind. I'm a message board/forum veteran, and I have to say this is one of the most all-around friendliest I've been a member of. :love7:
    2a in the front/sides, 2b in the back.
    Highly porous, dry, fine, low elasticity
    Currently experimenting- I'm on a mission to eventually use all homemade products for my hair!
    CG since July '10.
    co-wash with White Rain Energizing Citrus
    Using coconut oil on ends nightly
    styling with aloe vera gel
    DT once a week with mayo, egg, olive oil.
    Focusing on scalp and hair health first, then length.
    :D Keep 'em Coming people
    2c/3a - M/C - ii/iii

• justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    SOOOOO many! kellygreen49 was the first person that I interacted with here. She was so kind that she sent me countless PM's answering questions, following up after I tried something new and asked me lots of good questions and shared her experience. She also gave me the best advice which is as tempting as it is to try everything, try just one product at a time so that you can be a detective and know ingredients and specific products that my hair likes and does not like versus eliminating an entire line because perhaps one product did not work.

Others who has also been super helpful are Pedaheh, Rymorg, kathymack, Del2C and MirCurls. AuntNett and finaleofseem have also been so kind to answer my posts...oh, I know that I am forgetting someone!!
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights